Bunny's favorite place to play...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetiora

Reaction score
What you are about to see may be shocking, ghastly and down right messy!

We all know rabbits love to play where they're not allowed, thusbunny-proofing becomes a valuable lesson in the modernized rabbitstomping grounds. Ever since I became a bunny mommy there has only beenone spot of trouble that has me constantly yelping "No! Out! Badbunny!" and the like. That place is....the computer desk that justwouldn't diiieeee(dun dun duuuun)!

Okay, well maybe it's not about killing the computer desk so much askeeping Fergs from getting behind it. This has been my BANE ladies andgentlemen of the bunny forum! I mean a real pain. I have a budgetedincome so I can't afford costly means to protect my rabbit from danger.My make-shift method for now has been piling things up around the deskin hopes that I'll spot Ferguson before he has had a chance to hop overand behind my computer desk. And with Fergy getting more *cough*"mature" it's getting to be a harder battle because he KNOWS I don'tlike it when he's back there.

Here are some pictures of the problem area(please bear with themessines as I am still a college student and an art major atthat!:shock:):

This is where my chair goes generally, which Fergs has learned tograciously hop under, over and around whether or not I am in it...
desk1.jpg

This is the part the right hand side (which is near my closet). Thebags you see in the corner are bunny supplies and another bag ofcomputer wires that aren't being used. I've also learned how to use afull length mirror to block of a good section of the back! :)
desk2.jpg

A better shot of the mirror blocking...and look! A valentine dog tohelp block along with the mirror! Too bad Ferg's not intimidated in theslightest and just hops on over. :(
desk3.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of the computer desk, Ferg's favorite hangin'out spot!...hey I wondered where those clothes line pins went to!
desk4.jpg

And THIS is my main worry. Everything else I hav managed to roughlycoat over with aquarium tubing but what do you say to this? He loves tocome over and sniff on it too (giving me a heart attack most times!)!
desk5.jpg

Gaah! Any tips from you master bunny-proofers out there? I don't havemuch time now but when the semester is over in a couple of weeks I amsoooo going to try and bunny-proof the crap out of this one area! Anytips or suggestions would be GREATLY welcomed! :) Thanks!!

I'm far from a bunny expert, but I am a computer geek... ;-)

I'd do one of a few things, take that power strip and mount it on thewall, try and get it up on top of the computer case...or get a smallshelf and put it up there to get it off the floor. As long asyou maintain good cooling the pc will be fine.

There are also things you can buy, we have em at work...thatare plastic and long...and one side is flat, the other is rounded...butthe flat side lays on the floor and has a slit all the way down it torun cords/cables thru...the it just lays on the floor......that way ifhe was chewing he'd just get ahold of that and not hurthimself. I'm guessing you could find this at an office supplystore fairly reasonable.

Hope that helped?

well..our computer room is much like that;) what we've done is partioned it off. half theroom is bun safe, we put toys out for them etc.. and the other half hasour computers with all the nasty wires and badforbuns stuff.at the moment we've got large aquarium toppers crossing the room lol,but there much be baby gates or something that would work.. our bunshop in and out at will and come visit us often if we're online:) it's also the treat room lol..

I have some similar troubles. Luckily I have asolid wood desk that blocks alot naturally. But there is a problem areawith the power strip. I have it blocked with a big cardboard box and afrisbee. :) Oh, college life.

Another thing you might try that's pretty cheap is to get a box of NICcubes and build little barriers. Sort of caging off the areas insteadof caging the bunny. You can get them at Target for like $15 a box.

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
I'm far from a bunny expert, but I am a computer geek... ;-)

I'd do one of a few things, take that power strip and mount it on thewall, try and get it up on top of the computer case...or get a smallshelf and put it up there to get it off the floor. As long as youmaintain good cooling the pc will be fine.

There are also things you can buy, we have em at work...that areplastic and long...and one side is flat, the other is rounded...but theflat side lays on the floor and has a slit all the way down it to runcords/cables thru...the it just lays on the floor......that way if hewas chewing he'd just get ahold of that and not hurt himself. I'mguessing you could find this at an office supply store fairlyreasonable.

Hope that helped?

Yay! Computer geeks unite! (I've currently been thinking of gettinganother case for my baby...) I'd actually thougth of mounting it--infact I would love to mount the power strip (I once had a job where oneof my assignments was to make the computer lab "less messy" and so Idid that for like 30 computers! :shock: talk about annoying andrepettitive!) but I live in an apartment that I'd rather not pay thedamage fee for it. Plus I'll be moving at the end of July/begining ofAugust to a new place so if I mount it I think I might wait till then:) Wonderful suggestion though! ;)

Hmm, I'm not quite sure about the wire-holdy thing you're talkingabout. I've never really seen them actually o_O So far I've been usingthe little plastic ties that group stuff together to keep wires off thefloor and bunched above bun's head. The plasticy-wire-thing (love myterminology yet? :p) sounds like it'd be really wonderful though, iffor nothing else then for organizing my messy mess! :)

Spiced77 wrote:
well..our computer room is much like that ;) what we've done ispartioned it off. half the room is bun safe, we put toys out for themetc.. and the other half has our computers with all the nasty wires andbadforbuns stuff. at the moment we've got large aquarium topperscrossing the room lol, but there much be baby gates or something thatwould work.. our buns hop in and out at will and come visit us often ifwe're online :) it's also the treat room lol..

That's too neat^_^ Sadly my desk is currently adjacent to my artdesk(to the left) and my closet (to the right) so I can't make aseperate room. Bun's cage is actually very close to my computer desk(so I can have conversations with him whilest I do stuff with thecomputer) and there's not much else of a place for him/his cageelsewhere in my room.

...of course if I cleaned it up I'm suuure that would help a bunch!Note to all you shop-addicts out there: Don't do it!!!! I blame thathorrid woman gene on me that I have too many clothes lying around myroom! :? Currently I'm sorting through them to see what I can give awaybut good grief does it ever take time!!!

Hopefully when I move from here I'll be able to have a bunny room and acomputer room seperate from one another :) (I love the idea of a treatroom! Hee hee, but Fergy would be hanging out there ALL the time :p)

EEEM wrote:
I have some similar troubles. Luckily I have a solid wood deskthat blocks alot naturally. But there is a problem area with the powerstrip. I have it blocked with a big cardboard box and a frisbee. :) Oh,college life.

Another thing you might try that's pretty cheap is to get a box of NICcubes and build little barriers. Sort of caging off the areas insteadof caging the bunny. You can get them at Target for like $15 abox.

Actually I ran out a few minutes ago to buy some NIC cubes to makeFergy a bunny palace. Considering he's a dwarf I will probably have abunch left over (I bough two boxes) so hmmm, must develop that idea inthe ol' think tank! Thanks! :)

cirrustwi wrote:
You can order big baby/dog gates from Drs Foster and Smith. Youcan find them in the dog section. They are big enough to go across alarge room and you can get extenders if necessary.

This is a link to find them:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?N=2001&Np=1&Ntt=gates&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&Nty=1

Jen

Eep!$74.99 is a bit out of my price range for the moment. Once I'm in apermanent location it will definately be worth thinking about. Thanksso much for the link! This shall definately go in my bookmarks forfuture refference! :)

Well, just to give an update for anyone who mightbe wondering about doing stuff to bunny-proof..the Organize-It blockswork wonders! Of course, it also helps that I have a long enougy mouseextension and keyboard extrnsion to pull both out on my lap rather thansit under the desk, soooo ;) But yes, I'll probably upload pictureswhenever I get some time (end of semester crunch time coming up) butfor now I just wanted everyone to know how much I sppreciatedsuggestions and that Fergy can be happy and run amuck thanks to all ofyou :p (He is a very happy-binkying bunny) Thanks! :)

I went to the dollar store and bought their extralarge plastice cutting boards and i put the side by side between thedesk and the wall, all of the wires are hidden behind the boards andimpossible for the bunnies to get at. After 2 attempts on mycomputers life, I finally found a way to get it blocked off and it onlycost me 2 dollars!

I went to the dollar store and bought their extralarge plastice cutting boards and i put the side by side between thedesk and the wall, all of the wires are hidden behind the boards andimpossible for the bunnies to get at. After 2 attempts on mycomputers life, I finally found a way to get it blocked off and it onlycost me 2 dollars!

Latest posts

Back