How Many Bunnies Is Too Many (If There Is A Number)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammygirl

Reaction score
I told my boyfriend that I want like 20+ bunnies and he told methat was crazy, but he'd be okay with it. How many bunnies do you think would be too many, if you had sufficient space and money?

it all depends on each individual and what you can handle. I have three and that is enough for me, someone else might think anything over 1 is too many, and then there are people on here with 8 or more that are ok with that number.

Twenty can be a lot to handle...why so many?

I think a comfortable number is 10 or less...if you have lots of time to spend with them.

The problem is - the more you get - the less time you have for each bunny and the less $$ you have to spend on spoiling them and buying them salad greens and stuff.

Of course, I am a breeder and I have a lot more. But when I was a pet owner only - I found that 6 or 7 was a great number for me...and I was home full time.

I agree with the others. It depends on how much time, space and money you have! I have 4, and love that number. However, I do feel a little guilty because when Rory was an only bunny, he spent all day, every day out of his cage when I was home (which is most of the time) but now he has to share. When I only had 2 bunnies, I really, really wanted a third. Three is a good number too. We came about having 4 kind of accidentally, but #4 is a wonderful boy. I think my limit, when we have a house with more space, will be 6 or so. 15 years from now I don't see myself having more than 3 or so though because by then I'll hopefully have small children and maybe not as much time to give so many bunnies enough daily attention.

I'm a small scale breeder and have 11 adults and 9 babies at the moment, for a total of 20. :) I have plenty of time daily to pet, hold, and talk to each one if I choose too...I don't always have time to, nor would I even if I only had one on some days. But they're all sufficiently spoiled, some are litterbox trained, many have carpeted cages, all have toys, they get daily unlimited hay.

They all have "pet quality" lives, and I don't think there's any reason you couldn't have 20, if it is within your means to do it. Especially when you can bond pairs of 2 or 3. Rabbits don't really need (or enjoy) too much snuggling in most cases. lol So a few minutes with each every day to give them love and attention will be quite enoug, and you'll be doing them all a favor by giving lots of rescued bunnies a good forever home.

One thing to prepare yourself for, though, is that a "veggie diet" will likely be out of the question at the point of 20 adult bunnies. I don't believe green diets are healthy anyway...but just incase a veggie diet is important to you, that's just a forwarning.

are we talking inside or outside?

Inside, I wont say.

Outside, you can't have too many. Unless you can't keep them healthy, clean, exc...

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
Inside, I wont say.
LOL! Good point, hadn't even thought of it.

With 20 bunnies inside, you would probably need a serious ventilation system. Even with daily cleaning, the ammonia from 20 indoor bunnies is overwhelming. Once I moved from 4 to 5+ bunnies is when ours moved to the garage.:p

Outside, or in a well-ventilated shed or garageis probably the best place to keep such a large number.:)

For where I live right now, I think my absolute max would be if I got one more, so four. I wouldn't really want more than that here, since we have limited space to keep them in. I think 3 is a good number though, I'm not planning on getting any more until we move unless something comes up.

However when we move, I want more. I want to build a huge indoor/outdoor room for them and take in ones that need homes. Not too too many though, no more than 10 max I think, probably less than that. I don't want too many, because I still want to have enough time to bond with each of them individually.

Unless you want to make money off of them or run a shelter, I don't see why anyone would get more than a handful. The 2 I have and me form a comfortable social group, I can't imagine wanting to risk making them unhappy by bringing in another rabbit.

On the other hand, gotta catch 'em all!

Right now I have 1 bunny. I really want to take this one home: http://www.edmontonhumanesociety.co...ptions&view=details&adoptionid=22583&Itemid=6

So I might be getting #2. I was interested in breeding, but I am going to wait until I have a backyard and room for a shed/garage. I want E lops and possibly American Fuzzy Lops.

Actually, my current bunny isnt very social with people, so Im seriously considering getting her a buddy. I just have to make sure she is a she first, I dont want any babies right now.

I've only ever had 3 bunnies at a time. And that was because my friend had one and I had the other two. Im thinking I should only get one this time.
But we will see.
Personaly I wouldnt ever have 20. They need a lot of time, attention and cleaning everyday. And I know I could never devote that much time to 20 bunnies. 1 to 3 are enough for me.
But, I guess you need to ask yourself, can I clean up after, feed, cuddle, and give attention to all those bunnies? Can I really afford to feed all those bunnies? And another important question you need to ask yourself is: If 1 or more get sick at a time, CAN I afford the vet bills?????
Hope this helps!

I currently have 3, but if I could get Lilli a bonded mate, I would go for 4. If the house was cleaner (less stuff), I would consider more, but I would have to have the finances in place first.

If I had the time, space and money, I would be surrounded by big fluffy bunnies. I would prefer to have them inside, but if I could, I would have bunny rooms.

The number of pets that any one person has is really up to the person. Some people can take excellent care of multiple pets while another person can't even provide minimum carefor one.

We currently have 10 indoor bunnies and 5 cats...no kids. SO we have invested the money we would spend on sending kids to college to keep our bunns healthy and happy! We spend upwards of $60 a week just on greens, $20 a month on pellets, we buy hay by the bale so that only costs us $3 every 2-3 months and litter pellets are $8-$14 dollars a month. I make all our own toys for the bunns so no high costs there...cages are NIC's so inital output for panels was high, speuters are $125 for females and $80 for males each...yup it adds up...especially if you count in emergency vet services...or like me you can learn to treat most minor things yourself...and our vet considers us a rescue...something about trying to bring home HEALTHY bunnies for a change! lol so we get a 10% discount off of services...but it does add up over time!:D

When we decided to start taking in rescues we sat down to decide A) how much room we had available B)could we afford the vet care since most need to be speutered right away and vet costs will increase as they ageC) at what point do you have so many bunns that you no longer have time to invest in just enjoying them?

We have a 1000 square foot house...with 2 bunns unbonded in the livingroom...2 unbonded boys in the diningroom, and 6 of the most problematic (unbonded)in the spare room in the back of the house...so that leaves the basement landing, backhalland kitchen for the cats and the bedroom, bathroom and library for the humans! Three, three and three...that seems fair! lol:D

Danielle

For me personally one bunn is enough just because the idea of cleaning two cage and giving two different out times is horrible. If I could get a bonded pair and garritee they stay bonded I would take two but one is enough for me.

Plus the dinamics of my house work all pets get along enough that I dont have to worry about anyone.

I got a foster bird resently and intergrating Skylar in has been heck the dog is scared to cats wants to eat and the rabbit has not seen him.

Just be careful what you wish for. Making a household work with any numbers of multiplies is hard. Everyone has to get along for it to work

I think it is so different for everyone...I know for myself that two was enough for a while. But neither were lops and I really wanted one...so I got a third.

I'm back down to two now and I am satisfied with that - but I know that if finances were perfect and we owned our house I would either want to foster a bonded pair or adopt a bonded pair.

at one time I had 17 rescues--lots of time and money, but I couldn't say no to shelter bunnies facing extinction. I had to convert my shop to a bunny haven and made my mother's garage into my shop.

To be completely honest 20 bunnies sounds nuts to me. However, every person is different, it might be right for you.

I must say, however, that a lot of places actually have limits on the number of animals you can have. It might actually be against the law to have 20 rabbits unless you are a breeder.Because you are suggesting 20 rabbits I'm assuming you dont live in a city, but still.

Also, they would smell really bad if kept indoors.

I think it would really depend on how many rabbits you had now. If you have like...less than 10 I doubt you would actually understand what 20 rabbits would be like. I cant even fathom how much work that would be. I know it wouldnt be fun for me.

All i'm saying is do what you want, but add rabbits slowly in case 20 just isnt your number. Most animal shelters dont even have 20 rabbits at a time.

True...very true...:)

With our 10...I had to go to India for three weeks for spinal surgery...I had to find a housesitter for our time away...I had to hire alady from Scarborough 2 1/2 hours away and had to pay uber bucks for her to live in(think one months salary)! There was no one in our area who could or would look after that many rabbits...

I don't notice the amount of work our kids take...but they lady rabbit-sitting started freaking out about a week into the trip and started emailing us to see if we were coming home soon...she had a spaz attack...I guess she thought she would be bored or something...when you add a rabbit here and there it is just one more furry body...one more mouth to feed...you really don't notice one more litterbox, etc...

Isuggest starting off with 1-2 and then if time and money permit add one more...but keep in mind changes in your life too...how old are you? Are you planning on going to school? Can you bring your rabbits with? What about kids? What if you develop allergies? If you love rabbits...put A LOT of thought into it and think of all the little if's and's and but's...it's easier to think about it now rather than have to re-home a bunch of bunns later on! Remember they can live for up to 10 years health permitting! Where will you be in 10 years time? :shock: lol :biggrin2:

Danielle

Latest posts

Back