Help with Revolution

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can move your bunnies to another area and then treat your yard for fleas/ticks then you might be able to avoid the expense of dosing each one with Revolution every month. I only say this because Revolution gets expensive fast. Most of our rabbits are outside, though not in contact with the grass, and have never had a problem with fleas. If I find any it'll be on our dog after we've let her outside..

thanks, majorv!
As I said, 240 mg of Revolution (which is a lot!) costed me 21 USD which is totally affordable for me! it was a dose for pretty large dogs and I have to give it with syringe.
I don't think I want to treat the yard. They also spend time in garage. they have hiding boxes and a carpet to lie on. Fleas are not even confirmed!

my joy was premature. Even thinking I had enough medicine to treat all 3, today I ruined a whole thing.
First of all, the scale I bought at Walmart was acting very strange towards measuring my own weight, so I rushed buns to the nearest vet to weigh (my vet is really far away). Rushed, because this idea struck me 20 minutes before 6pm. Luckily, It was a success - they helped me out.
Then, I opened blister pack and found small plastic tube with very concentrated Revolution. I couldn't figure out how I get it open. It was hard plastic and I decided to cut the neck with the knife. It wasn't easy. Some medicine ended up on my hands making them all sticky, some on the knife. Then the opening was still too narrow to fill the syringe. I cut the neck lower. Then I thought it would be easier to pour medicine in the clean cup first , and I did it. Finally, I was able to fill the syringe but I saw that I had only little amount left, enough for 1 rabbit. I treated only one of my bunnies.
Now I understand why it's preferred to use pre-measured tubes to use them completely on one pet.
Then I decided to give my female with urine scald butt bath, I brought her inside to the bathroom and was busy with her for a long time...I saw couple of fleas on her and she wasn't treated today.
she was on my lap, I was wiping her with towels. I also have cockatiels who live inside the house. I am concerned about flea infestation in the house and on birds. Is it possible that we will have problems with fleas inside the house after I brought one rabbit in for some manipulations? Do I need to treat my clothes and towels she was using?

Right at the end of manipulations with her, I got a bad burning in one of my eyes. don't know what it was. Flushed with water.

Could someone please explain how I open the **** tube? If syringe had a needle, I would fill it much easier but it didn't have one.

You use the top of the cap flipped upside down (like an ointment tube) as a key to open it. That or you just push the lid on firmer to pop it with a pointy bit hidden in the lid (its been awhile since i opened revolution and I only have advantage on hand at this house.)
Then it does work best using a needle on the syringe to draw it up. Otherwise squeeze the contents into say the lid from the syringe case and measure up what you need per rabbit.
Each different tube of revolution is a different concentration so you have to put more then a micro drop on a kitten. And less then drowning a great dane.

Find the 5th post in this topic. It should be mine and i broke down some dosages and listed the mg per ml of different revolutions.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=64661
Since im not sure how it will look on the app if i post from here but lets try.
Colour - mg/tube -- strength - ml/tube
Mauve----- 15 mg -- 60 ------ 0.25ml
Purple---- 30 mg -- 120 ----- 0.25ml
Brown----- 60 mg -- 120 ----- 0.5ml
Red------- 120 mg - 120 ----- 1.0ml
Teal------ 240 mg - 120 ----- 2.0ml
Plum------ 360 mg - 120 ----- 3.0ml

thanks a lot, Watermelons!
Seems that I had 1 piece of teal one. HAD, cause it's gone! I can't believe this people didn't give me the correct syringe and told me nothing on how to use it. That's all about that particular vet! he's not bad but he's not detail oriented while details can matter a lot! Last time he told me to collect and bring urine sample, good thing he said to refrigerate it, but he never told urine from how long ago is acceptable. I read myself that it needs to be delivered within 8 hours, and his colleague later told me that he prefers it to be delivered within 1-2 hours. I delivered sample that was collected more than 8 hours ago and nobody told me that it wasn't OK.

The last question I have... what you think about using Revolution every 7 days, like the article I posted recommends?
Do I need to treat their carpets, etc?

hi thumperina--what awful vets! I'd make multiple complaints. I'll call my vet and find out. I would not be concerned with not complaining against their license--they will not loose their license over something like this. But they SHOULD dispense meds carefully and they should have given you careful directions. Not to do so is bad medical practice. I'll get back to you on this.

thumperina--revolution was tested before market in dogs and cats, not rabbits, so the company if you call them is not legally allowed to talk about rabbits. HOWEVER, it is common vet practice and bunny folk recommendation to use the dosage developed for immature systems, puppies and kittens.
What the vet should have done was sell you four pup&kit dose
tubes and have you use one tube for each bunn, then open the fourth and give it as needed by bunn weight to the others.
(I also have a 7 pounder.)
Other size tubes get into more complicated doseages, as alas you have found out, so most bunn vets just recommend the pup&kit tubes.

Bunnyrose that is incorrect information.
Rabbits need a different dose then puppys and kittens.
And it has been tested. There are numerous articles and published books with the correct rabbit (and other exotic animal) dosaged in them. Vets are able to talk to the company about rabbit dosage so are their staff. But because its a perscription they arent going to tell normal people to do something against what their vet has advised.
In terms of dealing with other coloured tubes of revolution, its nothing more then simple math you should be taught how to do in elementary school. So its really not that complicated.

I dont know about dosing weekly but it can be common practice to dose the rabbits every other week for 3-4 doses before returning to a once monthly dosage to maintain the animal. It really depends on how heavy of an infestation you are dealing with.

To dose the bunny: Get on the floor on all fours, kneel and cross your legs at the ankles behind you to prevent escape by bunny scooting backwards. Gently pin the bunn between your knees with one hand.You find a spot on the backside of the bunn halfway between the high point of the shoulders and the base of the skull. Muss the fur so the skin is exposed. You might even wet the tips of the fur so it will stay put, but dont wet the skin. Open the pup&kit tube then hold it against the skin and empty the tube. Its a gel. Rub it a little on the skin with the nozzle of the tube. Release one very annoyed rabbit. Keep that bunny away from other animals so that others dont groom and lick off the Revolution, until the solution has dried, some minutes.

Re: mg, mcg, ml etc. l is liters and is a measure of liquid volume. Mg is milligrams and is a measure of weight. Most medical syringes have a central line with metric system along one side and old fasioned teaspoons etc along the other side. You can also google "conversion FROM my-bunny's-weight TO grams or miligrams" and google again "FROM miligrams TO ounces". The computer will do the work for you.

Most medical syringes have a central line with metric system along one side and old fasioned teaspoons etc along the other side.
never seen one like this.I guess it differs from one country to another.
I was given slim syringe for tuberculin. 1 ml total

I have a degree in math, plus grown up in a country with metric system, so no problems with conversions here :) Thank you anyway!

Thumperina...
I'm sure you know what youre doing here, it will just be a matter of getting more revolution and a proper syringe. If you were in Canada I would just mail you one LOL but I think it might look funny mailing needles across the border...
Another reason the vet may not have given you a needle is the lack of common sense that seems to exist... Too many people would assume that being given a needle means they should inject the revolution into their animal.....

As for anyone else reading.
RABBIT DOSAGE IS 18mg/kg.
And the volume of liquid you dispense will depend on the concentration of the liquid you have.

Colour ---- mg/tube -- strength - ml/tube
Mauve------ 15 mg --- 60 ------- 0.25ml
Blue-------- 45mg----- 60-------- 0.75ml
Purple------ 30 mg --- 120 ------ 0.25ml
Brown------ 60 mg --- 120 ------ 0.5ml
Red-------- 120 mg -- 120 ------ 1.0ml
Teal-------- 240 mg -- 120 ------ 2.0ml
Plum------- 360 mg -- 120 ------ 3.0ml

So for example a 5lb bunny weighs approx. 2.23kg
2.23kg x 18mg = 40mg needed
a 5lb rabbit needs an approximate dosage of 40mg of revolution.
REVOLUTION IS QUITE SAFE so going a bit above this is not the end of the world, it has been tested at more then 10x its maximum strength on various species with no negative results.

To make life easier for the 5lb bunny you could buy revolution BLUE and use the entire tube of 45mg on the rabbit.
If you have multiple 5lb rabbits and you decide to purchase revolution teal.
Teal has 240mg in it. Divide that by your animals dose of 40mg.
240 / 40 = 6. You can get 6 total 40mg doses out of a tube of revolution teal. To find out how many ml's per 40mg dose. Take the ml in the tube divided by how many doses you could get from it. 2.0ml / 6 = 0.33ml
So a 5lb rabbit getting revolution teal needs a dosage of 0.33ml

there is a problem... I don't have any 5 lbs bunnies, I wish I did :)
My biggest one is almost 5 KG
(Just kidding)
By the way, I used to be getting a syringe in the regular pharmacy (just asked them to give me one). The last time I asked they rejected me saying I needed a prescription. Crazy!

there is a problem... I don't have any 5 lbs bunnies, I wish I did :)
My biggest one is almost 5 KG
(Just kidding)
By the way, I used to be getting a syringe in the regular pharmacy (just asked them to give me one). The last time I asked they rejected me saying I needed a prescription. Crazy!

Haha well that was all just an example for everyone else reading. ;) Too many browsers who don't post or go back and read, it helps to reinforce things to other readers.

Honestly most of the issues you're running into are all "liability" type reasons. Revolution is by law a prescription medication and the animal should be seen. Crack heads can try and score some needles from the pharmacy.... I've had people ask me for needles at work, its like hmmm, NO!

You can try posting to craigslist or some other online classified to see if somebody else will sell you a tube of theirs, say a single tube of Revolution Plum.

My mom gets the plum and divides it up between all the dogs, rabbits and cats in her house. She pours the tubes out into a glass top tube (test tube type thing made of glass that the clinic gets from the lab for blood/urine samples) and has a little chart with all the critters weights and how many ml they would get. I know shes sold a tube off to friends before.
And for some people they can make a few bucks by selling off a single tube for $20-$20 (depending what colour) so it may not hurt to put up a wanted add and ask?
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Revolution-prod10265.html?_DARGS=/product_base_radio.jsp
Selecting one of the weight ranges for plum or deal and click 6 pack, take that number and divide by 6 will give you a good idea of what you could offer people for a single tube of that colour.

hi watermelon- thanks for the feedback. When I mentioned
the doseages for pups&kits vs bunns, I was referring only to the tubes labeled for pups&kits. Those are the only tubes I've
dealt with and for a small number of rabbits I have found them easily manipulable for individual rabbits as long as you know an accurate rabbit weight.
I regret I wasnt clear on that.

One of those tubes is the correct dose for a five lb rabbit, and it comes out of the tube in drops. My 4, 7, and 10 lb rabbits are easy to guess at and adjust to. They are indoor bunnies, so I have no experience with timing the doses of outdoor bunnies. Indoors, once a month followup worked for me. I do not know about the duration of the medicine's effectiveness against insects' fresh onslaughts. That is something beyond my experience.

Yes, it's possible and preferable to be precise with meds, but bigger tubes have different concentrations and Ive preferred to use the pups&kits tubes as to me they are predictable and easy: I am not likely to cost myself money by mishandling the liquids. They are premeasured. Other people with other families are sharing how they handle the medicine itself, and that I think is practical.

Yes, vets may be able to talk to the company but that doesnt mean that nonvets can get the same courtesy. My vet and told me about the original research- testing-to-go-to-market. So thats where that info came from. I didnt say that
there hasnt been research since the legal release to market but I think an awful lot hasnt gotten through to those vets in Kansas
They certainly didnt give her good instructions on how to use what they gave her, and she's not alone in being at a loss in dealing the first time with Revolution's tubes.

I am sorry that I wasn't clear about what I was referring to. I will be more thoughtful in the future.

Latest posts

Back