Is it bad to give 1 piece of carrot every day?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliverBun

Reaction score
I have a 9.5 year old beautiful bun who is about 3 1/2 lbs. He loves carrot tops, but to get the tops I have to buy the whole carrot. I've been giving him a small piece of carrot with his dinner every night. He loves it, but I don't want to harm him.
So my question is, is it ok to give him a piece of carrot once a day, or should it really be less?

That should be fine as long as he's not getting other sugary treats. The poo will tell though. If he's not pooping normally, I would eliminate it.

I think he's 100% fine. I chop up a whole carrot for my English Angora buck every night. Although he prefers apples and broccoli. :)

There is nothing harmful about carrots. The reason why it is recommended not to give too much of it (or of fruits, or parsnip) is because there is more sugar in it than in other vegetables. So, if your rabbit isn't overweight (you should be able to feel his ribs) there is nothing wrong with giving him some. And rabbits really do love carrots (even if mine are loving parsnip over everything else, it's the only thing which will make them fight over the last piece XD)

I do the same thing. My grocery store only sells carrot tops with the carrots and I don't want the carrot to go to waste so I give them a slice a day. Then some times if I buy a bag of baby carrots and don't cook the whole bag, I will give my rabbits those too. They've had carrots everyday for a while now and I've gotten to the point where I don't want to disappoint them by not giving them their carrots. :carrot:carrot:carrot

I wouldn't worry about it too much if the rabbit is not overweight. I show my current rabbit, so I need to keep her weight down. She gets carrots in very small amounts. Rabbits LOVE the flavor of carrots. I had a Mini Lop years ago that practically bit my hand off if I didn't put the carrot in his bowl fast enough. That is definitely a quick and easy way to get a rabbit to go back into its cage. My trick is the papaya treats from Pet Smart

Great! Thank you for all the feedback.
Exactly--he's used to getting a piece of carrot every night, and when he runs to his dinner bowl I can see him looking for it. I don't like disappointing him. Plus, I'm not much of a carrot person and most of them would go to waste if my bun didn't eat them.I know that they're sugary and that I shouldn't feed him a bunch of them, but Ive never known how much is too much.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back