Poll: What type of litter do you use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe there is a Home Hardware somewhere in the Lower Mainland:D

I travel from Chilliwack to Maple Ridge to Vancouver, so I know there's one somewhere.

Thanks for the tip Pet_Bunny

--Dawn

We've been using CareFresh the two weeks we've had Bunny, as both litter and bedding, and because she's litter-trained, we've only used about 3/4 of our current 5 liter bag (not sure how that translates into actual lb weight).

We are, however, looking into trying wood pellets (we'll look for Woody Pet, but I'll probably go with what's most recommended) for her litter, and sticking with CareFresh for her bedding, since it lasts so long. :)

I don't use any litter at all! It took a while, and many messes were made, but now my bunny has two bathrooms: The bottom of her cage and the shower room in my apartment. I don't keep her in her cage anymore, but she has learned to go back to the cage to do her business. One side of the cage has a wooden floor for her to stand and lay on the rare times she's caged and the other side has metal bars that allow the waste to go through to the pan. I empty it every day and twice a week my cleaning women scour it. So when Qingqing (cheeng-cheeng) is in her balcony room she goes over to her cage. When I'm home and she has free reign off the apartment, she uses the shower room. I have a toilet in a small room and a sink and shower in another room. Qingqing settles her little bunny butt over the drain in the corner and does her stuff. Well, she's not always over the drain, but even when she's not it's easy to sweep the poop pellets into the drain and wash away the pee.

The first several months I had her I tried to get her to use a litter box with newspapers. It worked somewhat, but not all the time. This summer I moved to a new apartment and she picked up right away that she could use the shower room. However, if I leave the toilet room door open, she uses that one. It must be something to do with a small room. I don't know how I am so fortunate to have a rabbit that doesn't make much of a mess! I'm just a beginner rabbit-lover, and have learned a lot from this forum. I haven't been around for a couple of months because I spent six weeks in the US during the Chinese New Year holiday that the students have every year. I'm glad to be back on the forum and reading about your buns and seeing their photos! Someday I'll learn how to post photos of my New Zealand White, too.

Nancy

i use a layer of carefresh on the bottom ofwhere my binine hides & than I put a thicker layer of shreadedpaper from our paper shreaded this seems to work well

I used Woody Pet wood pellets for a long timeuntil my TSC store stopped carrying it. Now they have "Equine Fresh"(horse bedding) and it's even cheaper - $6 for 40 pounds and works justas well as Woody Pet.

I use Yesterday's News and it seems to workpretty well. I don't notice a smell of urine in the room ever.Sometimes when I change the box though, I think my bunny thinks they'repellets and tried to eat a few. I think they're non-toxic though andshe doesn't eat them on a regular basis or anything, just rarely duringchanging.

I use Feline Pine. I might look for ahorse stall bedding at the feed store if I can convince mymom. She doesn't want to buy a bale of hay either... *shrug*she's paying for it.

Wood shavings from a petshop:?

I hate it, gets everywhere, so messy, especially when they come in the house (which isa lot)

Would rather use carefresh or something similar but it's not me whobuys it so will have to make do.:sighAh well, at least it'sabsorbent and not smelly:)

hunnybunny63 wrote:
i use saw dust but i have them outside so there is no issuewith smell. i jsut change them about once a week expecially as theyaren't very good at using them yet!
Just checking, you don't mean actual dusty sawdust do you? You meanwood shavings? I know in the UK we call wood shavings sawdust a lot,but in case members from other countries aren't aware of this and useactual sawdust (ie the dust that's left over when you saw wood;))

WARNING,
ACTUAL SAWDUST IS NOT GOOD!!!!!

My answer's changed!!

Since that above post, we found a tack and feed place near us, and havebeen using wood pellet horse stall bedding (aka wood pellet bedding)ever since! :)

i use dried pine shavings. i foundsome horse pellets called clean stall at the farm store today tho so imight switch to those although the shavings are working fine.

For Tumnus and Lucy (and any foster bunnies) I use Equine Fresh (very cheap!)

For Basil and Max I use Yesterdays News. Max has the breathing problemsand it seems to be better for him than horse pellets(lesssmell and such).

Latest posts

Back