English Lop, who has one?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buns2luv

Reaction score
We are looking at rescuing an almost 1 yr old English Lop doe. I am not all that familiar with this breed of bunny.
Wondering who has one? And what I need to know about them?
I know that with their long ears, they are more susceptible to ear infections. Thanks in advance for any info you can give us :)

the breeder i got rue from breeds english lops, as well. she had one rescue that got his ear caught on the cage in his previous home, and didn't receive proper care. poor guy's ear was literally *shredded* for the first inch. when i asked her if the breed had any problems getting around (i was imagining bunnies tripping over their own ears!), she said the only thing you had to watch out for was ear infections and mites.

There's a few of us here who are owned by e-lops. :) I'm owned by this one:

P1298550.jpg

I'd say one of the biggest things in owning an English lop as a house rabbit would be to rabbitproof your house times 100. An e-lop can...and WILL...get into everything. Their curiosity, especially one still in his or her youth, knows no bounds. When I first got Yofi, one of the forbidden places I once caught him was ON TOP of the stove. Thankfully it hadn't been on! These guys will follow their humans around like puppies, and their appetites can match their curiosity. Be careful of overfeeding, because given the chance, they'll do their best to convince you that they have been half-starved.

Ear infections can be common, though I have been fortunate in not to have run across this particular problem. I check Yofi's ears regularly, but he manages to keep them pretty clean on his own. Keep the nails trimmed short and smooth, or those ear folds can get scratched up. And because of their heavier bodies and body length, be extra-careful when picking them up...they can be prone to back injuries (and tail injuries too, or so I've read, as their tails are pretty long too). Sore hocks can be another thing to watch for, so housing on some sort of bedding that is forgiving to their weight is recommended.

And be careful, because e-lops are like chocolates...you can't stop at just one. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back