it's bunny #4 for us!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Paul and I are probably getting another bunny! Yesterday a friend of a friend asked us if we want the rabbit they adopted from the animal shelter last week. He was kind of an impulse buy if you will. They got him to be a friend for their girl bunny, but it turns out she hates him and attacks him. I'm not sure what all they did in the way of bonding and setting up a meeting place for the two, but in any case they decided they don't have enough room for two cages (or want to try to bond them when it started off so poorly).

Incidentally, I was admiring this bunny on Petfinder all last week and jokingly trying to get Paul to go to the animal shelter to see him. It kind of seems like he was meant to be ours since I fell in love with him on Petfinder and was a little sad when his profile was removed, and here is an opportunity for him to join our happy little family.

His current owners say he is a very sweet boy, 3 1/2 pounds and about 1 year old and was neutered just last week. We're going to meet him on Friday at 7:30 and most likely bring him home then. I'm going to occupy myself by building him a NIC cage (hope he doesn't mind pink!) and getting his space ready.

Okay, I know what everyone REALLY wants is PICTURES! Well, here he is! As you can see, he is missing an ear. Since he came from the animal shelter, no one knows what happened but I'm guessing his mama groomed him a little too much when he was a baby. Paul and I both think his "little ear" is adorable and I think it may actually be what made Paul want to get him!

VanGogh1.jpg

VanGogh2.jpg

VanGogh3.jpg

VanGogh4.jpg

CUTE, huh?! I know we haven't met him yet, but I feel like he's a very special boy. Something about his face or eyes reminds me of Rory. They are from the same animal shelter, the shelter only gets maybe 8 or 10 rabbits a year. I can't wait to meet him :biggrin2: We were planning on getting a Flemmie as our 4th bunny if we were going to get another, but what's better than a 1 eared rabbit?

for starters, if he was neutered last week and they already found out that he doesn't get along with their female bunny, then by the sounds of it they introduced them far too soon... I'm pretty new to all this rabbit stuff but I have read many times that you are meant to wait a few weeks after a male is neutered to let their hormones settle down. but if it was the girl that the aggressive then maybe it wasn't his fault at all. maybe they introduced him to her cage and she was territorial?

and secondly, he is very cute! I'll be looking out for more pics when you get him home. by the sounds of it you are fairly certain about him so I am saying 'when' :p

I know what you mean about thinking he is meant to be yours... I had a similar feeling with my girl bunny, I felt like she chose me.

Yeah, Crystal, I mentioned all that to her, plus a bit more, but they definitely want to rehome him. She is actually a vet tech at our vet office and is pretty bunny savvy. Apparently, they brought their girl bunny to the shelter to meet the boy bunny, and they got along okay, ever since they got home the girl bunny has been doing her darnedest to rip him to shreds. She's clearly feeling very territorial about her home and they probably could bond the two eventually, but they don't want to try for their own reasons. I'm just glad they're rehoming him themselves instead of bringing him back to the shelter.

Fair enough... sorry if it sounded like I was judging them. I understand they have their reasons, like space etc.

It's all turned out well for the bunny and for you anyway. you get a gorgeous new bunny and he doesn't have to go back to the shelter. so it's all good :)

No problem, Crystal. I also don't want people to think I didn't try to give them info about how to bond rabbits!

Here are a couple more pictures of little dude:

VanGogh6.jpg

As you can see, the tip of his left ear was bitten off too. Poor baby.

VanGogh5.jpg

I want to name him Albion, aka Albie, but Paul doesn't like it. We'll see! He's been Vinny for the past week, but the shelter named him Giovanni and who knows what his name was before that so I doubt he cares if he gets a new name.

what a handsome bunny! im sure he wont mind pink:biggrin2: i also heartedly agree with your third post. it's better that he be rehomed than dumped back in the shelter. bonding takes time and patience, imho it's two steps forward, ten steps back!

dont know about names, but the name 'vinnie' reminds me of the footballer vinnie jones - you'll have to google this but im not sure he's a suitable role model for a respectable young bunny!

WOW! He's so cute! As good as the others are, I'm sure he'll fit right in. Rory is probably thinking "Man, what happened to just me!?" lol

Pink will be pretty with his lovely gray! He's man enough to have a pink cage!

Good luck! I sure hope he comes home with you!

Pennie, I'm quite thrilled even though this was unexpected! This guy has definitely been the easiest bunny I've ever got, if you will. My first bunny, Cinnabun, took several years of begging my parents. Rory, Tallulah, Skyler and Phoebe Mae all took varying amounts of gently prodding Paul. With this bunny, Paul said "Hey! Richard says his friends need to find a home for the rabbit they just got. They want to know if we want him. Here's his picture, isn't he funny?"

I'm sure poor Rory wishes he were still an only bunny. Sometimes I feel guilty for getting more rabbits when he doesn't like any of them. When he was an only child, he got to play out of his cage for about 10 hours every day. Now he has to share that time with the other bunnies. He still gets just as much love, attention and toys as he ever did though. I doubt it would make him feel any better if he knew we got the other bunnies because I love him so much and want more fantastic bunnies like him to love. Sorry buddy!

I know you've worked at getting the others as well! It's so funny that Paul fell for the one with a missing ear! How sweet is that?

Rory is like Bo - big grump butt. He's fine.... that's how some are. He's still loved and cared for - but I think it's funny how it went from him to all of these now! I remember when you first joined and talked about GETTING another bunny! :)You missed Cinnamon so much!

This new guy is just precious. Maybe Rory will like him? maybe he needs someone to care for.... give him time and if not..... let him be Mr. Grumpy Butt LOL!

Oh yay! He is so cute! Did the shelter know how he lost his one ear?

He is a lucky bun to have been adopted by you! Congratulations!:bunny18

Pennie, do you remember how Rory attacked me shortly after we brought Skyler home? I still have the scar on my hand. That's the only time he bit me and he was pretty darn vicious. I'm rather worried about how he'll react to our new boy's presence. I want to put a towel or stuffed animal in new boy's cage so it gets his scent, then give it to Rory and shower him with treats. Maybe it would help him associate the new bunny's scent with good things?

I'm thinking of keeping new boy upstairs and not letting Rory see me with him. Right before Rory attacked me, he was sitting at the entrance to the kitchen (remember he hates linoleum so he was sitting on the carpet) watching me hold and cuddle Skyler. Then I put Skyler back in his cage and went to pet Rory. I didn't even get to pet him before he bit, so I think he was angry that I was cuddling with an unneutered boy rabbit. He had already smelled Skyler on us for several days with no reaction but that was the first time he saw me playing with Skyler.

New boy was just neutered a week ago, so I'd imagine his scent will become less threatening to Rory as time goes on. He sees me play with Skyler all the time now and doesn't feel like biting me over it. And although he hates Phoebe Mae, he never tried to bite me when we brought her home. He did once try to bite me when I was holding Tallulah, so I think he definitely suffers from jealousy.

Sorry this is so long! I'm just trying to think of ways to keep Rory as happy as possible and me as not bitten as possible. I just gave the bunnies their salads for the night and it makes me so happy to think that soon I'll have 4 bun buns to feed. I have off work tomorrow so I'm planning to build little man's cage then. Then tomorrow at 7:30 we'll go meet him!

Isn't he, Alicia? I'm excited about his impending arrival! Today the big box of bunny toys I ordered from Busy Bunny arrived, just in time. I was only ordering for 3 bunnies so I feel a little bad that I don't have a special toy just for him. I'll be placing another order in July so I guess he'll just get two toys! I have approximately 30 willow balls, baskets and rings now though plus 6 grass mats so there's still plenty for him to pick from.

Ali, I made a thread on the Nutrition and Behavior forum about Rory. Maybe you could go over and look at it? You have so much experience with bringing new bunnies home, and also aggressive bunnies, so I'm hoping you can give me some advice.

Just getting the energy to post in this thread now, although I've been keeping up with it!

He is SOOOOOOO CUTE! I'm so happy for you guys :D So if I calculate right, it's afternoon for you now, and you're getting him this evening, right? So when I wake up tomorrow, you'll have him, and there'll be pictures in this thread, right? :weee:

He's lucky to be getting a home with you guys and your other beautiful furbabies!

Yep, Vinny as in Vincent Van Gogh. Clever, but I don't want to name him after someone who cut his own ear off because he was mentally ill. It's only been his name for a week so I don't feel bad changing it.

Paul is on his way home and then we're going to meet the bunny! I have his cage all set up, it's rather spiffy if I may say.

How exciting! not long to go then... he is a special bun. my disabled bun is very lovely.

your evening is my afternoon... so I might hear more news before my day is through :)

Latest posts

Back