my 9 rabbits :3

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who would YOU have chosen if you were in that situation? (read my post first)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Circle wrote:
Great! She's let loose in the summer. She always comes back to our yard to rest, eat, drink, and play with me.

By let loose I am hoping you mean in a covered hutch! If she is running free in your yard she is easy prey for hawks, eagles, owls, coyotes, cats, dogs, foxes etc.

I would hatefor you too lose her after all the bunnies you lost!

We have a tall 6 ft. fence in our yard (not the see-through kind), with enough space for her to squeeze easily out underneath if she needs to. And we live in an area where there is very little predators. A chance of her being killed would be slim.

I am not trying too be mean or anything rabbits loose in a back yard is not safe. I had a dog who easily could jump over my 6 foot tall fence. I had a friend with a 6 foot fence and her bunny was in a hutch and the neighbors rotty got in her yard and killed Oreo. Feral(wild) cats live everywhere and a little bunny whould make a wonderful snack, even some domestic cats will take a rabbit. Every city has urban preditors, foxes, coyotes etc, just because you can't see them doesnt mean they are not there. Plus birds of prey can easily spot out domesticated rabbits. A friend of mine lives in town and a great horned owl ate her cat. It doesnt matter where you live or if you think there are not preditores rabbits are never safe loose in a back yard. So many of your rabbits died a terriable death I would hate for Brownie too be added to the list. In your other post you say she is 2lbs, she is tiny and so many animals, heck even ravens and magpies could see her as potential prey. Please get her a cage/hutch where she can be 100% safe. Plus a slim chance of her getting killed wiould be too much for me too live with.

My rabbit seems much happier outside, and she doesn't like her cage. For a year we let her out in our house, but she never learned to use the rabbit litter box (as you can see in her cage-- the litterbox is there but the cage is MESSY). It got so bad that we had to call people to clean our carpets, and even that didn't get rid of the pee smells. Now we're calling people to change the carpets in our home entirely! We kept her in her cage for a couple of months, but she was just completely miserable. Outside she can hide in bushes and run away from predators if she needs to. My rabbit is very fast and agile.

Hmmm cats are also very fast and agile. I'm a new bunny owner too, but have had cats all my life and I've seen them get animals you'd think they never could. Like a bat, which my cat brought back still alive. So just be careful.

There's a reason why house rabbits live ten years longer than wild rabbits. You keep losing bunnies for really ridiculous reasons. It sounds like you'll lose this one as well unless you listen to people who are better educated on owning bunnies than you are.

There are many options available to you other than letting her run loose. If you care about your bunny you'll keep trying new things until you fine one that is good for you and safe for her.

Letting her run loose in the wild is cruel. I'm sorry but it is. If you can't keep your bunny safe then you should find her a new home or at least give her to a rescue.

I am going have to agree with everyone here. Foxes are also fast and agile, as well as Possums. Trust me. I live out in country, and I even hesitate to let my dogs in my FENCED in back yard. By the way, for what you have posted. Have any of your rabbits so far been spayed or neutered?

Yea, theres always predators for rabbits. It its something in the wild: owls, snakes, coyotes, foxes, racoons.... if your rabbit can fit under a fence, then so can a snake! And any birds of prey can certainly fly into it.

Not to mention all the predators that people keep as pets especially cats and dogs.. everyone has one. And hunters!! who may mistake your rabbit as wild game

If that doesn't convince you... think about if you were homeless, thats basically what your doing to your rabbit. That leaves him open to get sick without you knowing, eating poisionous things (like pesticides that people spray on their plants and crops!), or diseased things.. Ticks, mites... hot, cold? your rabbit needs a Secure shelter where nothing goes in and nothing goes out. Inside or outside

you have to understand that a rabbit is at the bottom of the food chain, everything eats it. Eeeeeeeeverything! It'd be better for your rabbit if you started trying to litter train it for the home, or gate off an area of the home for it to stay in where you can leave for the rabbit. All pets are messy indoors... i'm sweeping up hay everyday out of my carpet but thats part of the responsibility with a rabbit. If you want a pet that lives mostly outdoors, you'd do better with a cat, or maybe something you can keep something in a tank in your bedroom. like a hampster.. or fish.

You also need to keep in mind that birds of prey can literally swoop down and kill your rabbit. It's nice to give them outside time, but they should be supervised. Yes, rabbits are fast, but predators are often faster.

As for the issue with the litter box, do you have your bunny fixed? Are you watching to see where they like to do their business? Put a box ere they like to go most, and place any loose pellets in their box so they know where to go. Also fixing the rabbit can help.

I'm sorry, but this sort of situation is extremely neglectful and to be perfectly honest, plain uncaring about the rabbit's wellfare. This is just waiting for something to kill this rabbit. Predators, cars, teenagers (Don't think it can't happen, I know there are plenty of teenage boys that would do some nasty things to an unsuspecting bunny), disease, parasites, heat, cold, lack of food (What if one day, she doesn't come back?), poisonous plants... The list goes on and on.

I feel very strongly about this since my young girl, Buttercup, was also a rabbit in a similar situation along with her two companions, Skittles and Thumper (RIP). Buttercup was not in great condition and Thumper was even worse.

Thumper had been very fast and agile too until she was wandering outside the yard, was attacked by something and came back with permanent damage to her rear end, causing her to have an odd, limping hop for the rest of her life. She died far earlier then she should have because of the harsh life of living outdoors. I just hope that we got Buttercup out of there fast enough to prevent her such misfortune.

Too many people claim there bunny is "happier" but what evidence is there? Are you a pro at reading bunny body language when you admit that you don't really know much about rabbits? Do you think your rabbit is happy living in constant fear? Do you think she'll be happy when one day you go outside and find nothing more then some shreds of fur because something got to her first? It's graphic and tragic, but it's the reality. If you do not keep her safe, at some point, she will die far too young. She's a rabbit, and pretty much everything eats rabbits.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a rabbit outside if it is done responsibly in a secure, well kept hutch, and being brought in during harsh weather.

I don't mean to be rude, but I really only look out for the rabbit's well-being.

No, my rabbit isn't spayed. And I have tried pretty much everything with her. In that year that she was allowed loose in our house, I read books and internet articles about how to potty train rabbits. Spaying isn't an option, because my mom doesn't agree that rabbits need a vet. She says cats and dogs do, but not rabbits (I strongly disagree with this).

And as for body language, I know very much about when my rabbit is happy and when she isn't. I know she'll crunch her teeth when she's happy and sprawl out with eyes half-closed. I also know she's in pain when she grinds her teeth. Even since I've let my rabbit out, she has had a new freshness about her, like she is very content. Our bond has grown closer now too, because before, it'd be me going to her all the time and such. Sometimes I wasn't even sure if she really truly cared about me. But now, right when she hears me open my back door, she comes out of hiding to greet me. In a way, we both took each other for granted.

As for harsh weather, I heard pet rabbits could withstand very cold temperatures, more so than hot weather. Also, she always comes back to our yard, and she stays there for the majority of the time. We have a patio in our yard, and she hides there, plus under an upturned garden swing, which offers excellent protection from birds of prey and the heat.

I feel trapped at this point, and if it was up to me, I would keep her in our basement, not caring whether or not she pees and poops everywhere. But this isn't the case, because my mom ultimately gets the last say.

Yes, rabbits can withstand extreme cold. Buttercup, Thumper and Skittles all survived -40 and below winter, that does not mean it is good for them.

Just because they can withstand something, it doesn't mean they should have to.

Perhaps your mother shouldn't allow animals if she does not believe in an animal needing medical attention. I realise this is not your decision, but perhaps you need to save your own cash to care for your bunny instead. That's what I did for my horse and to this day, I have never had to borrow or have anyone pay for him because I support him. It's really the simplest answer. Work for her, save up your own money, build a cage and get her spayed.

We are all very worried about you and your rabbit. Females that are not spayed are very hard too litter train, getting her spayed will help a lot with litter training, if your Mom doesnt believe rabbits need the vet then its your job to convince her :) What if she gets sick will your parents not do anything and let her die or a treatable illness? Just curious where is your sisters bunny? Is she running loose too? I hope you understand that all of us here are concerned about you and your bunny. If your only choice is too have her run loose then it would be in your best intrest(Hers too) to find her a home where she will be safe.

The swing is upturned, and it makes it look like a tent for her. Birds of prey won't be able to see her from the air. And for a full year she was inside, not just 7 months (that was from an older post).

Here in Wisconsin, it doesn't get as cold as -40 below. At the VERY COLDEST it gets about -10 or -9. And as for saving my own money, I'm currently volunteering at an animal shelter once a week, but I can't drive, so my mom won't allow me a job.

My sister's rabbit is loose.... She never liked people or us for that matter. So when she was let loose, the first time she ran out from the fence she never returned. :( I saw her once after about a month in a neighbor's yard, so I'm sure she's safe. :/

I don't really want to give my rabbit away. I'm just going to pray and have faith God will take care of her. I'm very religious. I'm sure she'll be fine.

My sister's rabbit is loose.... She never liked people or us for that matter. So when she was let loose, the first time she ran out from the fence she never returned. :( I saw her once after about a month in a neighbor's yard, so I'm sure she's safe. :/

I don't really want to give my rabbit away. I'm just going to pray and have faith God will take care of her. I'm very religious. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Why would you assume she is safe? She just wasn't dead yet when you saw her.

I also believe in God. However, I believe that God gives us the gift of animals in our lives and it is our responsibility to take care of them. My neighbors growing up thought because they were good Christians that God would look out for their children. One of the kids drowned in the back yard pond. God also made parents for a reason.

Well, I said birds can't see her from in the sky when she's IN the tent.. The swing is upturned, and it looks like a miniature tent. When Brownie's in there, you can't see her from above. It's kind of like a burrow but above ground.

I don't know but I think she's safe because with these rabbits, I felt that there was a lot of miracles that was happening. Many times when some of them should've died and they didn't. I believe that if I really have faith God would help me.

again no matter what what you say or how you feel, your rabbit is in exteme danger. Birds of prey don't have to 'see' their prey to find it. They can smell, and hear very well. But this is just one predator your considering..

and ya know, i think we're all glad you believe in god and know god will keep her safe, and he will.. after she passes away. Right now her safty is in Your hands. You say miracles are happening to keep your rabbits living longer but should miracles have to happen? Should you be happy that your rabbit 'nearly' got hit bya car? Should you be happy you saw your sisters rabbit once? maybe put it into perspective

Would you be happy if your friend nearly got hit by a car? Would you be happy if you hadn't heard from your friend but saw her once in months? What if your friend ate a deadly mushroom? Rather than thanking god, you should be worried.... and make sure it doesn't happen again. The problem we all have is you don't really know what happens to your rabbit everyday. You don't know where she goes, what she gets into, what nearly happens to her.. Right now, she's being treated like a stray cat. She only keeps coming back because you have a steady supply of food.

If you don't wanna give her up then you Must make an enclosure for her outside thats gated off where she can't escape. Maybe make it around this swing you got that she likes? And theres alllllll kinds of ways to make money that don't include a job such as cutting people's lawns, cleaning people's houses. Walking neighbors dogs, babysitting, to name just a few.

We're all glad you love your bunny so much... but really, we're trying to save you from finding any more of them dead. After 6 dead? i think it's time to think about your rabbits safty than your feelings.

You guys don't get it at all. I'm not trying to be "neglectful" or "selfish." And Brownie isn't just coming back because I have a "steady supply of food." The moment she hears my back door open, she comes right out of hiding to greet me, even with her food there. And my rabbit runs at the first sign of danger and she only trusts people in our immediate family. I know God said we have to work for our prayers, but He also said "ask and I will give." He's said a lot of stuff, and at times like these, I'd rather put my trust fully in Him to keep her safe than to worry and fret, thus lessening my faith and getting her in deeper danger. My mom is stricter than you people realize. I doubt she'll let me do jobs like those, because she's scared something bad will happen to me.

A man was drowning and a boat passed by, he turned them away , "God will save me". A second boat passes and the man turns them away too. The man dies and goes to Heaven. He asks God "Why didn't you save me?" God replies "I sent you 2 boats!"
Maybe God has sent us too help save your bunny?

Back