How can I make him more comfortable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklyyy

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. :)

Two questions!

First, Zeke is about 11 months old. He used to not mind beingpicked up! I could carry him around for about 20 minutes, andhe wouldn't mind. Now he HATES it! He'll be okayfor about 10 seconds, then he'll start jerking around in quick, suddenmovements, breathing heavily, and squeaking. Is there someway to get him more comfortable with being held again? I knowthat bunnies, in general, do NOT like to be held. However,sometimes it's necessary! When the fire alarm goes off in mybuilding (I live on a college campus -- it's usually a prank or adrill, but you never can be too sure), I grab him and run!Also, I usually carry him from my bedroom to the guest bedroom in myhouse so he has a larger, safer area where he can run around.It's also challenging to clip his nails without holding him.Any ideas? He's an extremely affectionate bunny and lovesbeing handled, but just not lifted.

Also, is the general consensus around here that it's a good idea to geta second rabbit? Right now I serve as Zeke's playmate in thathe loves to climb all over me, lick my face, follow me aroundeverywhere, etc. But, would he enjoy bonding with anotherrabbit instead of, well, me? My parents say 'no,' right nowto another rabbit, even though I'm 20 and in college (I come homefrequently to work and I stay here over school breaks withZeke). I wonder if not getting him a playmate would be adisservice to him in the long run.

Erin

PS: Because I can't resist, here's a photo of theking of the (messy) castle,himself:

zekemess.jpg

oooh what a cutie............

Unfortunately I do not have a solution for you w.r.t. carrying him. Idon't think you can turn this around anymore. Most rabbits just hate itand get terrified

I can only advice you, that if you pick him up, do it quick and presshim against your body so he can't make strange movements or in case offirealarm....... use a bench.. much safer for you and your sweetie.Cause in all the hectic holding a bunny which is jerking around ain'teasy.

If you want to move him from one room to the other room why don't youuse the bench also ? So you don't need to carry him or maybe you canteach him to run from his bedroom to the guestbedroom (when it is onthe same floor).

For clipping nails you could do the trick with the towel. For most people that works.

Greetz,

MJ

orion,:thanks:

I was able to hold Zeke for about five minutes or so today!He actually calmed down when I rocked him up and down by bending myknees. Good call about using a towel while clipping hisnails! I forgot about that trick. ;-)

Does anyone have an answer re: getting Zeke a playmate? I'mconcerned about having him as an only bunny. I reallyam. He is so affectionate and friendly and cravesattention! I am there for him A LOT, but sometimes he'll justsit around staring into space, and then flop over.Repeat. I wonder if he wishes he had a friend.:love:

Erin

Hello,
As far as transport to and from college, I think it would be easier ifyou only had one bunny. I did that with one guinea pig and it was somuch easier. I too was worried that since I was in class all day myguinea pig was lonely and my friendly loving guinea pig no longer likedto be held or play with humans. It sounds like your bun is loving and Iwould hate for you to go thru what I did as pets in dorms are a greatstress releiver. Bunnies usually sleep most of the day so Zeke probablydoes not mind being alone.
As far as the picking him up, I can suggest two things
1. wrapping him in a towel or sheet when you need to run if the alarm is going off, I am sure that is very scarey for him
2. I use one of the small size litter boxes or a basket with a stablebottom when I need to carry my rabbit, she hates to be picked up aswell. that is the only thing that worked for me.

** those are the 2 tricks that worked for me, good luck, and by the way what a cutie**

Thanks so much for the response. :) I appreciate it.

There are other times when I think that he'd be better off as an onlybunny. I'm a concerned "parent," what can I say.:D He's very possessive of me as far as chinning all of myfingers! Silly guy.

Anyway, thanks again!

Erin

Would carrying him in a small pet carrier be easier for when the fire alarm goes off?

I can't pick my bunny up at all, he hates it and I'm not very confidentwith doing it. If there's ever an emergency I just herd him into thecarrier and off we go.

another bunny mite not work as Zeke mite become v tortorial over his patch!

when the fire alarm goes off i would suggest, like Eve, using a smallpet carrier. when moving him from room to room could he walk there? ifso you could try to train him to walk on a lead!

my rabbit Daisy was very sweet and friendly when i first got her withher sister Dandy but once they were into the teenage stage Daisy justhas been very agressive to dandy and to me. she would grunt, growl, puther paws up (lol) and lunge at me to bite if i cornered her or came tonear if she coulnd run away! after a lot of work and plenty of foodtreats i hav managed to get her so some of the time i can walk straightup to her othet times i still hav to corner her but once i have caughther i can pick her up although she wont go up side down and take herout on her harness and lead. she does still get quite stressed on thelead but she is much better than what she was.

If Daisy can do it im sure Zeke can to! :)

Thanks for the responses. :)

I have a pet carrier for Zeke and he HATES IT. He bites at ituncontrollably, trying to get out. I'm afraid to let him walkfrom one room to another, because on the second floor of my house,there is a banister with rungs far enough apart for him to getthrough. :? Just thinking about it makes menervous. I think that I might try to get him a different petcarrier. The one I have for him now is fabric, and though itdoes have a hard bottom, maybe he prefers something a bit sturdier.

Erin

I have the same problem with the handling andnail clipping. I'm not a very confident bunny holder and I havetroubled when they start struggling. I don't know if this method is thebest, but for my baby when she was little and a bit skitterish I wouldget her sitting then cup my hands under her and sort of squeeze hergentley with myarms to keep her still until I brought her outof the cage (Hard to explain, but basically I just put myhands under her back feet and and hold her body steady with my arms andthe heels of my palms). This worked, until she got bigger. Now I pressher body gentley to the floor so she knows to stay stillthenI put my hand under her upper chest and holdher back butt part sort of like tongs untilI can bring her tomy body.

I want to learn how to pick her up by her scruff though, because thisseems to be the safest way to hold a rabbit. When my cousin does it therabbits can't struggle much and aren't as scared as they are withdifferent picking up methods. I jsut don't know where to grab and Idon't want to hurt her. Although, I've read that this hurts them, butwhen my cousin does it the rabbits don't seem to mind at all.

When I carry my rabbits if they are calm enough I just have one armunder them and the other one pressing them against my body. If theystart to struggle I gently put their head under my armpit and hold themvery close and put my head on them. I find if I have my head on themthen they don't struggle.

He seems fine by his self, is he neutered?

I agree a hard plastic carrier would be better,especially since you travel by car from home to college. If you, godforbid, were ever in an accident the soft carrier would not protectsweet Zeke.
Once you get a hard carrier they have the kind thatthe top comes off of and you can take the door off. Leave it in yourroom with the door off and treats of some kind in there. It is up toyou whether you get a slightly larger one(med size)fits my mini-lop 5lband a small litter box, or the smaller one. Then you can put thatfleece fabric in the bottom, for comfort, your choice. I always leavehay in ours and leave it on the floor. Delilah runs in and out of itwhile she is out playing.
Once he is not afraid of it leave it open with the hay in it, on thefloor so if there is an emergency you can grab it and run. ....hopethis helps.
Do you have a long drive to and from college, if not the small catcarrier may be ok and easier to run down the stairs when fire alarmgoes off.;)

Thank you again for the great suggestions. :)

Spring -- Yes, he is neutered.:) I've also found that putting my head on him helps a lot!

BACI -- When I take him in the car, which is rare, I put him in a largecardboard box with holes and put the seatbelt around ittwice! I also put the radio on softly and sing as he seems toenjoy it and it calms him down. Oh, the lengths we go to forour rabbits. ;) I really do need to get a real hardcarrier, though! The drive to/from college is only 25 - 30minutes.

Erin

Latest posts

Back