bun died

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
me too. i didnt hold her much because she alwaysliked to pee and bite me, was there anything i could have done to saveher? we werent able to make it to the vet but i gave her a little cupto drink out of every now and then...

i hope my other one doesnt get it, it wasnt contagous was it?

It's not highly contagious. Youngerrabbits are normally affected because they lack immunity to manypathogens. Dwarf Hotots (a breed we have) are more prone toGI stasis due to nerve problems with their GI tracts. We seemore incidences of sluggish guts in the spring and fall.

Pam

I'm so sorry that your pet bunny passed away.

There probably wasnt anything that the vet could have done for yourrabbitt. I realize it doesnt make it any easierwith the loss of a beloved pet.

If you need to talk...Im here. I love you!

Mommy

SnapHappy14,

You gave your baby all the love and comforts of home. We always wonderand beat ourselves up over when our bunnies pass and question what wedid wrong. Try not to do that because it's not fair to your brokenheart.

I responded to you in your post about Chloe being sick about a postentitled 'Rainbow Bridge' by BunnyMommy It might bring you somecomfort. There's also a post called something like, 'How did you dealwith the loss of a pet?' It may be on the second page, but you'll seethat we all know your pain and have dealt with it our own different,but same, ways.

I'm so sorry. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

Sorry to hear of your loss snaphappy.

I recently losta 4 month old this weekend as well... which brings me to a question for Pam. :)

This rabbit that died showed no signs of any physical problems. Thefeeces, food and water intake were normal. He was a happy andentergetic bunny. So I decided to perform my own version of a necropsy.I had my aunt who uses rabbits as a form of food was also with me.Every organ looked fine and healthy till we got to the heart. On theheart was a little air bubble which I'm confused about. Would youhappen to know what could have caused this or what it is?

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I'll try to do some research on it later today. Since theheart otherwise appeared normal, it's possible it may have just beena carbon dioxide gas buildup thatoccured afterdeath rather than being related to the actual cause of death.

Did you look at the brain for any sign of hemorrhage?

Pam

Dwarf_Angel04,

I give you a lot of credit for researching the cause of death of yourlittle bun. I couldn't do what you did, but wish I had thestomach and wherewithall to perform such a task.

Will follow along with great interest as to what you and Pamnock determine.

-Carolyn

Pam,
We didn't have a strong enough knife when we were preforming thenecropsy to cut the skull. Although I wish we did because I was in alearning mood. LOL! This death really has me puzzled because the rabbitwas healthy all over but oviously not!

Carolyn,
When a rabbit dies in my barn I allow very brief grief time to occur.The rabbit is dead and I can't bring it back but I do have otherrabbits that are alive that need care. Therefore I research why itdied, what caused the reason of death and any prevention. If anytreatment is needed then off to the cabinet or store I go. :D
IhopeI don'ttry to come across as notcaring that my rabbit(s) died because thats not true.:? I just find inmanatory to find the cause of death to stop future deaths if possible.:D

snapbunny14,
If I have offended you in any way with my discussion with Pam, pleaselet me know and I'll discuss it off board with her. No feelings wouldbe hurt. Again, sorry to hear of your loss. :(

[shadow=violet]~*~Amanda~*~ [/shadow]

Carolyn wrote:
Dwarf_Angel04,

I give you a lot of credit for researching the cause of death of yourlittle bun. I couldn't do what you did, but wish I had thestomach and wherewithall to perform such a task.

Will follow along with great interest as to what you and Pamnock determine.

-Carolyn

We probably won't be able to come to any certain answer -- since astroke is a possibility that we can't rule out, all we can do is throwaround some guesses. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is acongenital defect in the heart that may be a possibility. Itis one of the more "common" causes of sudden death in younger animalsor people.

Further info here (*Warning Graphic*):

http://www.wbvc.bc.ca/hcm.htm

http://www.heartandmetabolism.com/issues/HM21/hm21refcorner.asp

Dwarf_Angel04 wrote:
Pam,
We didn't have a strong enough knife when we were preforming thenecropsy to cut the skull. Although I wish we did because I was in alearning mood. LOL! This death really has me puzzled because the rabbitwas healthy all over but oviously not!

Carolyn,
When a rabbit dies in my barn I allow very brief grief time to occur.The rabbit is dead and I can't bring it back but I do have otherrabbits that are alive that need care. Therefore I research why itdied, what caused the reason of death and any prevention. If anytreatment is needed then off to the cabinet or store I go. :D
IhopeI don'ttry to come across as not caring that myrabbit(s) died because thats not true.:? I just find in manatory tofind the cause of death to stop future deaths if possible. :D

snapbunny14,
If I have offended you in any way with my discussion with Pam, pleaselet me know and I'll discuss it off board with her. No feelings wouldbe hurt. Again, sorry to hear of your loss. :(

[shadow=violet]~*~Amanda~*~ [/shadow]

No, thats fine. I have no problem with it. :dude:

Thanks for that bit of information Pam. Its veryintresting! Although I still haven't had time to sit down and read itword for word. Thats what going to college does to a person LOL! (Nolife outside the books)

[shadow=lime] ~*~Amanda~*~ [/shadow]

pamnock wrote:
It's not highly contagious. Younger rabbits arenormally affected because they lack immunity to manypathogens. Dwarf Hotots (a breed we have) are more prone toGI stasis due to nerve problems with their GI tracts. We seemore incidences of sluggish guts in the spring and fall.

Pam

Help.Please help. I just lost my beloved DwarfHotot 1 week ago and am beside myself with grief.He livedonly 4 years and was my best companion. It happened sofast. Sunday night, my husband went downstairs and noticed hewas sitting on the far side of his 10 foot by 10 foot pen ina spot he never sits, right in front of the entrance to his pen where Iwalk in. He always sits under the hutch side by side with hisfemale companion on the otherside of the pen.Myhusbandmade a comment that my rabbit was "waiting for me" andthat was it. I thought nothing of his comment, figuring hemeant the rabbit wanted to be fed a treat. I already gave hima treat earlier, so I ignored his comment. The next morning, Mondaymorning I fed him and he seemed fine all day.

Monday night, he was sitting in that same unusual spot myhusband saw him the night before and was acting strange, hunched in aball and non responsive. Henormally runs up when Iwalk in his pen. We picked him up and he seemed fine, justtired so we left him alone. Tuesday morning I went down to feed him andhe was sitting in the strange spot again - hunched in a ball and againnonresponsive. I tried to reach out to him and he moved awayand faced the wall. His eyes looked watery and almostcompletely closed and he was grinding his teeth hard. I triedto feed him oats (his favorite treat) but he refused to eat.My husband insisted I should just leave him alone because if I broughthim to the vet, he claimed all animals die at the vet.

I was sick with worry and picked him up. His head startedshaking! I wrapped him in a towel thinking he might be coldand called the vet. They said to bring him down rightaway.The thing they found was his temperature wasonly 91 and it should be at least 101. Then his head shookhard and the vet said there was some type of nuerologicalproblem. She said he was in shock. She kept him for2 days on an IV. That first dayhe wasthere, I called throughout the day and then laterin the day to check on him and she said his temperature was up to 99and he was getting more spunky as he "tried to rip his IVout." The next morning she called to say he was the same butnot out of the woods yet. I asked if I could visit that 2ndday and when I saw him, I put him on my chest and he just stared at me.I tried to feed him some veggies I brought but he refused to eat. Inoticed they had tried to feed him some liquid food but most of it wason his chin. The vet only let me have 10 minutes with him andtook him away. I wanted to bring him back home and finish caring forhim there but she said no - that was a bad idea as his temp was stilllow, he was not eating, and he had no bowel movement. Shesaid he had GI Stasis. I said I would come back and check onhim the next day and left. She said she couldn't give him anyxrays to see what was wronguntil he was stabilized.

I got home and immediately the vet called to say he was having seizuresand wanted to know what she wanted me to do. My husband and Idrove right back to the vet and the seizures were much more violentthan I imagined. I tried to hold him, calm him as much as Icould, but he was out of control. My options, according tothe vet, was to turn him over to the emergency vet, but she said theywould only do what she told them, and that would be to control thesymptoms of the seizures. She said the "infection traveled tohis brain" and the other option I had was to euthanize him. Ididn't want to do this and cried and argued withthevetand my husband for an hour. I wanted to take himhome and said if he was going to die, let him die in my armsor be with his bonded bunny when it happened. Shesaid that would "not be very nice." She indicated he wasbeyond treating to the point he would ever be my normal bunnyagain. I couldn't stand to see him like that andthevet and my husband kept indicating he was suffering, so Iheld him in my arms as she put my baby to sleep. I was devasted andstill am.

I am suffering from guilt. Was my husband right - I shouldhave left him at home and if he was going to die, it would have beenbetter he died at home instead of at the vet's office? Didthe vet do all she could to save him? What could I have doneto prevent this GI Stasis from happening???

I miss him terribly - the loss is so hard to bear. I'mworried my other rabbit, the one he bonded with that I haveand was so close to- misses him.Theygroomed each other constantly. PeoplesuggestI need to get her another companion for her, and I amconsidering it, but I loved my lost rabbit so much, I don't want toreplace him just yet. Will I feel sad if the newrabbit I get not do the same wonderful, cute things my other onedid? Do you think we will see our animals someday again whenwe leave this world?

I'm sorry about your loss of Chloe. She'll be watching over you from the Rainbow Bridge, along with Buck.

Take care. Your thoughts and prayers will be with me.

:sad:

I am so sorry that you lost your DwarfHotot. It's normal to question whether or not you could havedone something different or done something better -- but the fact is,we simply don't know what the future holds and can's possibly preparefor every eventuality.

Scientific theory supports that the universe is constant.Nothing ever disappears, it just changes form. It brings mecomfort to know that my loved ones never have truly left and stillexist all around me.

Pam

Latest posts

Back