New Rabbit, New to Rabbits Online

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDarling23

Reaction score
Hello All!!
I am new to rabbits online and bunny motherhood and could really use some advice! I took in a 1 1/2 year old Netherland Dwarf who I have named Penelope. It obvious that she was never really groomed or taken care of so her nails are ridiculously long. How would I go about safely clipping her nails (which are black) without hitting the quick.

Also, she seems incredibly shy and doesn't want to leave her cage (store bought. Will be building her a NIC cage this month) when I try to let her explore the room she hops right back in the cage. I have left her all sorts of fresh veggies and toys doesn't seem to want to try any of them. Is this normal? I've only had her for 3 days so I'm guessing she may need to acclimate. She is perfectly heathy and pretty darn cuddly. So in love already. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1407365960.741581.jpgView attachment 11741

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1407366022.260429.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1407366022.260429.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 101
Here's a link to a video that I found very helpful in learning how to trim my rabbit's nails:

http://rabbit.org/how-to-trim-your-rabbits-nails/

If you've only had her three days, she is definitely still getting used to her new home and that's why she prefers her cage. Does she have a hidey box to go in to? Rabbits like to hide when they're scared. I've had my rabbits a year now and they just keep getting more and more comfortable with us as time goes by.

Shining a light behind the nail can help to identify where the quick is. It may be easier for this first trim, to take her to the vet to have it done. Often they will do it for less than $15 and no exam fee charged(you'll have to check of course).

She may be a little shy and tentative, but doesn't look too nervous or scared from your pictures. If you have slippery floors near her cage, that may be the issue, some rabbits really don't like slippery floors. Or it could be she just isn't used to not being in a cage and that's where she feels safe, but will start getting more curious over the next few days/weeks and venture out on her own. Most important thing for a new bun that may be a bit shy or nervous, is to ensure they are eating and pooping normally. Once you are past that, then you can work on bonding with them and helping them feel safe in their new home. Here are some tips on ways to help bond with your bun.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=29064

Awww … I just want to say that your little bun is very cute and she should warm up to you in a few days. Like others are saying, just lay quietly and wait for her to come to you.

So cute! Looks a bit like my Felix. :)

Welcome to RO! :wave:

I wanted to give a quick update!! Penny is opening up a lot more and is because quite the character. I have started litter training and she's already taking to it even though she isn't spayed. And she is LOVING her new home I made. I really am hoping to see a binky from her. I want to know she's happy. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1407611940.326041.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1407611949.845762.jpg

That looks like a great set up! Just a word of warning, be careful of those cables that are behind your storage cube furniture, little bunnies like to nip and nibble at those sort of things.

Great setup! You may need to consider a lid for the top though; I know Felix would take advantage of that and jump right out!

Latest posts

Back