Orphaned Cottontails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanky

Reaction score
Help. A week from last Thursday a young boy ran over a nest with his lawn mower. All the babies died except one. He was trying to release the baby in our sub near a wild rabbit he saw when some friends of ours saw this and told him about me "the lady who loves bunnies" in the sub. I have had bunnies of my own now for a several years.He brought the bunny over and it was tiny, I imagine not more than 2 weeks old. I researched the Internet on what to do with the baby and found the link you provide here to the House Rabbit Society. I bought some goats milk and fed the baby with an eye dropper. I provided it a clean cage and towel and some water and kept a close eye on it. It seemed to bond to me as if I were it's mother. It would run up my chest and lick my neck, then crawl to the top of my shoulder and fall asleep. It was so sweet. I've found orphaned bunnies in my yard before andcontacted a rehabilitator for advice on what to do. He said to care for it until the white band on its head disappears, then you must release it or it will never survive on its own. This was my intent with this baby bunny. Well, it lived 2 1/2 days and then very suddenly it kept falling over to its side and pushing with it's front paws and moving it's hind legs. It died shortly after and I was terribly upset. What could have been the cause of his death? :(

Latest posts

Back