Newbie needs Help! My doe has stopped being housebroken.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacemomma

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I have aMini Rex doe named "Velveteen" (I know, its not a very original name),who will be 2 years old this month. She is the first rabbit Ihave ever had. She has been perfectly litter box trained forat least 1 1/2 years. This last month she has been urinatingand dropping pellets wherever she is in the house. She evenwent as far as dropping pellets all around the extra litter box I haveout and not even one poo in the box. :( The droppings are notas bad as the fact she is urinating under our beds and other places.

Has anyone had experience with this or advice to give? Shestill uses the litter box when she is shut in her cage.

Thanks in advance,

Marta

Is she spayed? She may be getting into territorial marking, though I'm not sure. . .

No, she is not spayed. I have justlocated a vet, in the next city over, who takes care of rabbits and amplanning on spaying her soon.

Where she goes just seems random though.

Hi Marta and welcome. I think Velveteen is a great name for a rabbit and shows she must be much loved :).

I'm still a novice with rabbits so I can't give much advice, but havethings in your house changed at all recently? Or have you movedfurniture around? New people? New smells? I know Cher had big problemswith spraying when she moved her girls cage for the Christmas tree, andit stopped as soon as she put everything back to the way it was. Myboys and girls used toterritory mark and it seemed prettyrandom, but since they've been neutered and spayed they've gone back tobeing litter trained. If she were mine I'd definitely be looking forwhat might have triggered it off. Mine sprayed from the moment theirhormones kicked in, and they've stopped now their hormone levels havedropped. Have you been able to check with a vet that there's nothingphysically wrong with her? I hopethe answerissomething simple and easy to sort out :D

Kate

Lacemomma wrote:
No, she is not spayed. I have just located a vet,in the next city over, who takes care of rabbits and am planning onspaying her soon.

Where she goes just seems random though.
Random markings are sometimes territorial.... it still could beher needing to be spayed. They do some crazy stuff when theyget all hormonal! Glad humans don't have anything like that!;)

Thanks Kate. I did have to travel withher over Christmas without her usual cage. I'm trying tothink if she wasn't using her box before we traveled. Maybethe Christmas holidays did upset her. I am a CertifiedVeterinary Technician and she seems fine in every otherway. I'm hoping to get her spayed soon.

Marta

Any new animals, other rabbits, recentlyintroduced into your home? Anything occur thatcouldaccount for the "necessity" to remark orovermark territory?

Anything that could have gotten her angry, therefore, causingher to react negatively? Sometimes we can insult our furrylittle friends without intending to. Link tohttp://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.htmlfora proper explanation of "rabbit speak."

Buck

Buck,

Thanks for the reply and the website info. No new animals inthe house or anything else new. That's why I'm a liitle confused.

Marta

Buck Jones wrote:
Sorry about multiple posts below. Was experiencingproblems. Anyone else not able to use the spell check on thetask bar?
Actually, I had trouble with it earlier today (notthat I use it much LOL) then, tonight I couldn't even gethere. Said the forum couldn't be found! :shock:

Latest posts

Back