i'm new here!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticbuns

Reaction score
Thought i'd tell ya'll a bit about me and my extended famililes..i'm 34, married w/ 2 children, boy he's 6 and girl whom is 12. we live and work on an organic dairy farm in vermont ( we just got over a foot of snow, with another small storm for this wed) We have a golden retriever her name is shelby she's 9.5 and weighs in at about 180 ( fixed ) rescued from a horrible man who was going to shoot her, 2 cats rescued from our own barn i hand raised them for 6 weeks and have had them ever since, i have 25 rabbits of several breeds,some inside, some outside, we had 2 free roamers but with the xmas tree and the recent cord loving chewing theyve been restricted to cages untill the holidays are over, all have come from homes who no longer could care for them/allergies/terrified parents ( hannah a flemish lop mix was a recent petting zoo type place ( minus the petting part) and was taken in by a family who was misinformed of her, they were terrified of hannah so they stopped to my home to see if we would take her in ( she's extrememly aggressive and bites to beat the band) they are all on organic first cut hay right from our own feilds so i know exactly what they are eating as we have our soil tested. pellets and an array of fruits/veggies/ real branches and bark ( we heat w/ wood so its pretty easy) well thats enough for now..i'll be looking around the site and reading..its a pleasure to meet/chat with all of you!!

Welcome to RO :)

Would love to see pictures of your crew :p

I'm a similar age to your daughter.. does she like rabbits? Maybe she could join too then we'd get double pics :D

Seeya around the forum

Becca x

i do have a website, i've gotten some slack on it due to i sell the babies that come w/ the preg does that have been dropped off..not sure why..i didnt breed them..they came that way..i have bred a few times w/ my female as in my area there isnt a huge population of does in the humane society and we have no petstore within a hour from me..any ways. most of the buns are on the site in the photo gallery..

www.freewebs.com/celticbuns

i fine that the does that are dropped off pregnant their owners are often mislead about the sex' of their rabbits..figures right..i dont make a profit off the sale it goes back into the others food/vet ( we have a vet that frequents our farm so if ever theres a problem i'd consult him first, he's helped a few times with our retriever ) and any extra expensis that come from haveing such a large crew. i've had several items donated to the outdoor buns such as a heater ( although in good thought we couldnt use it as its open faced, in fear of a fire) blankets,veggies ( i an elderly couple who stop here often to see them they have dropped off numerous amounts of comforters and tarps ( i also had a comment about the tarps on the front of the hutches..i'm unsure why as they have lights in their hutches providing extra heat, i figured the tarps would help keep that in..now we have comforters over the front of them as its supposed to get extremely cold tonight.) so i'm alittle skeptical about posting the site anywheres as i think i'm doing something right while others are hastey about it..i'm a bit self consious about it..all ideas/comments are welcome. i know there are some rescues on here i'f you want to be added to a page i'd be happy to do so..

Welcome to RO!

You have quite a herd there! Can't wait to see pictures :camera.

That's really nice of you to rescue all those bunnies and other animals, and what a wonderful life they seem to have! :)

Emily

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for being nosey, but why is the "celtic" in the username?

celtic, hmm how do i define.....celtic meaning wiccan and all its being..i'm a strong believer in the natural life, from natural healing to herbology to feeling the earth/moon/stars around..odd i know, but if find it very relaxing and informative so thats where the celtic comes from

I also believe that i've brought alittle magic to the rabbits, they came from homes that dont want them anymore for whatever the reason is, they arent/werent wanted, so i like to believe that they've found a more humane/loving/giving home that what they had previously.

On another note i've agreed to take in 2 more does from a home 2 hours a way from me..although it wont be in the next couple days as the holidays are here soon as they arrive, i will post new pics. ( than i am at my all time limit..i will not be able to accept any others unless i design a new hutch.

Wow, I admire and envy you being able to give those unwanted buns a new and better life. I only ever rescued one unloved rabbit from her owners and couldn't take any more right now. I bet it's a lot of work and heartache

At first i was extrememly skeptical after the first 4 or so arrived..than i got bombarded with emails..so i took in the ones i felt were in grave need for rehoming by the time the month was over i was at 19, i still had some room, and my heart was into it like mad, than i noticed my days were getting longer..and longer and i was cleaning every 3 days several hutchs and i really thought to myself was it really worth it i mean i didnt tell these people to go buy a rabbit/kit, and later after a few months decided that it was time to move on to something less time consuming ( full clean up on hutches take 6-8 hours alone) with cleansing with vinager/water etc) but as i was cleaning the new ones, at first they were very skiddish, sometimes making me very nervous about entering their cages ( i've been bitten a couple times,,kinda hurts) and as days went buy and i spent time with them ( my kids are in school full days o i have ample time) offering treats in return for a few strokes or the occassional nudge, i felt pretty good that i could give them somthing their previous owners could not. home/love ( although i feel even the worst scenario of places have or can make time for a couple hours a day to pet/clean/feed a rabbit, i do it for 25 and still have time for every day life) sometimes feeding is difficult due to weather conditions, for instance, monday morn after a foot of snow fell, i made way w/ shovel to make a path passable safely for myself to get to the buns, commenced to grab water bottles took my glove off to grab the metal peice..and froze my fingers to it..i ran to the house and ran cool water over it..cussing the whole way.. than proceeded to get the bottles ( with glove on now) and get them some luke warm water..now this was all worth it cause not only did i get the best kiss's but i got those loveable eyes that say " thanks mom for loveing me...now wheres the food!!" so yea even thru trail and error and sleet and freezing rain.. and all the bad and good..its worth it..an i'm happy to do it...

Welcome to the forum! Like others have already commented on, that is quite a crew you have! Wow! I thought I hada zoo.

You have my admiration & respect totake in those unwanted/unloved bunny's. I am glad there are people like you who have the time and space for such an operation.

Do you sell your organic hay?

thanks unconditionally, we do on occassion sell our organic bales. i know my buns extremely love our first cut hay, it soft and green..smells good too..

eight hours cleaning is quite something. That takes commitment. I spent about an hour every day but I have only six .

i have 2 huge hutches ( with divisions ) outside, that house 11 of them, the rest are in a 13x13 room. 1 hutch containing a doe w/ 6 kits, 2 large cages 1 doe one buck in seperate cages,, tahn i have a 12 week old and 4 5.5 week old kits runnin thr room freely.. cleaning all of them including walls and floors plus the hutches walls ceiling etc takes about 8 hours.i've lowered how often to once weekly due to the weather..

I'd love to see pictures of the set up. Still looking for more ideas on rabbits accomodation

here is a nite pic..( i'll have to take some fresh pics as most are on disk lol)

002-2.jpg

here is what the divisions look like in the hutches

rainbows1492.jpg

binky much...

rainbows1200.jpg

yes they both due, we recently installed lights in the hutch on the left.. each hutch has 100 watt standard house bulb to help provide heat..they also have a huge comforter in front of the hutches to keep the heat in.. lighting is on 24/7 every day in winter..on from dusk to dawn in summer/spring/fall

Why would you need all the light? doesn't that disturb the natural rhythm of the buns?

Latest posts

Back