Loki the questionable Lop...from the beginning...*image heavy*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipyr

Reaction score
Re-post from the Welcome area:

"I'm a new bunny mom from Maine. I had been wanting a rabbit for quite a long time now, and my bf and I had talked about it here and there. My Birthday is in about a week, and I was out of the country last week. While I was gone, my bf decided to get me a bunny for my birthday. He went to look at some that were for sale the day before I came home, planning to just take a look and bring me over the next day to pick one out. Well, he came home with one. He said the conditions they were kept in were horrible and he just couldn't leave this one there. Normally I would not purchase an animal from such a place, because it encourages those awful people to keep breeding :( BUT! I'm so glad he took this bunny!!

"Loki" as he is now named, hid until I arrived home. My bf lifted his hiding place so I could see him. He looked so scared. I very gently slid my hands under him so he was standing on them, and transported him to my chest, where I rubbed his head. At no point did he object to any of this and he seemed to really enjoy being patted. He'd had no human interaction from his "breeder" at all. I guess from then on he decided I was his hero, and he has come out of hiding, following me around, doing binkies and flopping all over the place, and just generally acting like a very happy rabbit. He *loves* being rubbed on his cheeks and around his ears, and will happily fall asleep while I do that to him. I can't believe how far he has come in only 3 days! I don't think I've ever felt such a connection to an animal before. I really, really love this funny rabbit!"

"Loki" was sold as a Holland Lop, but his face and ears are long. His crown is also quite narrow. My bf did say the adult rabbits (parents) were pretty small, but they may simply have been stunted due to their conditions. Time will tell, I suppose :) Whatever he is, he's my bunny!

So I did a photo shoot with him yesterday morning. I simply set up a background and some regular (non-flash) lights and threw some hay down. He loved hamming it up for the camera! I even used my on-camera flash to fill in the details, and he didn't care at all. He was doing binkies back and forth on the background and even did a playful flop, as well as nearly falling asleep at one point. He would go and eat a few bites and then come back over for some more pictures. What a goof! Here is the result of the session:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Oh man he does have some kinda long ears! I'm interested to see what some knowledgable rabbit folk say about his breed. I have to admit I don't know all that much.

9.jpg

Aha, I love this picture. I'm so jealous, I haven't been able to catch a tongue picture yet.

So here is a terrible cell phone pic, but I was rubbing him while he was laying on his favorite "blanket" (an old sweatshirt I gave him) and then got up to go to the post office, and this is what he did:

0923flop.jpg

Does the cuteness never end?? :D

Hi welcome to RO.

WOW what a beautiful Bunny:inlove::big kiss::heartbeat:. Great colour too.

You take very good pictures, I'm curious what type of camera do you have.

Susan:)

Hey Thanks :)

I use an olympus E-510 with the kit lenses. More important than the camera, though, is the lighting. I didn't want to use the strobes (flashes) that I usually use to take pics of my artwork, so I just used the natural light in my room, supplemented with 3 compact fluorescent light bulbs. It wasn't anything fancy. I also used my camera's flash on a low power setting, to "fill in" light, preventing harsh shadows and detail loss. After that, I used photoshop to give the images a little "pop".

The only really cool piece of equipment I used was a manual selective focus lens called a "lensbaby" for some of the shots. You can tell which ones by sharp focus only in one specific area, and a unique blur around it, such as in the last pic. Actually, the entire last group except for the second to last were taken with the lensbaby lens. These are very fun lenses. they tilt all around and have a ring for manual focusing. They give a very unique look and I think they work great for portraiture and also for macro photography. :)

There ya go...all you never wanted to know about my set-up, lol. Of course, it helps a lot to have an absolutely perfect and adorable subject ;)

Hey Thanks :)

I use an olympus E-510 with the kit lenses. More important than the camera, though, is the lighting. I didn't want to use the strobes (flashes) that I usually use to take pics of my artwork, so I just used the natural light in my room, supplemented with 3 compact fluorescent light bulbs. It wasn't anything fancy. I also used my camera's flash on a low power setting, to "fill in" light, preventing harsh shadows and detail loss. After that, I used photoshop to give the images a little "pop".

The only really cool piece of equipment I used was a manual selective focus lens called a "lensbaby" for some of the shots. You can tell which ones by sharp focus only in one specific area, and a unique blur around it, such as in the last pic. Actually, the entire last group except for the second to last were taken with the lensbaby lens. These are very fun lenses. they tilt all around and have a ring for manual focusing. They give a very unique look and I think they work great for portraiture and also for macro photography. :)

There ya go...all you never wanted to know about my set-up, lol. Of course, it helps a lot to have an absolutely perfect and adorable subject ;)

Awww! Whatever he is, he's gorgeous! I love the picture with his tongue out, it looks like he's going "eeeuuughhh!" and trying to spit something out.

He's so cute!! He looks like a colored up version of my Holly... I was told she was a mini-lop mix but she just doesn't look like any mini-lop I've ever seen... Maybe where the mix part comes in though. ;) Anyway if you figure out what he is, I'd be interested to know!

Oooooh I adore your bunny. And wow his ears! I especially liked the tongue picture where it looks like he ate something bad and the one where he was running and those giant ears of his are flying

HE is probably a Mini Lop mix. If he is a Holland Lop he is a what would be called a 'pet quality' meaning he doesn't meet the standards of the breed. Some Hollands can have long ears and faces, especially non-reputable breeders' rabbits.

He has very unique markings!

My bf just told me that his mom was small but that his dad was about the size of a puppy. I guess that would suggest either full mini lop with a smaller sized mom or a holland/ mini mix. Either way, this breeder certainly stuck to no standards, lol. But who needs standars when you have that face??? :D He started playing with his jingle balls this morning. So funny!

Haha ok! I finally subjected Loki to the terrible injustice of sexing and discovered, as I had started to suspect, that Loki is a *she*-bunny! :) I also made a little video of her a couple of weeks ago. here is it:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/Rna36xImP8s&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

I really need to update it, because she is even more adventurous and loving now. I sure love this little bunny. She's always so happy, it cheers my up if I'm having a bad day. :)

Latest posts

Back