Does anyone know what to do if so I am desperate please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabetha s thompson

Reaction score
My rabbit Miller is a year old he is a regularcottontail. He got loose the other day and today my boyfriendhim. My pitbull had him pinned down he didn't bite him theyget along really good! My dog just had his paws on himpinning him down which was a relief because I was really worried abouthim because I had not seen him loose in the yard for a day!When my boyfriend got to him the dog moved and my rabbit tried to runbut he couldn't. Miller was dragging both of his hind legs,my boyfried rushed him to the vets office and they said to put him tosleep! My boyfriend said NO, because the rabbit was nothis. They did not do a x-ray but it is obvious that his legor hip is broken. I put him in the house so I could watch himclosely. I am going to give him a week but if there is noimprovement or if it looks like he is not gonna be ablewalkthen I am going to put him down. But until thenI want to try to get him better! I guess my question is does anyoneknowof anypain medication I can give him to helphim be more comfortable, or how I can doctor him up to help himheal? If so PLEASE let me know! ANY suggestionswill be appreciated! I can also be reached at[email protected].Please help me if you can this rabbit means the world tome!

Thank you-

Tabetha Thompson:)

I'm sorry but you really should put him tosleep. No pain medication is going to take away broken limbs. Youwouldn't want to limp around for a week so why let your rabbit. Thebest thing you can do for him is let him go. A broken leg or hip is notjust going to heal itself in 7 days. If the vet knows there's nothingthey can do, putting him to sleep is the best thing for him. I don'tevny your decision but I hope you don't let him suffer too long.

I have to agree with Shuu. The poor thing is ina lot of pain. Pain and stress like that can sometimes cause death initself, on top of the wounds.

I understand it's a difficult decision to make and a heart wrenchingone. But it really is for the best for your rabbit. He won't heal in aweek and will only suffer. Who knows what internal organs could beinjured?

More then anything, you need to get him to arabbit savvy vet. You also need to decide if you canfinancially take on the commitment of the fact the he will probablyneed surgery if he is to have any chance. If you aren't goingto do that, you really have to put him to sleep. I know howhard it is to make the decision, but you need to realize that lettinghim suffer for a week is completely inhumane. And withoutproper medical care, that is all he will do, suffer. I'msorry, I know this is an awful situation for you, but all the animalshave are us to do what is right by them and not by us. Thebest you can do is relieve his pain in any way.

Jen

:( I also had a bun with a broken hip, the vetsaid to put him down. I waited 3 more weeks and watched him drag hislittle body around with his front feet, it broke my heart. Charlie was10 years old, so I decided to take him to the vet abd ask what to do.He was too old to be put under for surgery, so I had him go to sleep.How do I feel now? I will probably never do that again, my heart isbroken. So before you do anything, think about it alot, if I were you Iwould opt for surgery. Don't give up!!!

Sounds like a broken back. If sonothing will heal him. You could make a cart and set his rearend in it so he can move around. I have seem pictures ofthat. Mostlikely when the dog pinned him down the preasurebroke his back.

Ed

Latest posts

Back