I am back. It's been a hard day today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
diffrence in color would indicate eitherinternal injuries, or possable breathing issues. would be a VERY badsign. I hope he comes around I would recommend getting thelittle dude to a vet ASAP.

Edit: To fix a big oop's I got the bunnies mixed up.

Poor gum color is a medical warningsign. Bluish, purple or very pale gums indicate poorcirculation -- not uncommon when the rabbit is in medicaldistress. Purple color can indicate pulmonary distress (suchas pneumonia).

I have seen rabbits in severe medical distress with very poor gum colorreturn to normal health, butpoor gum colordoesindicate a serious medical emergency.

I am thrilled to hear how he is doingtoday! I would still consider hiscondition guarded because of possible kidney/liver damage, but thingsare most certainly looking promising!

Pam

More good news - He just peed on my couch.

Strange to be happy about that. My husband wasn't mad either... :DI think he cares for the little bugger.

Hi Amber,

Glad to hear that Theodore is improving from yesterday - which was horrific for him.

I still hope you are planning to see a vet soon. Whatever it is inTheodore needs to be tested because it will come back and something'sobviously not right.
I'd take him in to see what the doctor says and have a urine test done on him to see what his levels are for his kidneys, etc.

I have one friend who's rabbit went into kidney failure who died in aweek, while others lived a couple of years with a good quality lifewith the help of fluid therapy.

Prayers continue for Theodore.

:pray: :rose: :pray:

I hope we can get to the bottom of his problem and correct it.

-Carolyn

P.S. Keep tabs on his temperature and weight.

Blimey! I'm sorry I dont post much anymore .. but i DO look on the board, and this post has made me want tocontribute as it reminds me of my baby, Felix, he was the same .. foryou to get your bun out of those spasms, and eating again, is fantastic!

What's the word on Theodore, Amber?

-Carolyn

Thanks for asking...

I think he will be just fine. I was getting concerned aboutthe potential for bacteria growth in his cecum, so I discontinued theglucose. I am still giving him 10-20mg aspirin twice a day,(depending on how he seems to feel) and I took away his pellets andmush. He has all the leafy greens he wants,andbroccoli, carrots and radishes. He wasn't eating muchyesterday, so I was still syringe feeding him then.

This morning, I found someone's web page about their rabbitry, and theytreat their rabbits' blockages with acidophilus, digestive enzymes andmineral oil.

I just happen to take probiotics and enzymes with wheat germ oil formyself, so I gave a bit of this to Theodore this morning. Then a whilelater, I was watching him as he stared out our sliding glass door, andhe started eating a dried leaf we had tracked in. Then hestarted eating a few pieces of hay. Then, he went over to hisplate and started eating his radish leaves and dandelions and broccoli!And he ate and ate and ate! And he drank waterfrom his crockas well.

So I know something must have moved for him tohave this kindof appetite again. I am still waiting for poops, but I have heard itsaid that patience is necessary when treating a blockage. Atleast I (hopefully) won't have to force him to eat and drink anymore...

Fingers are crossed...

Oh! I almost forgot to mention! He has beenzooming around the house this morning, and all of a sudden, my husbandshouts Whoa! What the heck was that?!?

I asked him what happened, and he said Theodore was just runningcircles around my chair, then he stopped right at my feet.All of a sudden he just kicked his hind legs out to the side and tookoff!

I said, That, my love, is a Binky. :bunnydance:

Theodore doesn't do that much, so he had never seen one before.
It sure warmed my heart, I'll tell you what.

Hi Amber,

I'm encouraged that Theodore has gotten his appetite back, but stillquite concerned that he's not out of the woods. Knowing that he'shaving to take the baby aspirin is saying that the symptoms are stillthere, they're just masked. That may put a band-aid on it, but whateverit is that caused this still needs to be identified.

NutriCal has cod liver oil in it and is usually quite effective whenworking as a laxative - as it has laxatone in it as well. Personally, Iwould not use mineral oil. Too risky. I know people that have done itand have lost their rabbits. Whether they used too much of it andnothing could get through or they accidentally got some in the rabbit'slungs.

Realizing that you can ask 10 different people and get 10 differentanswers, you have to decide what works for Theodore and go that route.At least with enzymes, although the verdict is still out on howeffective they are with blockages, it is said that the enzymes willbreak down the mucus that holds the hair together. I would be verycareful of using any kind of oils, especially knowing that NutriCalalready has those ingredients.

I'd still strongly urge you to see a vet and at least have histemperature checked. If it's viral, an abnormal temperature couldindicate that. I'd also, if you truly think it's Stasis, have an Xraytaken so that the doctor can see what's going on and his urine testtaken to check his levels.

As I say, that's just my opinion. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Prayers continue for Theodore.

:purplepansy:

-Carolyn

Thank you Carolyn, you are right - there is a lot of conflicting information.

I am not giving him mineral oil, but I did give him just a touch of wheat germ oil.
As far as the aspirin goes, I am only giving him a little bit as aprecaution - he can't tell me what's going on... I plan to stop givingit to him when he poops.

It is tearing me apart that I have no money to take him to thevet. I don't want to be a dead-beat and just not pay mybill... We are having a hard time financially, as I lost my job lastmonth, which was fine until my husband suddenly became disabled with aherniated disk in his back. We are living on savings until heandI can get back to work... I am afraid of subjectingTheodore to the stress of a ride in the car, as well (He's never been,since the day I brought him home, and he didn't handle it well)

That said, I believe if the Lord wanted my baby, He would have takenhim the other day. I have faith that the will of God is stronger thananything I or a vet can do, and as long as Theodore's not sufferinglike he was the other day, I will be thankful for every minute we areblessed with together.I have come to terms with the fact thatone day, he will leave me. I can only pray that it is apeaceful passing for him, and that I have more time with him before ithappens.

I want what's best for him, and he seems happier today than he has been for a while...

I think I have been guided somehow through all this, and I pray that this guidance follows through.

Thank you for that most informative and hopeful and helpful link, Pam.

:rose:

You are a God Send.

:kiss:

Dearest Amber,

I fully support, understand, and respect you and your situation.

It's heartwarming and comforting knowing that Theodore has a suchloving, nurturing, and kind Mother/nurse. You are doing an amazing job,and he's certainly responded.

Thoughts and prayers continue to wrap around you and Theodore fromhere. Please keep us posted - especially about those binkies and hisappetite!

:bunnydance:

-Carolyn

[align=center]:energizerbunny:[/align]

[align=center]

I am pleased to announce that the little one is giving me nice plumppoopies now. I have changed his diet to include more leafygreens and am giving him a limited supply of pellets now, with all thehay he wants.

I am convinced there was an intestinal blockage. His pebbles changed many times through all this.

But I think they are back to normal now, because my dog started eating them again...
:disgust:

[/align]

[align=center]Thanks to all for your prayers and support. I couldn'thave done it without the encouragement and advice I got from you all.
:kiss:[/align]

Latest posts

Back