Bun Economics...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see...

Everything is bought in bulk, including the litter which I get from a semi-local breeder/food and litter distributor. I think litter costs me $13 for 50lbs, and it's really nice litter [soy based].

Toys are pine cones, paper towel rolls, and untreated wicker baskets I get at Goodwill.

My ex-pen was given to me by a friend.

I buy the cheapo rolled oats at Kroger. :p I can get a huge canister for a dollar if it's on sale.

All my current cages were bough used from the breeder where I got my English Lops from, so I ended up with 5 holes [feeders and hay racks included] for $200... But it looks like I'm going to end up replacing everything with dog cage banks [which are expensive! :?]

Hay is bought from Southern States; an $8 bale lasts forever.

I get all my herbs [parsley, oregano, basil, mint, and others] free from a family friend's herb garden, and I'm hoping to start up my own garden in the spring. I actually haven't bought fresh veggies from the store in months. Finding quality veggies is getting harder and harder.

My vet is awesome- If something's up with one of the bunnies, but I'm not sure if it's an emergency, she'll usually let me bring him/her in for a look without charge. I had an emergency with one of my babies a few weeks ago, and we were literally in and out of the vet's every other day for two weeks; I don't think she charged me for anything except his surgery. She didn't even charge me in the end when it ended up he needed to be put down, and she cremated him for free for me, which was very touching.

One of the vendors who's always at the shows I'm at is very helpful with not letting me overspend on his items; I was going to buy some bungee cords for my hand truck at the last show, and he told me that I could get the same thing from the dollar store. :D

So, I guess my strategy is having friends in high places.

Revverress wrote:
My vet is awesome- If something's up with one of the bunnies, but I'm not sure if it's an emergency, she'll usually let me bring him/her in for a look without charge. I had an emergency with one of my babies a few weeks ago, and we were literally in and out of the vet's every other day for two weeks; I don't think she charged me for anything except his surgery. She didn't even charge me in the end when it ended up he needed to be put down, and she cremated him for free for me, which was very touching.
I am very sorry for your loss. :( :hug2: But it's surelycomfortingthat your vet acted so compassionately toward you in your time of need. How wonderful of her!

I'mstarting to believe that many, if not most, vets in large metropolitan areas(or at least in IL) are more money-hungry.

After spending at least $3K in vet bils in under a year, I worked up the courage to tell my vet that we'refinanciallyoverwhelmed. He told me that his office could hold a check for 1-2 weeks andthat credit cards are always accepted. (Just what I need: paying interest on top of already high bills.) Some compassion... :?.

Latest posts

Back