Bun Economics...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring wrote:
I bag the nice quality loose hay from the feed store, so I get unlimited, cheap hay (can get a wide range too.. bit of alfalfa, timothy, local, bluegrass) for free!
You're the second person to mention getting losse hay from the feed store. I went to a feed store this past weekend and didn't see/hear of any loose hay. Do some places just not carry it? Or do you need to ask if they have it lying around? (Silly questions, but I don't know any better. ;))

SnowyShiloh wrote:
For hay, a month or so ago we bought a 100 pound bale of timothy! It cost $42....
I must ask: From what supplier did you get that much hay for that price? I'd definitely pay $42 for a 100-lb. bale of pure timothy hay. :D

For hay I buy what is called a timothy mini-bale it is about half the size of a normal bale at about $10 but it lasts 6months +

For pellets I get a 10lb bag for $3.49 at the feed store.

Litter is yesterdays news for 6.99 for a 13 lb bag, only used in the litterbox. Under the cage I use free Little Nickle newspaper.

As for any veggies my step-dad is the produce manager at albertsons soI get the cuttings or the slightly bad stuff, but if you cut off the bad stuff its good as new.

For any equipment/ supplies like cages, j-feeders, waterbottles ect. I get from rumage sales. I just got a 24"x24" Quality cage companyrabbit cagefor $5, at the feed store they are over $75. I also got two 24" high x-pens for $10.

For rabbit toys they have things around the house (boxes, toilet paper rolls), some baby keys and rattlesfrom goodwill,the rest of their toys pretty much came from grandma (my mom). She brings them toys and treats all the time!

~Hayley

BabyBunnies wrote:
You know that hay is just dried grass - could I just do that? Like pick lots of grass and leave it to dry out then feed that to them..

That probably sounds stupid but its worth a shot - could I? :?
Yeah you can. Thats what I do (although is too cold now). Just leave it out in the sun. Or, give hay fresh. My bunnies get constant hay but they don't eat much as they get fresh grass every morning. Its far easier to buy a bag of hay that will last a while put pick grass to give to them too.

Obviously make sure you give them only small amounts at first and build it up. If your bunnies get regular run/eat time on the grass they should be fine but I'd be careful with non-outdoor bunnies.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Yeah, drying out grass is a good idea! I wouldn't feed it as the only source of hay though- I'm not sure if on it's own it would do a good enough job at keeping their teeth worn down well enough- that's why I prefer to feed a couple of different types of hay- also, because they seem to like the variety lol.

My buns are so fussy though- they wont eat grass that's not in the ground! When they're in the garden they'll eat it until the cows come home, but if I pick some and put it in their cage, they ignore it. If they're playing on the patio I'll pick some for them, and they'll sniff it but they wont eat it?! :dunno :craziness

I only have very small rabbits so they don't eat much :p. How's that for good economics ;).

Grass is an excellent way to wear down teeth, not dried though, fresh. Someone I know who is studying vet care at university here said her professor did a demonstration how when grass is ground between rabbits teeth, it forms a corrosive paste somehow that keeps the teeth worn down perfectly and he said better than hay does, which is more folded in the mouth and swallowed than ground against the teeth.

hay is certain types of dried grass tho. I would say it's ok but I prefer using a good quality hay.

Now, I used to sometimes use the barn hay from the horses, but when it was primarily alfalfa I couldn't and Bo is allergic to the dust from that hay.

Now we have more grass (the field needs reseeded) and I have been using it for the rabbits and Tony loves that hay BUT we have had problems with hay mites in the area. I don't want them in my house - they bite! and it hurts! and they itch!

Be real careful buying hay in bales. check for white powdery stuff - that's mold.

A bit off topic, but i was wondering. What is horse hay, and can you feed it to bunnies? Around here, the only hay you find for sale is horse hay or cattle hay, and I don't know what they're composed of. I did buy a 25lb bale of oxbow timothy hay 9 mo ago (about) and i still have a lot of it.

:yeahthat:

My vet said it would be better for Muffin's teeth (she had nutritional deficiencies from previous owners) because of the minerals in them. There's this molecule, silica, that is part of sand and silicon computer chips and silicon caulking. When it's wet, it is better for grinding than when it is dry, although dry silica (think of sand) is still really good for grinding. Hydrated (wet) silica is found in fresh grass, and dry silica is found in hay. If that didn't make sense to you, no worries.:thumbup

Well, I said I wasn't sure, because I wasn't lol! That makes sense to me... So I guess a combo of lots of grass and lots of hay is pretty good then :)

We decided that next time we mow the lawn we're going to leave a big circle in the middle long so that the bunnies can 'trim' it- they always seem to mad when we've cut it because they can't eat it as easily! :p

mouse_chalk wrote:
We decided that next time we mow the lawn we're going to leave a big circle in the middle long so that the bunnies can 'trim' it- they always seem to mad when we've cut it because they can't eat it as easily! :p
LOL, the things we do for our bunnies!!!:nono

slavetoabunny wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
LOL, the things we do for our bunnies!!!:nono
I know lol.... Don't worry, I wouldn't do anything really crazy, like drying off the grass so they could play!! ;)

I buy hay by the bale. It costs $4 per bale, and each bale will last about 4 months.
I use wood pellet litter. I think a 40lb bag cost $7 and will last 3-4 months.
The cages are NIC and I got the panels on sale for $10 a pack. I have gotten some more at garage sales for about $5 per set.
I do spend more on pellets, but some poorer quality ones cost more.
I make my own treats.

Horse hay is a better grade usually than cattle. Horse hay might have a lot of alfalfa in it.

You have to ask the farmer you are buying it from. If you get that much time from 25lbs. of Oxbow, I would use that. Buying a bale of good timothy/grass hay from a farmer might be cheaper but you wouldn't use nearly that much in a year.

uurrrm.... I can save money on this hwole bunny thing one thing i tried is to NOT BUY LUNCH FROM TEH TUCK SHOP!!! :biggrin2:

I buy 10kgs bag of pellets (NRM) for 16$ or 22$ form the pet shop.

and hay is $5.50 for a small bag that last like half a month? or osmehting lik ethat.

toys = garage sales OR sunday markets and my old toys and pet shop (rip of though but still :p)

Veggies: uurrrmmm... well we go to fruit world and buy some for the faimly and teh bunnies LOL...

Vet: well only been twice once when they were 12 weeks for a check up and once when they were 16 weeks when they had the snuffles and had to have anti biotics =[

and then carefresh for litter traysm starting from now. since i JUST foudn out beddings can be used for litter trays.

and etc tec so you see i dnt save much do i?

Prisca:pinkbouce:

Latest posts

Back