bunny as a pet for a toddler?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybaby

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have stumbled upon this site when looking for information aboutbunnies as pets, since I am trying to do my homework before actuallybuying one! I have a toddler (18 1/2 months old girl) andwould like her to have her first pet...I would love for her to havethis experience and gain respect for other living creatures likeanimals...

Bunnies to me seem like a perfect medium between fish/birds andcats/dogs.....first being too un-interactive for a toddler and secondbeing too much for us to take...

We're both also working parents - not coming home till 5:00p.m....would this be a problem for a bunny to be in a cage during theday? (we would let him out when we come home every night..)...

What should I look for??? What should I be aware of...I basically needall the information I can get, since I have no experience with rabbitswhatsoever!

Thank you in advance for all of your replies!

i act. got my first pet ever since i was born!and that was a dog, i had her since i was born, and she was put tosleep 8 years ago..

i think a rabbit would be a great first time pet! i got my first rabbitin '95, and then a year later i got my 2nd one in '96 and she died lastyear..

im pretty sure that if you let it out every night when you got home youwouldnt have a problem but thats just me..otherpeopleon this site will have more to say about that!

Goodluck!

First off, check out theCheatSheet for Rabbit Care post ;) If you still have any specificquestions, feel free to ask away! :)

Second, while rabbits are often wonderful family companions, they'renot a "starter pet" (they live 10-15 years, or more) and are not alwaysthe best pets for small children. Not saying it doesn't work, it justtakes more consideration. They are fragile, and can be seriouslyinjured if mishandled. They are also a prey animal, and the suddenmovements and loud noises of children will often frighten them.

While some don't mind, most rabbits don't like to be held: think birdssnatching them from the ground then soaring 80 ft into the air. They doenjoy nose rubs and even massages, and will sit there and soak up thelove as long as you continue. But don't count on a rabbit being a lappet ;)

Rabbits are never boring :p. Believe me, once you've seen a rabbitplay, it's like having an in-home nature program. Rabbits have veryamusing personalities, and are much smarter than most people think.Many also loooove to play.

I think you can definately make it work, but it takes some specialconsiderations. Most of use here would tell you rabbits are just asmuch commitment as a kitten or puppy. For more information, you canalso check out the House Rabbit Society'swebsite.

Thank you all for your replies...

I will check the cheetsheet you have recommended and will consider this further.

[line]
I agree with M.E. Children want a pet they can manipulate inevery which way. Rabbits need some alone time and gentleplaying, and I find, can be hard to understand. To us,rabbits are so cuddly looking, but the majority of rabbits don't liketo be restrained in your arms. I would suggest a pet thatcouldn't do as much damage with their claws, such as a guinea pig or ahamster. Rabbits are a huge commitment and are really no lesswork than a cat or a dog. If you feel that you can make itwork, good for you, and I wish you the best of luck...but I'm justgiving you a truthful answer.

Best wishes,

Vanessa

You sound like a very responsible and loving petowner, I don't think you'll have any problems with your little girllearning respect for animals. You're modelling it wonderfully :)

Well, thank you m.e. for thatcompliment! :D I am certainly trying mybest...wouldn't want anyone to suffer because of our rashdecisions!...not us and certainly not the animal we would get ;)

I agree with a point made above -- the best "pet"for a toddler is a stuffed one. If you would like the rabbitfor yourself -- that's a different story :)

My kids have had animals from very young ages -- but we've always hadanimals and they were raised around them. My 5 year old hashad bunnies since he was about 6months old -- he currentlyhas nearly 20 of them, a hamster and a fish. But in thiscase, he's been "predestined" to be a rabbit judge like mom LOL

Pam

You should also keep in mind that rabbits havesharp claws and teeth. I've been scratched and bled on morethan one occasion when my bunny didn't even mean to hurt me.They stress sometimes when they are held or put into their cage andwill scratch or bite.

I agree with everything said here. We have abunny and I was thinking how our children will interact with the bunnywhen they are old enough.
Our bunny is very gentle, now he never bites, although he did when wefirst got him and he was scared. He does not like to be picked up andto play with him I usually have to either pet him gently ot throw himhis toys(toilet paper rolls, pine cones) and he throws him back to me.Bunnies do require patience which you have to teach your kids when theyplay with a bunny.

I can't not mention that there are bunnies, like Sebastian on theforum, that are great with kids, love to held and an amazing animal forchildren. Although I have to add, Sebastian is the only one I know tobe like that. Most bunnies are shy.

And as the last thing, you have to realize that any pet you get will beyour pet first, you will need to spend time with it, pet it and takecare of it.

bunnybaby wrote:
Hello all.

I have stumbled upon this site when looking for information aboutbunnies as pets, since I am trying to do my homework before actuallybuying one! I have a toddler (18 1/2 months old girl) andwould like her to have her first pet...I would love for her to havethis experience and gain respect for other living creatures likeanimals...

Bunnies to me seem like a perfect medium between fish/birds andcats/dogs.....first being too un-interactive for a toddler and secondbeing too much for us to take...

We're both also working parents - not coming home till 5:00p.m....would this be a problem for a bunny to be in a cage during theday? (we would let him out when we come home every night..)...

What should I look for??? What should I be aware of...I basically needall the information I can get, since I have no experience with rabbitswhatsoever!

Thank you in advance for all of your replies!

I wouldnt advice it. Kids like picking pets up and somerabbits do not like this. I have two rabbits and am forevergetting scratched and bitten.

Would advise a guinea pig. These guys are very tolerable andthen if you want to get a rabbit when your girl is a bit older go forit.

Bunnies are very fragile and can be easily injured if they struggle to get free or if dropped.

Even the "velcro" bunnies can surprise you. Our Binkie is a cute littlecuddly lop that loves to be held and petted. However the other day Iwas taking her out of her cage and she twisted around in my hands. It'sso hard to resist trying to hold on, but they can hurt themselves ifthey struggletoo hard. Luckily we have carpet and padding inthe bunnie room, so I kind of lowered and released her a couple of feetoff the floor. She was okay, but it sure scared both of us.

You guys are really amazing! Thank youagain all for all of your replies! I am thinking no bunniesfor us FOR NOW! :)

I would just like to find a perfect match between our family and an animal we would get.

I usually recommend "big" bunnies as first-timepets for kids, but it involves commitment on the parents' part (youhave to do all the lifting, cleanup, etc.). If you get a large,easy-going rabbit the size of a small dog, small kids can't pickit up. They have to interact with it on the floor, like a dog. Which isgreat, because they aren't as likely to get scratched or bitten, andI've seen big rabbits be very gentle with children. It's like they havea sixth sense.

Netherland dwarfs are tiny and cute, but sometimes you can get a snippyone (have one, actually, so I know firsthand!:p) I've heard some on theforum have some great Nethies but you really have to be careful whichbreeder you get it from, because a responsible breeder won't breed abad-tempered line.

Holland Lops, also small, are adorable and sweet, but dumb as rocks and quite fragile and timid.

Palominos and Flemish Giants are large breeds that are outgoing,friendly, and laid-back. The unaltered females can get territorial(think attack rabbit) and the unaltered males are kindof...er...disgusting at times.:pBut an altered malewould probably be ideal for a small child. Playful, gentle, and justplain silly, their size commands respect but their personality makesyou fall in love with them.Palominos weigh between 8 and 11lbs. when full-grown.

Here's my young (unaltered) male Palomino, 8 mo. old. In this picture,he's playing a game called "chase Rose", where he runs and leaps on me.

7346bb84.jpg

6774aa4e.jpg

He's grown since this picture, but is still this easy-going:

bubupsidedown.jpg

If you can't tell, Palominos are my favorite breed, and I love the boys in particular. :D

Good luck with your bunny search!

Rose

bunnybaby wrote:
You guys are really amazing! Thank you again allfor all of your replies! I am thinking no bunnies for us FORNOW! :)

I would just like to find a perfect match between our family and an animal we would get.

Hey, don't give up on the idea!;)You might fall in love yourself!!:D

Thank you rabbitgirl for your lovely pictures and advice!...He is sooooooooo cute!

I am already in love..but soooooooooo scared to commit!..We'll see...

Try visiting a small-scale breeder who raises thebreed you are considering. Play with their animals and see how theyreact and interact!

:D

Rose

Latest posts

Back