older member but just rejoining group

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momto1

Reaction score
I was a member of this forum many years ago with my mini lop rabbit and sadly he passed away unexpectedly after years of ownership. I got busy with life, school, kids, work etc. and never got another rabbit to replace my Lester. However on Saturday, while working at my one job which is a vet clinic someone abandoned their poor rabbit at our clinic doors during the night. I instantly fell in love with this little guy, who is either a mini or holland lop and I am currently fostering him/adopting him at my home. If an owner comes forward and has a legitimate excuse for how the rabbit wound up abandoned at the clinic I would of course return him.

So back to our new bunny, my daughter name Dovahkiin which is from Skyrim, he is probably between 1 and 3 years old and I have NO IDEA why he would be abandoned. He is super calm when picked up and just stretches out in your arms and cuddles, he uses a letterbox religiously outside of his cage and he has so far been curious but friendly during supervised visits with my dogs and cats(who are all used to small animals). He is still getting used to our family but is adjusting well. We bought him oxbow adult rabbit pellets and timothy hay and he is eating them very well. He loves romaine lettuce and just today tried a little bell pepper so he is open to trying new things. The only thing we are worried about is scheduling his neuter at the clinic I work at. I worry that he is at the upper end of the estimated age and worry about surgery being too difficult for him. I attached pictures of him the first is him at the clinic when first abandoned and second is him at home demanding love.

0727191451a.jpg

Attachments

• 0727192153b.jpg
    0727192153b.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 14
Welcome...back...to the forum! Glad to hear you have a new bunny in your life (barring any takers). We've also had seasons in our life where we did not have a rabbit for awhile. Life just seems to happen. ;)

Even if he is closer to 3 years of age, I would not worry too much about surgery. Rabbit rescues routinely fix rabbits of that age and older. The knowledge about rabbit care seems to have grown quickly in the last couple decades so you may be surprised at some of the "newer" care info.

(For example, with my first rabbit in the late 80's it was recommended to me to feed peanuts in the shell as generous treats. Now that's considered a big 'no.')

If you still have a favored rabbit savvy vet around, neutering should be safe enough.

thank you! The vet that I work for is very rabbit savvy. I have worked for him for many years. I trust him with all my animals (dogs, cats, goats, rats, birds, reptiles). I just worried about his age but I know health wise it's better for him to have it done and I'm hoping it'll curve the one issue that we have found with him (humping). That is the ONLY negative that I have found with him, that we will work with him on and hoping the neutering will help). If we sit down on the floor to bond with him he will undoubtedly attempt to hump usually me.

I would suspect he is younger rather than older. If someone has taken care of a rabbit for years then they are less likely to abandon that rabbit after all that time.

I got a bunny that looks just like that! He was abandoned too but sadly a month ago he passed away. His name was Flapjack and he had a tad bit more white than your cutie!
E4A08C96-7BDA-4DD4-ADFC-B0D09F906A0C.jpeg B9429DCD-D4EA-45F4-BC70-C1B1AA460C16.jpeg

Every time I look at shelter bunnies, I see expensive breeds and perfectly fine bunnies that of course all would make the perfect life partner... Here too, I see a perfectly fine, adorable bunny with enormous, floppy ears he seems to be hiding behind like the shy little cuddle bug he obviously is.

Ah wait, you said he was already humping you. Maybe not that shy then.

Still, whatever the reason why he was abandoned, it's obvious he was at least decently fed. Whoever made sure he was found and taken care of by pros, might be crying somewhere (no I'm not excusing such thing as abandoning your pet in the middle of the night, but there is much, much worse).

Please take care of this little cutie, he really looks like he needs all the love in the world.

Latest posts

Back