i want to adopt but i need to know something

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphopsmommy

Reaction score
I am considering adopting a rabbit but before ido i need to know if i should look for a male of a female. Ihave a female Hotot and she will be neutered by the time iadopt. Is it better to get a male or female and does itmatter what kind? She is a dwarf she have a problem with alop? Also do adoption places let you take your rabbit withyou so she could meet the new guy before he's a new guy?

Thanks megan and hip hop

If it's at all possible for her to meet potentialmatches before making a permanent decision, DO IT! Some rabbits seemnippy and possessive around a certain rabbit, but really enjoy thecompany of another. Just like people, they have their preferences. Youmight be able to bond a bun anyway, but if they have an initialattraction it'll be easier. It was basically love at first sight for mykids.

And I've heard it's easier to bond males and females together, as longas they're both fixed. That's how it is with my Harold and Judy. Andthey've never had a spat!

Good luck!

actually from my own views and experience,females get along much easier with each other than a male and female. iknow when i first got my male bun, him and my first fem bun didn't likeeach other. he would always follow her around and she wouldshoohim off. but when i introduced another fem bun into thegroup, they all got along with her quite well.

i'm not sure about the whole bringing your bun thing but you can tryand see if they say anything. i don't see why that would be a problem.if it is, get a bun that's energetic and gets along with you veryquickly. most adoption places allow returns if you're not happy

i forgot to ask,are the buns you wantto adopt, about the same age and breedas your current bun? ifit is and it's fem, it would work much better than male. if it's ofdiff breed and/or age, then male would be better

Male/female pairs are the easiest to bond, however you can bond male/male or female/female, it just may take a bit more time.

I have three rabbits bonded and all sharing the same cage, but it tooka lot of work introducing my third (male) into the already bonded pair(male/female). It was well worth the effort though!

Good luck and let us know what you ended up getting. :)

i'm not sure which bunny i'm going to adopt but iwas thinking about a netherland dwarf or a dwarf lop...they areadorable! so we'll see i'm keping my eyes open:shock:

Megan and hip hop

p.s. thank you for all the advice!

I have 2 males that were gotten about a weekapart, took to each other with no problem...but they areyoung. Going in to get fixed next month!

Good luck!

my bun is probably 8 months old so if i get ayung male then it won't be a problem i don't think..judging from theadvice but i'm afraid that he'll spray..do they?

My four month old Netherland Dwarf bucks do spraytheir territory - and try to spray each other's territory if they getthe chance.

Peg

hopefully not that's my only fear withmales. Other than that I think it would be cute for her tohave a male companion..lol..to much estrogen in the house as itis! lmao!!

Latest posts

Back