Harnesses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipp- Yes, I will definitely be getting one of those stretchy leashes.

Dulmit - is there a link to where you got your harness like that? It seems perfect!

Butsy - the pen will be inside and the harness will be for when we go on the patio outside. I can't put the pen outdoors because we had to spray the lawn this year :(

I use the same one as funnybunnymummy.

I never use the harnesses anymore. The leash isn't long enough and I'm afraid they will hurt themselves.

I never use harnesses anymore either. I use to use H harnesses for Zeus (RIP) and Barnaby. I went through getting them use to the harness and all that inside the house.

Then I took Barnaby outside, and he completely freaked out. He was so nervous that he was screaming :shock: I rushed him inside and calmed him down, and luckily he was fine, but I've never used a harness again since then.

Then again, Zeus was always perfectly happy to use his harness. So it could just be a thing you take on a case by case bases. But for me, I feel much more comfortable using pens.

Strangely, Barnaby, who was so freaked in his harness outside, was perfectly content in an outdoor pen. I'll only ever use pens now if I ever take my bunnies outside (which I don't anymore anyways, since I moved to the city).

Rabbits can get hurt smashing in to the sides of pens (seen it more than once) and dogs can escape from harnesses to never be seen again. None of my spitz breeds would return and be off in to the sunset at faster than rabbit speed. We routinely do those things with those animals though. Nothing is 100% safe. You just have to try it and see what works best for your individual animal. I have seen very happy rabbits staked out in a harness attached to those metal dog stakes you twist in to the ground. Generally in a fenced in yard to avoid most predators. They were quite happy and could cover a lot more ground to eat, dig, and roll around in the dirt than a pen would allow. They also lived to old age with no injuries. The main thing I learned being around lots of animals and different setups for them is there are few absolute rules. What works for you and your animals may not work for someone else and the reverse.

funnybunnymummy wrote:
~*sAbRiNa*~ wrote:
Rue, is that a "rope" harness? And thanks for the advice on the longer leash, knowing her personality she will enjoy having more freedom :)
Nope. It's a nylon H style harness.

Here's a better picture of it:
10435_308254215505_779545505_9303080_2361485_n.jpg

I agree there may be some rabbits who will never be safe to put in a harness.

But one thing to remember with harnesses and rabbits is they need to be trained to use them. You can't just pop a harness and leash on them one day and expect them to be okay with that. It's kinda like breaking a horse to take a saddle and bridle. It takes time, patience, and your rabbit to trust you.

Horses have injured and even killed themselves while wearing a saddle and bridle. But no horse owner is going to say: "Don't put your horse in a saddle or bridle!" Instead they'll stress safe handling procedures and strategies to keep the horse calm.

The same, I think, applies to rabbits.

JMVHO

Rue

Love your explanation, Rue! So true!;)

So glad the harness is working out for all of you using them safely.:D

Latest posts

Back