I am back. It's been a hard day today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey, I found you guys again. I posted a long time ago. It is great to be back.

Anyways, my bunny Theodore is a Netherland Dwarf. I have hadhim a couple of years now. I noticed yesterday he wasrefusing his favorite treats and I began to worry. Today whenI woke up I saw that his poops were all tiny and shriveled, and I wasconcerned he was going into stasis. I ran out to get somefresh hay (he had a bunch of hay, but he's been living in it for awhile now...) but when I came back I couldn't get him to eat any.

I just knew this wasn't good. I picked him up and held him,and sure enough, he began to act very ill. He was twitchinghis head and breathing very fast, and he was acting panicky. I began tolose it when his front paws started stiffening up and shaking, and hestarted flopping down on my lap and rolling over.

I was faced with a difficult decision. He seemed like he wassuffering. I wanted to make it stop. I have nomoney for euthenasia. My husband said he would take care ofit for me but I just couldn't let him go like that. I justheld him steady as he shook and twitched and grunted (he always grunts)

It seemed like he was fighting, and it was killing me. Maybehe was holding on because I couldn't let go. I put him in hiscage and covered it up. I could hear him struggle every oncein a while, then settle down. A couple times I thought he wasgone.

I put my hand on him and he was still breathing.

I couldn't decide if I should let him be alone to die, or if I shouldcomfort him. I did what my heart told me. I put himup on the couch with me and he was nuzzled between the couch and thepillow. He seemed very peaceful there and I was releaved thathe would be calm as he passed. His breathing stopped again. I saidgoodbye and kissed him on the head, and he jumped up and hopped to theother end of the couch, and flopped down.

I had had enough. If he was going to take this long to go, Iwasn't going to ignore him. I got a straw and some water, andturned him on his back. I used the straw to drop water in hismouth. At first he spit it out - **** rabbit. I didit again and he took it. I gave him a couple more drops, thenI went to the kitchen and got the syringe. I made some pelletmush with warm water and gave him a couple ccs. He tookit! I put him on the couch and put the dish in front ofhim. He started eating the mush! I put a dish of water infront of him. He started guzzling it! OMG I was SO relieved!

So now I have washed his runny poops from his behind. Hestill won't take any hay. I am offering him water and mushevery 15 minutes or so.

I have the worst headache! And to think I considered putting him down...

Has anybody else had a rabbit get this sick and survive? I know I amnot out of the woods yet, and I probably won't sleep tonight.Is there anything else I should pay attention to for him? Pamnock, doyou have any advice for me? Please, any advice would be welcomed.

Amber

Amber,

I'm so sorry to hear about your little guy. Ideally, it wouldbe best to get him to the vet and on an IV. If the vet feelsthere is a bacterial infection, he may recommend antibiotics.

If you are unable to get him to the vet --

Keep him warm. Continue to try to get some warm pedialyte orthe thin pellet mush into him. (I use Nutri Cal). A tiny bitof baby aspirin will help with pain. A small amount ofglucose can also be helpful (a tiny amount of honey will do).

I have seen some very ill rabbits recover. Hang in there, I know it will be a tough night.

Pam

Thank you so much. I never would havethought of aspirin. If he doesn't eat, should I force thefood with a syringe? How much how often?

Also, I notice now that when he eats or drinks, his teeth grind veryloudly now. His jaw kind of tenses up and shuddersto. Is this a sign of anything? Do rabbits get tooth decay? Iknow my jaw tenses up if I have a sensitive tooth...

I was sure stressing this, because Kibbles died eariler this year andhe had similar symptoms the day before. Unfortunately, I wasat work and he was gone when I came home... I am not sure what took himeither.

If Theodore was in stasis, he wouldn't have runny poops or eat anything, would he? It seems like the poops got really small, and thenstopped for a while. Now he has that notable stinky bunnybutt. Maybe he was able to pass whatever had him blocked?

Hi Amber,

If you have a heating pad, consider putting it in an area whereTheodore will be able to lay on it. Put a towel over it and keep it onlow. Arrange it so that if he gets warm, he can move to an area off ofit.

If he's going through some type of seizure or convulsion, I'd opt totake things out of his cage like a hayrack if it's inside so that hedoesn't hurt himself.

:pray:

Prayers and thoughts go out to you and Theodore from here.

:purplepansy:

-Carolyn

hi,

i would get your bunny to the vet asap.try & getfluids in him even with an eye droper.keep him calm.keep talking tohim i hope he gets better fast

good luck

michelle

Yes, a very sick bunny can survive....I too wasfacing possibly having to put my Corky down and one point and hestopped breathing in my arms several times...it was a long few weeksand very expensive vet bills...but my vet and I got him thru it andthats all that matters...the issues were different but what I'm tryingto say is it can be done.

I agree that getting him seen by a vet is a very good idea, I know I couldn't have gotten Corky thru his illness alone.

www.corkyscave.net and go to Corky's story if you'd like to read about it....

Please keep us updated and I'll keep you and your lil one in my thoughts and prayers.

KibblesNTheodoresMama wrote:
Thank you so much. I never would have thought ofaspirin. If he doesn't eat, should I force the food with asyringe? How much how often?

Also, I notice now that when he eats or drinks, his teeth grind veryloudly now. His jaw kind of tenses up and shuddersto. Is this a sign of anything? Do rabbits get tooth decay? Iknow my jaw tenses up if I have a sensitive tooth...

I was sure stressing this, because Kibbles died eariler this year andhe had similar symptoms the day before. Unfortunately, I wasat work and he was gone when I came home... I am not sure what took himeither.

If Theodore was in stasis, he wouldn't have runny poops or eat anything, would he? It seems like the poops got really small, and thenstopped for a while. Now he has that notable stinky bunnybutt. Maybe he was able to pass whatever had him blocked?

I'd try a tiny bit of food once an hour and 1/4 piece of baby aspirintonight. The teeth grinding is due to him being in pain --hopefully the aspirin will help ease the pain a little. Aviral infection with runny poo can lead to stasis.

Pam

[align=center]:jumpforjoy:He's eating Hay!!!!!!!!!!!:jumpforjoy:

I gave him 1/4 a children's aspirin and a sliver from a glucose tablet. His eyes seem a bit brighter now.[/align]

[align=center]:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]:thanks:to Pamnock, Carolyn and everybody else for your thoughts and advice.[/align]

[align=center]I sure have a lot more hope now than I did this morning.
[/align]

Hi Amber,

As you know, the sooner Theodore is seen by a rabbit savvy vet, thebetter. If there's any chance of you making it to the hospital tonightif they run emergency hours, I'd go. His symptoms are beyond homeremedies and care.

If you're unable, as noted, all you can do is keep him as comfortable,warm and hydrated until you are able to see a doctor. Know that you arenot alone tonight. There are people that are on this forum throughoutthe night because we're worldwide and our nights and days cross.

As Pam and the others have said, don't give up hope.

Praying and thinking of Theodore.

-Carolyn

KibblesNTheodoresMama wrote:
[align=center]:jumpforjoy:?He's eating Hay!!!!!!!!!!!:jumpforjoy:

I gave him 1/4 a children's aspirin and a sliver from a glucose tablet.? His eyes seem a bit brighter now.[/align]

Our emails crossed. I just saw this!!
:tears2:

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Go Theo :bunnydance: Go Theo :bunnydance: Go Theo :bunnydance: ...

-Carolyn

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

i am sending you and your little one all the prayers i can. please hang in there

Nicole

Most excellent news! Keep up theliquids and please keep us all updated! Continue to keep Theowarm to conserve his body's resources. (However, don't let him overheat-- especially if you suspect he has a fever -- baby aspirin should easeit if he does).

How does his gum color look? Should be healthy pink.

Pam

He was out and about in our house lastnight. He's a little more lethargic than usual (Along thelines of a 6 pound rabbit as opposed to the energy this little 2 poundguy usually has)

He made it through the night just fine. I only see one poopin his cage, but he's not a runny butt anymore. Don't know if this isgood or bad. Also am not sure if he is peeing.There's some moisture on his towel but I can't tell if it is freshwater or used water...

It doesn't look like he ate any of the mush I left for him so I guess Iwill keep on feeding him today. But he is not acting like theblack bunny is at our door today.

Back