bunny as a pet for a toddler?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would advice guinea pig or hampster as a starter pet, since they don't live that long and much more independant than rabbits.
If you do decide to get a rabbit, try getting a grown rabbit with agood temper. If you go to the shelter, they have lots of 1,2,3 year oldneutered rabbits. You can play with the rabbit before taking it home,and find out if you match.

AnnaS wrote:
I would advice guinea pig or hampster as a starter pet, sincethey don't live that long and much more independant thanrabbits.

True, but...

Guinea pigs are very social and need companions, usually anotherpiggie. They can also live up to 7 years :) Hamsters are definatelyindependant, but also very fragile and not too hands-on.

Hi and Welcome!

I have no problems with having three rabbits of various size and twolittle boys. My 2 year old has to be supervised when around the rabbitsbecause he likes to pick the bunnies up. Diva my one bun is a FlemishGiant and he is not able to pick her up, if he is bothering her shejusts leaves and goes into another room. She is very laid back.

Fergi and Sam my mini-lops need to be watched more closely wheninteracting with my little guy, but again, if they are unhappy with himthey leave the room and if they don't want to be caught a 2 year old isnot going to be able to catch them.

As long as you supervise all interaction with the two you should haveno problems. I would assume also that since you work the timethat the child would be around the rabbit would be pretty limited andshould be easily supervised.

We love our bunnies and wouldn't want to live without them! Good luck with your decision!

47b5df37b3127cce9e2365b1242e00000016108QZMXDho5bG

Fergi's mom

I have an idea for a first time pet. I think anindoor butterfly garden would be great. If you can teach her to careand respect an insect, she'll have respect for anything.

As a second pet I would recommend a tame female cockatiel. I say femalebecause they're generally quieter so they're more likely to be quietwhen you're at work. Birds are a lot of work, but the whole family willenjoy it. Find one from a good breeder or a rehomed bird. We had a birdfor years before my daughter was born, but he bit from time to time sothe kids weren't allowed to handle him. We decided we wanted a bird myson could handle, so we got a cockatiel. My daughter imediately tookover, she handles the bird like a pro. She knows without a doubt thatshe has to be gentle, and that's taught her a lot about interactingwith our other pets. The other nice thing is that they're fairly longlived.

If you'd like more information about diet and care, or help finding supplies or a breeder, contact me privately.

[align=center] [/align]
[align=center]
Megan[/align]

AnnaS wrote:
Iwould advice guinea pig or hampster as a starter pet, since they don'tlive that long and much more independant than rabbits.
If you do decide to get a rabbit, try getting a grown rabbit with agood temper. If you go to the shelter, they have lots of 1,2,3 year oldneutered rabbits. You can play with the rabbit before taking it home,and find out if you match.

actually adopting would be a great idea :)that way the homecan tell u whether or not the rabbit is child friendly this is a v.goodidea x

again, thank you all for sharing all that info with me.

I will gather all this info and talk it over with my husband. In the end - we all have to agree to this ;)

Personally I would recommend getting an olderkitten (~5-6 mos). My 2 y/o niece loves her catdearly. They just went to the SPCA and picked out a reallylaid back kitten and she totes him around like a sack ofpotatoes! I've found that buns and toddlers don'tmix. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Jen wrote:
Personally I would recommend getting an older kitten (~5-6mos). My 2 y/o niece loves her cat dearly. Theyjust went to the SPCA and picked out a really laid back kitten and shetotes him around like a sack of potatoes! I've found thatbuns and toddlers don't mix. Good luck with whatever youdecide! :)
I agree with Jen. My family bought our first cat when I wasfour. We then bought 5 more throughout my life after that,which I think, was a mistake at time..haha. But yes, I wouldhighly recommend going to a shelter and finding a kitten/cat that isreally sweet and good with children. But I'd check to see ifyour child has allergies first. You can alsoadopt acat that is already litter trained, making it much easier on you.

-Vanessa

Im late as usual,Very good advice alreadygiven,my daughter has always had rabbits as well because we raisethem.I think they are a great first pet,If you decide to get a rabbit,breeds i reccomend are Dutch,mini rex,Holland lop,minilop,New zealand,big but sweet.I raise Netherland Dwarfs but would not rccomend themfor anyone under the age of 8.bluebird

I'm thinking I'm a little late with this post, but I'll give it anyway.

As a pet store manager, I have seen the problems with a "first pet" ofall kinds. Any small animal: hamster, gerbil, rat, guineapig, rabbit; can have their difficulties. Hamsters andGerbils are squirmy and have a tendency to bite whenfrightened. Guinea pigs are squealers and don't necessarilywant to be held (sorryto all the fans on this site, I'm justnot one). Rabbits will kick and possibly bite. Allof these are fragile and need a lot of supervision withchildren. I would actually recommend a rat if you are goingfor something small. As long as they are handled, and ofteneven if they are not, they make gentle pets. They are biggerthen a hamster or gerbil and therefore easier to handle. Theyare quieter then guinea pigs. They are just as social as arabbit, but they need less care and time. If you can get pastthe stereotype and the tail, most people absolutely lovethem. If you are willing to go with something a littlebigger, I would agree with the people who have recommended akitten. They are pretty self sufficient, litter training isbasically instinctual and taught by the mother, most are reallyfriendly and make wonderful pets for children. You just haveto watch the claws, but I feel that a rabbit can do a lot more damagewith their kicks then a cat can with scratching.

Good Luck! I think that children should be raised withanimals and it sounds like yours will have a great respect ofthem. That is what is most important.

Jen

I can't get over how I have stumbled upon so many great people in just one place!!!

Thank you sooooooo much for all the advices! I am so glad Ihave decided to post my question here - you have certainly helped methink about this more and deeper...

I am trying not to make any harsh decisions and am thinking of goinginto a humane society with my daughter - just to see what animals sheresponds to the best...they have bunny rabbits there...as well as catsand dogs....this is going to take a while - but I am already excitedfor us about it all....

Wishing you all the best with your bunnies and other pets...Lots of health and mutual love!

bunnybaby wrote:
I am trying not to make any harsh decisions and am thinking of goinginto a humane society with my daughter - just to see what animals sheresponds to the best...they have bunny rabbits there...as well as catsand dogs....this is going to take a while - but I am already excitedfor us about it all....

That's a really great idea. I definitely believe that the best pet owners are informed ones.

Jen

cirrustwi wrote:
I'm thinking I'm a little late with this post, but I'll giveit anyway.

As a pet store manager, I have seen the problems with a "first pet" ofall kinds. Any small animal: hamster, gerbil, rat, guineapig, rabbit; can have their difficulties. Hamsters andGerbils are squirmy and have a tendency to bite whenfrightened. Guinea pigs are squealers and don't necessarilywant to be held (sorryto all the fans on this site, I'm justnot one). Rabbits will kick and possibly bite. Allof these are fragile and need a lot of supervision withchildren. I would actually recommend a rat if you are goingfor something small. As long as they are handled, and ofteneven if they are not, they make gentle pets. They are biggerthen a hamster or gerbil and therefore easier to handle. Theyare quieter then guinea pigs. They are just as social as arabbit, but they need less care and time. If you can get pastthe stereotype and the tail, most people absolutely lovethem. If you are willing to go with something a littlebigger, I would agree with the people who have recommended akitten. They are pretty self sufficient, litter training isbasically instinctual and taught by the mother, most are reallyfriendly and make wonderful pets for children. You just haveto watch the claws, but I feel that a rabbit can do a lot more damagewith their kicks then a cat can with scratching.

Good Luck! I think that children should be raised withanimals and it sounds like yours will have a great respect ofthem. That is what is most important.

Jen
LOL, if I wanted to make all of my relatives to stop coming over, Iwould get a rat. All of the women in our family are terrified of ratsand mouses. My grandma jumped on a table once when she saw a mouse.

LOL, personally I find it funny how such big humans can be afraid ofsuch a small mouse, since the mouse usually can't harm them.

Latest posts

Back