POLL: How Did You Get Your Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm curious as to how some of yourcame about gettng your special bunny/bunnies. So vote in the poll andfeel free to post with an explanation surrounding the circumstances!

"Mixed" - I got Zoey from an awesome breeder butMocha and Spice were babies from a friend's accidental litters. I stillcall it rescuing them because she was giving them away around Easterand who knows what would have happened to my baby boys had someone elsetaken them (actually, I swear one of their brothers is in our localshelter right now).

Hi we got 3 of ours from a pet store and one from a person a my husbands work.

Susan:apollo:

i got mine from all different areas

breeders from england ireland and wales
petstores
and i have rescued a few

infact i got a new bunny today, i was meant to be looking after heruntil there owners came back from holidays in october they just told metoday they dont want r5 back that she looks so happy here:?

she is a beautiful broken rex one off the nicest i have seen

Basil was from a lady who could no longer take care of him

Max was from Petco (this was before I knew about rescues)

Tumnus was a rescue, living in the woods for a month

- Pipp - madea couple of panhandlerswho had her on a dog leash on a busy corner in downtown vancouver anoffer they didn't refuse -- $40.

- Radar - contacted a Vancouver rescue organizationtelling them I'd fostera bunny nobody else would take, theydropped off Radar and ran :biggrin:(although it turned outhis only fault ishe's black and people don'tadoptblack orwhite bunnies with pointyears). The rescue shut down a week later, so IguessI adopted him by default, but I would haveanyway. (Not a lot of personality, but he's asweetie).

- Dill and Darry - abandoned in smallbare wire cages in anunheated shed for close to a year, discovered by Aurora who broughtthem to me. They were unadoptable (Dill's anipper,Darry had some serious cage aggression issues, nowgone) so I kept them here.

- Sherry - a foster from another local small animal rescue, SARS (neverdid find out anything more about her than that), she went behind myback and bonded with Dill, thus ensuring a home for life.(Smart bunny!)

sas :) and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Well, I'm kind of mixed too. I got Pepsi from afriend of the family who used to breed Netherlands, so that would bebreeder. I got Pebbles from my cousin when her doe hadalitter. Pebbles was sort of a gift, but she asked me first,so kind of inbetween gift/rescue.I consider Poppy atrue rescue though. She was originally going to be sold as meat, but myfriend saved her. Then my friend couldn't care for her anymore, so thenI adopted Poppy.

Pipp wrote:
- Radar - contacted a Vancouver rescueorganization telling them I'd fostera bunny nobody else wouldtake, they dropped off Radar and ran :biggrin:
ROFL! Poor Radar, that's too funny.

Haley, I had no idea Mr. Tumnus was living in the woods for a month! :shock:That poor baby!

I guess since I started the poll I better reply with Harper as well,LOL. Harper's a rescue. I got him from a pet store where I used towork. They ordered him as snake food for a customer's 16 foot boacontrictor. I didn't know he had arrived Friday evening and was left ina small carrying cage Friday, Sat., and Sun. with no food, water, orbedding. Come Monday, I found out he was in the back of the animal roomand asked why. They explained and said the girl who ran the animal roomwas going to call the customer when she arrived for her shift and tellthem the rabbit was there for him to pick up. Well, I threw the guy'snumber away and when he called a few hours later, I told him the rabbithad never arrived. I was fired, of course, but I walked out of therewith my baby after I started a war in the store andinvolved aload of customer's who began to rant and rave after I made a sceneabout them killing an innocent rabbit. See what a loud mouth can getyou? A bunny!:D

MBH: yeah, he's pretty tough. Not manycould survive that long out there. The amazing part was that he wassodifficult to catch. I would think he would be slower frombeing weak..it took me almost 2 weeks to catch him (live traps wouldntwork so I had to net him). What an ordeal!

It makes me so sad about Harper. He is so lucky. The worst part is thatyou know they just went out and ordered another one to feed the snake.Ugh.

I got my bunny from a petstore, around Easter. Iknow, I know. But my BF was planning on getting me one for severalmonths before. He found out from someone at his job that there weresome at a petstore in Albany. We went up there, I thought to just getout of the house. I was in Torrid, shopping around, when he came up tome and said, "I ran into someone I thought you should meet, follow me."I walked down across the mall and he lead me into a petstore. There wasa cage with little reddish brown bunnies and a cage with a little blackone and a little grey one. I walked up to the cages and the little greyone perked up. She started washing her face and then was sniffing atme. My BF asked me if I wanted her and I knew she would be coming homewith me right then. :bunnyheartI am happy with my rabbit, I just wish Iknew what breed she was, I think she is a chinchilla rabbit of somekind. The staff at the petstore didn't even know if she was a girl ornot.I don't know if I will have more than one bunny at atime, but I am kind of isolated right now. (I have been out of work foralmost a year with a broken ankle, and have had to have screws put intwice now) So I am sure once the public finds out I am a bunny lady, Imight get hit up to take in strays.

~Star~

Starina wrote:
Iam happy with my rabbit, I just wish I knew what breed she was, I thinkshe is a chinchilla rabbit of some kind. The staff at the petstoredidn't even know if she was a girl or not.
Have you tried posting her pic in the rabbitry? One of our breeders may know!

the way i got Domino is: my aunt had theparents, and she bred them so there were three babies(i think)and forsome reason which i don't quite understand, she didn't want him. so mymom and i brought him to our rabbitry(no longer) and he became part ofour family(my mom and i named him Domino) and he is now 15 years old(outlived his brother and sister) and is only now staring to show signsof health problems.
~if you want to see pics of him go into ani-lover's blog~

Mopsy we got because she was turned out to be"coyote food". We were moving and had the whole house packedup when the kids and their friends told me they had found twobunnies. Went to take a look and sure enough two dutchrabbits. We went to the woman who owned them andwas told by her boyfriend they were "annoying, smelly and a pain in the<bleep>" and when I told him he should have turned themover to animal control he said he wasn't paying 40 bucks to turn themin when the coyotes need to eat too. So one person in thecomplex too one bunny and we took Mopsy. She had been loosefor about a week and was very thin and terrified. She's oursnow. I've tried several times to find her a home as we werejust supposed to be temporary, but so far I think she's gonna stay ours.

First of all let me say that I never had anyintentions of owning a rabbit. Okay so I work at a pet store and oneday this guy came in with a little white bun and said "Anybody want arabbit?" Something clicked and I said "Oh I do!" and proceeded to callmy boyfriend and ask if it could live with him. Needless to say I gotrid of the boy and Rabbit lives with me and my parents. My momcallsher her grandrabbit -lol- Soooo thats how I got myprecious girl :inlove:

Ringo and Connor were from a pet store. Samanthawas from a shelter. A friend surprised us. Teresa was rescued from abad situation and Dallas was adopted from a rescue.

I got my first bunny Rodney from a pet store. Iknew nothing about rabbits at the time and unfortunately didn't thinkto go to a shelter.

I got my second bun Layla through my vet, who was advertising a bunny free to a good home.

Savannah1687 wrote:
My mom callsher her grandrabbit -lol-

My MIL does the same thing. My SIL got a tattoo memorial for her dadlast week and wants to put stars around the tattoo for any grandkids...there are none. She said that she might have to get one for the rabbit,since none of us are having kids anytime soon. :rabbithop

~Star~

Let's see....Tiny (flemish giant) - BREEDER
Tio & Kyo (Nethies) - SAME BREEDER
Puck (Holland Lop) - BREEDER
GingerSpice & SugarBear (Lionheads) - BREEDER

Connie (lionhead) - Rescue/Shelter

I would rescue a bunny again from a shelter or whatever if it was in abad situation - but to be very honest with you - I prefer to deal withbreeders. I usually know what I'm getting, can go back to them foradvice (some of them love pictures later on) and I just feel like I canget more information about the rabbit from the breeders.

Of course, we don't have a shelter within a 5 hour drive (one way) andI am a breeder...so of course I would lean that way. But I became abreeder after getting rabbits from breeders and learning from them.

(I know lots of folks like to support shelters and I'm all for that -but sometimes I think breeders need someone to stick up for us too!Good breeders will try to breed not just X number of bunnies for money- but breed for a quality rabbit with a good temperament, etc.)

Peg

I got both of my bunnies fromshelters. Best decision I ever made. I can tellthey're so much happier now than they ever were in theshelters.

On the breeder topic. It would be so wonderful if there wastruly no need for shelters, if no animals could be found there, and wecould all have animals derived from breeders. Maybe one day...

Hello Pipp,

Could you tell me what kind of bunny that is in your pic. We are verynew to the bunny world, but have been doing a lot of reading. Thepicture you have is the same as our new found/ rescued bunny.

TYNewmom

Latest posts

Back