Questions about breeding bonded rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is really interesting.

I have two does (4.5 and 5 months almost) who have lived together since 7 and 9 weeks. They're best friends and love to groom each other. I plan to breed from them so feel awful that I'd have to serparate them. I was planning on trying to rebond them after their litters so they could live together all winter and whenever they weren't pregnant/nursing.

I was also thinking of trying to bond my other doe to them, so that for the winter they could all live together, having the run of the shed, instead of it being divided into three, but not sure if that'd work, because the other doe only knows them by living next door. Though they are all laid back friendly rabbits.

I would love for them to stay together when they had babies. But one of them, the older one, recently tried to attack a baby that managed to get into her cage! (from the doe next door). So I would be too scared I think . . .

I will definitely keep them next door and really hope they can rebond after . . . that way they'll get a cage twice as big and a friend to live with, which would be nice.

Though I haven't been able to find a buck for one of them, so I'm not sure I'll breed her, I might wait til the spring.

Does anyone know what it'd be like if one had babies, if the other wasn't pregnant and they lived together? (and the mother of the babies would be the one who tried to attack another baby, the other doe was friendly to the baby).

OK :biggrin:.

Here are the does in their rabbit shack, or so we call it. It's also known as the Bunny Ranch. In some of the photos you'll see the cages my husband made. We don't really use the cages unless we are going to be gone from the house for a really long time. We don't really leave to often but when we do I'd rather be safe than sorry.

DSCN0468.JPG

We keep the grass long around the outside run so that they feel safe. The bottom is galvanized chain link fencing covered by soil. Clover is planted out there.....only it gets eaten before it gets big enough :). It was mad from completely recycled materials and the only cost we had from it was the mortar. It took about 1 week because it was 20-30 deg outside.

DSCN0470.JPG

One long cage with separators. I'll admit that I did do a lot of the work myself during the late night. If you look at the back there is a hatch that is lifted up during hot days when they are in their cages. We have to go out there this evening to put wood on the sides of the cages because the rabbits are jumping on the ledge and hiding behind and on the sides. Silly girls :).

DSCN0469.JPG

DSCN0471.JPG

DSCN0473.JPG

DSCN0474.JPG

I love these rabbit but the older 3 are mean! Well not mean just very scared and shy. We think it's cruel to leave them in separate cages. The last time they was in a cage was about a month ago when we went on vacation to TN. When we let them all out together it was like a big family reunion:biggrin2:. They have never fought or even showed signs of aggression towards each other. Just don't put a buck in there with them like I did today out they will attack! They ganged up on my poor Peter:(;
DSCN0476.JPG

who is only 3 months old. I didn't think they would do that! His testicles haven't even dropped yet.

Well there's my little group, well colony as I should call it now:).

And I forgot to show you the Keeper of the Hares;
DSCN0477.JPG

Meathead or viciously vicious pit bull rescue. He found the snake that killed my Mini Lop in my avatar. :) He's my man. She happened to be a rescue also and my most favorite rabbit of all time. Her name was Gizzy. She passed last week.

Cool looking rabbitry :)

About the 2 does, one kindling and one not: the first time out for the 3 does who were raised together, 2 kindled, the other one didn't take. Everything was fine. The 2 moms kindled in the same nest tunnel, the 3rd doe became "aunt Vienna". Once the kits started to come out she just ignored them. When they tried to nurse on her (we had one kit who was DETERMINED to be adopted by Vienna!) she'd just hop away from them quickly. After awhile they figured out she didn't have anything, and by thenthey were eating grass and hay...they turned into one big family. LOTS of playing.

Thanks :). We are going to be turning our 660 sqft barn into a rabbitry with running water, insulation, and heater. That however is a job for fall time. I'm not good with the heat.

This has been a very informative thread, as I have a feeling I will be dealing with the same issue of bonded rabbits with our Rhinelanders. Out of the 6 that we have, 2 of the does are sisters. When we purchased them they were together but after we put up a few more cages (we didn't have enough the day we brought all of them home since we didn't think we'd bring home a car load lol) we split them up as we didn't want them to start fighting and getting moody with one another.

Well that didn't work out as the second we split them up they had a down right fit. So then we tried putting them in cages right next to each other. They still had a FIT. So now they're back to living together. They share a bowl, even though we have two in there; groom each other non stop, lay ontop of eachother, and can't sleep without leaning up against one another. :p

Tis cute but thank's to this thread I'm not as worried about breeding time (if they do bond). :)

The bunnies should be fine if there that bonded, they would probaly share a nest box and look after each others kits, that would be cute!!

Latest posts

Back