Bun still in pet store

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now leaving to get her, my mum said Icould keep her at hers until I find a home for her (I'm keeping her) soI said what if I cant find her a home, she said you will have to keepher then, well if I have too she will have to be a outside bunny in ahuge cage!! So excited, these Bunny's make me poor!I have told everyone she is freeso Toldhubby too he said do what you want!! But I know he wouldntwant her here, when we move i'm going to build a nic cage for my boysso hopefully she can live insidethen.

YEAH!!!! Luckily very few pet stores around heresell bunnies so I shouldn't find myself in this predicament!!!Congrats...I'm glad your getting her!

Congratulations on your new bun. Hubbies will always give in, in the end. Its our female charm :D

"when we move i'm going to build a nic cage"

Have a look in B&Q they sell all sorts of things that will helpyou build it. Also Argos sell the dog cages that may be suitable foryou.Good luck.

Vickie

Oh, no! I'm so sorry. I know you had your heart set on her.

Did they tell you the name of the breeder? Maybe you could contact them about her?

Laura

I did ask but they wouldn't give the breedersname to me. Been away for the week-ed, so I'm sorry its takentime to post. Thanks for everyones support, this does have ahappy ending.

Hubby saw how upset I was and gave me a number of a rabbit and guineapig rescue near where my mum lives, as we were staying at my mums,house sitting, (me, hubby, 2dogs and 2buns) I thought I would pop in,they had a very small garage with hutches in, now I don't know muchabout rescuing animals or the conditions I should of expected theanimals to be in ( get to that later), when the owner wasn't shoutingat her two year old daughter she spoke to me about the buns.I said I was looking for a large breed of bun, she said shehad a Castor Rex who had been with them for six months, she came from abreeder who no longer wanted her because she didn't produce manybabies???? She told me a little about the other buns thatcame with her and said how she had to cut there teeth etc, well the Rexcame to her with a bad skin condition like eczema, well I fell inlove ,she was feedsupa rabbit excel ( which I feed Zebedee andShawn) alfalfa and carrots (which she said have tobe choppedup so a rabbit can get the juices from them??)Shealso had very bad diarrhea, I say had because I picked her up onFriday, she had it Fri night Saturday day and most of Sunday, to day itseems to of stopped, but saying that she hasn't produced any droppingsand isn't eating much.All the animals hutches wereclean, but she did no I was coming, so this doesn't mean much, her eyesand nose are no longer runningIthink that this wasbecause she was kept on sawdust supplied by a local saw mils, the ladysaid she was a very quite bunny and didn't run around!! Yeah right,when I got herhome I put her down on the lounge floor, andshe was offexploring inMin's she wasbreathing heavily, I think its because of hersize,now I don't know how much a fully grown Rex should weighbut shes a big girl, she's approximately 5 years old, and weights over14lbs. She looks fat, hope its fat and not babies (theyassured me she isn't pregnant) she had unlimited pellets and carrotsvery fattening.

Does anyone have any idea's to why she might of had diarrhea and now nothing??

I was disgusted atthe condition of her, what do I do aboutthe center, can I base my experiences on one rabbit rescued from themto report them to be checked out???

Bunny diet??

Congrats on the new bun! What's her name?

Did she have diarrhea at the rescue? A responsible rescue worker wouldnot have let you take home a sick animal. I would take her to the vetif she's not pooping or eating. It could be GI stasis or some kind ofinfection. This website has some info on GI disturbances:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/GI_stasis_pet.htm

You can also look through this site for more info, it's where I found that article.
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html

Just to be safe, you should make sure your rabbits don't have any contact with her. Make sure you wash your hands well.

You should probably report the shelter if it's animals were not beingcared for properly, especially if the new rabbit had diarrhea beforeyou brought her home.

When this is over with, a diet should be pretty easy. Slowly switch herover to grass (timothy) hay instead of alfalfa and reduce the carrots.If the pellets are alfalfa, you can switch to a timothy type of those,too. Alfalfa isn't good for adult rabbits, anyway. The House RabbitSociety has a page describing how much pellets to feed rabbits ofdifferent ages. Then just let her run outside of her cage and encourageher to play with toys inside and out of her cage. Since she was used toa high-calorie diet with little play time she'll probably drop weighteasily.

naturestee wrote:
Congrats on the new bun! What's her name?

Did she have diarrhea at the rescue? A responsible rescue worker wouldnot have let you take home a sick animal. I would take her to the vetif she's not pooping or eating. It could be GI stasis or some kind ofinfection. This website has some info on GI disturbances:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/GI_stasis_pet.htm

You can also look through this site for more info, it's where I found that article.
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html

Just to be safe, you should make sure your rabbits don't have any contact with her. Make sure you wash your hands well.

You should probably report the shelter if it's animals were not beingcared for properly, especially if the new rabbit had diarrhea beforeyou brought her home.

When this is over with, a diet should be pretty easy. Slowly switch herover to grass (timothy) hay instead of alfalfa and reduce the carrots.If the pellets are alfalfa, you can switch to a timothy type of those,too. Alfalfa isn't good for adult rabbits, anyway. The House RabbitSociety has a page describing how much pellets to feed rabbits ofdifferent ages. Then just let her run outside of her cage and encourageher to play with toys inside and out of her cage. Since she was used toa high-calorie diet with little play time she'll probably drop weighteasily.
I'm not feeding her alfalfa they were, she isn't having carrotseither, I'm giving her the same as mine pellets (not alfalfa) andmeadow hay, she isn't in contact with the other buns because I'm notsure whats wrong with her fur. She's been having loads ofexercise, because i don't have a cage big enough yet, she has the wholerun of a stable with her bed in the corner she seems to be happy, Iwill she how she is tomorrow and take it from there, thanks for thelinks I will have a look. I was wondering if she might havewool block?

Wool block would not have caused the diarrhea, unless the diarrhea and lack of poo/eating are caused by different problems.

Best of luck, and yes PICTURES!

I would have said perhaps a coccidia infection,as common as that can be... but if your rabbit seems fine now then itwas probably just a diet, it isn't a very healthy diet for an adultrabbit anyway. As for the timothy pellets, the only ones I can think ofis Katee Timothy complete which I *love*. I hope everythingworks out for you and your new bun. :)

LOL Thats typical of the breed ,

Have your vet check herfor Mites , it couldalso be part of the pooing incidentunles she had no clue it wasthe c word ( never rememebr how to spellit ) .;It may not havebeen diareah to start withit just doesnt clean upthat quickly . altho with betterfood and a steadyier diet itmay have happened ,

By the sounds this is a poorlyrun rescue to say the least ,was the place almost TOO clean? I am not sure ofthe rules in your part of theworld are but here we have tohave a license from theAgraculture Dept torun a rescue . did she show you one ?

As fro the Facility I wouldcall someone about itsomething isnt just right withit ya know , * word to thewise if she is constantlydistracted by a toddler chancesfor that doe being pregnantare very high , * JMO butI would definately watch her forthe signs.

Back