bunny laying on side? :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyusa

Reaction score
My 6 year old dwarf, Cloey has been lying on herback/side alot and sticking her legs up in the air, and staying reallystill...it looks like shes dead :(but when I go over to hershe jumps up. I don't know if this has anything to do with her entireback 'twitching' sometimes, but she's just started doing all this. Hasanyone else's bunny done this?? :(

Welcomethe the forum, BunnyUSA,

It could just be that she's getting comfortable or since she's gettingon in years, she might be feeling some pains of arthritis and is tryingto get some relief. Has she always done this or did it juststart?

-Carolyn

Does she do it often or once in a while?

Is she heavy?

Does she get enough of exercise?

Arthritis can be as a result of her aging years and in some cases, lackof exercise can upset it. It's common in females and mediumto large breeds. Exercise can help, sometimes it can betreated with medication. It's not lifethreatening, and can beslow to progress.

That is, if it is arthritis.

-Carolyn

My Mums rabbit Hazel is 7 and spends a lot of timelay on her side with her legs out (only since she has beenolder)- It was worrying to see as you said, she only moveswhen called. I would take cloey to the vets to be on the safe side - Asif like Carolyn said it might be arthritis then she might needsomething to make her more comfortable! Is she outside or indoors? Asit has been warm - She might be laying down like that because she waswarm.

But I wouldn't like to take a gues on a bunnies health as I'm not a vet- I would gether checked out by a vet - even just for yourpiece of mind if it turns out its just something like age!

Oh and welcome to the board!

Vickie

Good advice, Vickie!

BunnyUsa,

You might try gently massaging the muscled areas of the back, andapplying a Small Amount of heat to the area. A vet maygive you a pain relief/anti inflammatory medication, again, assumingit's arthritis.

-Carolyn

All of my guys throw themselves over on theirsides and at first i was scared they had died or seizured. Some just dothat but my elderbuns lay like that a lot and I went to the vet and wastold it was athritis and also got a lecture about their weight as theyget older

Definitely the added weight of the rabbit wouldreduce the workload for the rabbit. If it's arthritis, Cloeymay need help in keeping her hind quarters clean, watch for ear wax asit gets harder to clean herself.

-Carolyn

thank you for all the replies! :)

She has some weight to her, but its pretty normal, shes notobese..she's now an indoor rabbit so she's always out of her cage now,running around my room. She's been flipping over on her side maybe onceor twice every 2 days (that I know of) she did it this morning. Also, Icalled a vet and he said she's probably just playing. but it stillworries me.

bunty wrote:
All ofmy guys throw themselves over on their sides and at first i was scaredthey had died or seizured. Some just do that but my elderbuns lay likethat a lot and I went to the vet and was told it was athritis and alsogot a lecture about their weight as they get older
OMG when mybunny first did that i think i lost all the color in my face i thoughthe was having a heart attack! And he isnt ummmmm calm about throwinghimself to his side! He can be sitting there all then BAM he drops tohis side the lil fellow scared the you know what outta mehahahahaha!

Not sure if this is what's happening here, but it sounds a whole lot like a "bunny flop":

Very relaxed rabbits will roll onto their sides oreven on their backs. A favorite way to do this is to first twist one'shead sideways, then fling the rest of the body into line so that thefeet fly out to the side. This is called a "flop" and indicates a veryhappy bunny. A happy rabbit may lie on its side (or back), and stretchor wiggle or sometimes just hold still there. It may even roll its eyesa bit so that the white shows. When you first see this you willprobably be afraid your rabbit is dead, because it looks pretty odd. Ifyou rush over to give it CPR, it will quickly right itself and lookstrangely at you for disturbing a nice stretch.

Reference:
http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

Oreo does that alot, when I have her out to play& when she's in her cage, but as bunnymommy quoted, she's justbeing a happy bunny relaxing :D

~pam

batman does it all thetime...first the flop, then the stretch. when hes ready to resumewreaking havoc, he stretches & yawns & does his littlescreech & hes off like a bullet! :p

lol Oreo usually does it & wedges herselfbetween the side of the cage & either her food bowl or haybowl.. sometimes I think she's going to knock herself out by floppingover so hard.. and against her dish too!

awww batman screeches when he yawns! How cute!!

~pam

Megan often rolls right onto her back and sticksher cute little paws into the air. Then she lays on her side. And she'sonly 7 months old so I'm pretty sure my lil girl doesn't havearthritis...she's just a happy hyper little bun! :)

Yay! She's just loving life byflopping! Tucker's not a flopper. Enjoyit. It's the cutest sight!

-Carolyn

I would say its normal Buster throws him self down on his side I was surprised :shock:the first few times he did it. :)

Latest posts

Back