Digging, digging and more digging.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellochicago

Reaction score
My 3 year-old French Lop has recently taken to digging in her litter box. She prefers a specific corner too.

I know buns love to dig and forage, but she does it so early in the morning (since she is most active then and at dusk)! Oh, and throughout the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a way to keep her from doing this?

Her and "Black Jack" Davey (my older Polish) have toys, which they ignore, hay, veggies and paper to chew on (they ADORE magazine paper).

They also come out of their habitat at the very least 2 hours a day to run around our condo.

Any suggestions will be happily appreciated!

It could be that the toys they have aren't the kind that they like...I've always preferred simple toys, like a pop bottle with some mid-size gravel in it (big as I can get to fit through the neck). Admittedly, its a little noisy, but the rabbits really like them.

You might try giving her something that's not as noisy to dig in (a nest box maybe?) with plenty of straw. Is she spayed? She may be doing it out of a nesting instinct if not.

I got a bunch of 16x16 shipping boxes from Walmart for $0.88 each. I cut a hole just large enough for them to fit thru and then add a bunch of hay. It seems to be bunny heaven. I just turn it over through out the week so they have a better side to dig. It is also big enough for all 4 to work on at once, if they desire.
I do this with smaller boxes too, they seemed to prefer anything they can fit their whole body in.

Yep welcome to the wonderful world of digging. Personally I think its adorable watching those little front paws go. I think you need a digging box or if your bun is not a big paper eater then I have heard great things about old phone books. I guess they love to dig at them. We would not know cause Fraggles is a paper eater and can not have phone books :(

Hi Christina, i guess I'm lucky mine tend to be pretty quiet. Of course I'm up every day at 5:30 am, geez I probably wake the bunnies up.

I'd love to see pictures of your French Lop, actually I'd love to see pictures of all your babies. I LOVE :big kiss:French Lops. One day I will have one. Please pictures.:)

Susan:happybunny::bunnydance:

Nikki, our Avatar is a persistent digger too and nothing keeps her from her task. She loves to dig in her pan and will spend hours trying to tunnel thru the floor tiles. Good luck!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

It seems that I'll need to invest in some new toys and cage accessories asap.

I'll be buying this tomorrow: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3074862#prodTab1

I'm thinking the main issue is that Ava Lulu is not spayed. I'm aware that its very important that a female rabbit be spayed and put it off for so long because Chicago has such steep pricing! (The lowest quote I got was around $200, the highest being close to $500 with meds!)

But my new home in St. Petersburg, FL. has more options and better pricing, so Miss Ava Lu is going in ASAP!

Everyone can see photos of Miss Ava Lu and Mister "Black Jack" Davey at http://www.swiftish.tumblr.com/tagged/pets

You can all expect to see more photos of Davey since I have access to a better camera!

Latest posts

Back