Harnesses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*sAbRiNa*~

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a harness for Sabrina. What are your opinions as to the best type? H-style, Figure 8, rope?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Lol, I tried the harness thing with Jezz, I still have scars from her scratching me to get away. I learned my lesson! So good luck to you, and I used a H-style one I believe, found it was alright, when I could actually get it on her

I bought th H harness because I felt safer using it. I knew it would be harder for them to wiggle out of. I also didn't like the idea of something being around their neck. However, I bought them years ago and have never used them so I am not sure how well they work. Just liked that style the best.

Kate of the Canadian Rabbit Hopping Club is the expert on this, but I believe she recommends the H style harness as being the safest. Make sure it's tight enough, but not too tight. I believe you should be able to slip one finger between the harness and the rabbits skin.

Getting the right leash is also highly important. Most H style harnesses come with a short 4 foot leash. This is much too short. Rabbits need at least a 6 foot leash. I use a combination of a 4 foot leash and a retractable leash. This way Gus can run without getting jerked by an over short leash, while the leash is still short enough not to get tangled in his legs (bad things can happen when buns get their legs tangled. :().

Here's a recent picture of Gus taking a walk at our campsite a few weeks back:
35310_10150236084765506_779545505_13665867_3406035_n.jpg

Hope that helps!

Rue

I do not like them. I don't think it matter what kind. Having a bun restrained can cause serious injury to the bun, like a broken back. I put my first rabbit on a cheap one before I had this site. He got a foot caught and flopped in the driveway and screamed, it was awful.:(

We built a pen outside using the fencing for keeping rodents out of gardens. I"ll have to get a pic of it for you. That's the best way to take them outside to play if you don't live where there are predators to where you couldn't protect the bun.;)

I don't agree with harnesses either. They can be great if you and your rabbit enjoy taking walks, but as apposed to a run, they really aren't the safest thing to put your rabbit in. I've known people who have used harnesses, only to find that their rabbit chewed through it in a matter of seconds, or got injured by it-either by catching it on something or catching they limbs in it.

Thanks for all of your opinions. I am not going to be using the harness very often. About once a month I will be coming home from school (moving there in September for a year) and Sabrina is not allowed to free run in my parent's home. So I wanted to take her for a "walk" in the house under control and also she will be allowed in some parts of the backyard (but not all and there isn't enough room for a pen out there that has both sun, shade, and grass that has not been treated). The whole yard is fenced and she is pretty good about coming back to me if she does get off her harness.

Rue, is that a "rope" harness? And thanks for the advice on the longer leash, knowing her personality she will enjoy having more freedom :)

I personally don't feel safe using a harness. I'm always afraid of an escaping bunny or an injury. I like to put mine outside in pens.

It works better for 2 of my 3 buns since they are a bit nervous at first when I put them out.

I don't agree with harnesses either, unless your rabbit is very content and is not likely to bolt. Rabbits can move very quickly and if the lead is too short, the rabbit could be jerked backwards. I'd rather put the rabbit out in a pen.

Couldn't you build a pen in your parent's house?

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Kate of the Canadian Rabbit Hopping Club is the expert on this, but I believe she recommends the H style harness as being the safest. Make sure it's tight enough, but not too tight. I believe you should be able to slip one finger between the harness and the rabbits skin.
:yeahthat:

The figure 8 and rope harnesses can tighten around the neck if the rabbit pulls, so could choke them. Rope ones are very thin and could cut the rabbits.

Pretty much any harness that has a neck and chest strap that are separate parts with a piece going along the back will work. Cat ones tend to be a bit cheaper and a better fit than dog ones.
You can get the Hagen H harnesses at Walmart and Zellers in Canada. The kitten (small) or medium size would be best for most rabbits.

A pen would probably be better for indoor use. It would restrict where she can go but give her the freedom to move about as she wants within the set area. You also don't have to worry about her being in the pen like you would if she was on a harness.

~*sAbRiNa*~ wrote:
Rue, is that a "rope" harness? And thanks for the advice on the longer leash, knowing her personality she will enjoy having more freedom :)
Nope. It's a nylon H style harness.

Here's a better picture of it:
10435_308254215505_779545505_9303080_2361485_n.jpg

I agree there may be some rabbits who will never be safe to put in a harness.

But one thing to remember with harnesses and rabbits is they need to be trained to use them. You can't just pop a harness and leash on them one day and expect them to be okay with that. It's kinda like breaking a horse to take a saddle and bridle. It takes time, patience, and your rabbit to trust you.

Horses have injured and even killed themselves while wearing a saddle and bridle. But no horse owner is going to say: "Don't put your horse in a saddle or bridle!" Instead they'll stress safe handling procedures and strategies to keep the horse calm.

The same, I think, applies to rabbits.

JMVHO

Rue

I guess in the first picture with all of Gus' fur it just looked like a rope one.

I am going to take a few days to think about getting her a harness. I know that there are a lot of pros and cons. I am also pretty sure that I am going to get her a pen but want the harness for when I watch TV.

My plan to get her used to the harness was to let her wear it for a few days on its own. Then add the leash but just let her run around (in an area where it won't catch), then start holding the leash.

Has Butsy ever slipped out of the vest? My friend had a vest on her bunny and she got out of it all the time.

Inle_Rabbitry wrote:
I don't agree with harnesses either. They can be great if you and your rabbit enjoy taking walks, but as apposed to a run, they really aren't the safest thing to put your rabbit in. I've known people who have used harnesses, only to find that their rabbit chewed through it in a matter of seconds, or got injured by it-either by catching it on something or catching they limbs in it.

Thank U!

I just don't wanna hear it when the advice was gone against and something bad happens...:nasty:

Felix enjoys his harness, I have yet to take him outside in it.
He is so small I had to buy one made for ferrets. :D I think it's H-style? I'm not sure.

f5289cf1.jpg

Oh my goodness Felix looks cute in that harness!

I am still undecided about getting the harness or not. I think that the pen might end up being what I go with for 99% of the time and only use the harness for outdoors.

Latest posts

Back