Bit of a problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethany

Reaction score
I adopted Buster back in March or April.Hes saidto be about 9yrs old. hes a great rabbit. I love him dearly...but hessuper teritorial and moody...Hes not exactly a lover like I heard somebuns can be. I persoanly like his attitude. Hes very staright forward,not timid.

Hes completly free range of my bedroom. I never shut his cage door. IfI do shut him in there he stomps his feet and chews the cage apart. Hesjust throws a BIG hissy fit.

I never pick him up, unless I absoulutly have to. And only occasionalypet him because hes bitten me several time and to be honest..I'm a bitnervouse to touch him. I interact with him in other ways, like byfeeeding him veggies by hand or tossing toys, but he just doesnt liketo be touched.

My problem is...I havnt slept in my bedroom since about a week after Igot Buster. He comes on my bed at night and literaly sits on my chestor shoulder and looks into my face. I'm terified to push him off ormove or even breath for fear of him biteing me in the face. I cant, ordont know how, to read his body language to tell his temper.

With dogs I know if they are happy, sad, hungry, angry. My dog can walkinto a room with me and I can imediatly tell what shes feeling orneeding. Its cause I was raised with dogs. Buster is the first bun Ihave EVER interacted w/ outside a petshop.

So I guess I'm asking if there are any tell tale signs common to allbuns that will help me determine if hes feeling content..or if he wantsto bite my head off (literaly). I would like to reclaim my bed....Iwake up w/ the worst achs and pains when sleeping on the couch.

Check the Top Picks post at the top of theforums...there's a good site listed in there on bunny body language,I've found it to be very useful. There are also links inthere about aggressive bunnies etc. You'll find lots of greatinfo, hopefully something that will help.

Sorry to hear your first bunny exp is turning out this way!

Good luck!

Yep, read the Language of langomorphs. I was thesame way a month ago regarding interpreting their body language.Admittedly, I had it allllll wrong! I'm hopin' you do too!!

I thought the "pet me" pose was fear.
Binkies meant they were deranged.
Licking my toes would inevitably lead to a good bite.

A bunch of more wrong stuff!

No worries! Even if it turns out he isaggressive, bunnies can change. After some hard work with one of mine,he went from a mean bully to a little sweetie who *loves* to kiss, itcan be done! :)

Omg sounds alful maybe you should put him in thecage when he naughty he will learn not to as he would know he will goin the cage all the best xx gd luck

No, hes not nutered. I was going to have it done, but was recemended not to because of his age (9yrs).

Mabey I'll have to sleep w/ a football helmet or something..:shock:

LMAO:laugh: Is it really that bad? Are you sureits him/her & not just your interpretation? I do not mean to laugh,but you almost make it sound like you are being trapped by a pit bullbunny!

Bethany&co.wrote:
No, hes not nutered. I was going to have it done, but was recemended not to because of his age (9yrs)...
Nine years old is probably not a good age for neutering. The best and proper advice was given to you by PuterGeekGirl and Cheetosmom when they both recommended you access The Language of Lagomorphs and read about bunny non-verbal behaviors. It should anwer your question(s) completely and perfectly, should you make the effort.

Buck

Lemme apologize, I just reread my post and itsounds soooo insensitive to your fears; and, that's not right.:sad:Sorry. My response is particularly bad since you were kind enuff totake in an older, not so baby cute bunny! Sorry.

Besides, I don't even know if its possible to have an attack bunny....

But, i am willing to bet that you're misreading this bun. I. too grewup with dogs and cats and could read 'em as if they were speaking. Ihad to read the recommended reading to intrepret my new guy. Afterminimal reading and alot of studying, I have a pretty good grasp of mynew addition.

Once again, I am sorry.

Lol--dont worry Cheetos, I laughed at yourcomment:) The nice thing about having him around is that none of mysiblings dare go in my room anymore. Hes a good gaurd bun. And like Isaid...I love his persoanlity..just not the bites.

Buck Jones- I am perfectly intent upon "making the effort" to read theartical. I hope you did not infer from my last post that I was going tojust give up on figuring out what Buster's body language means.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Cheetos' Mom,

I'm glad you apologized. I did take your reply as insensitive and rude.It's a Real and Just Concern if one thinks their rabbit will bite themin the face. Certainly nothing to laugh about.

Perhaps you haven't been down that road. When you do, you'll know how frightening it can be.

Dear Bethany,

There are two things that I go by with my rabbits: 1) They have theirown schedule and 2) Sometimes you have to be (as Buck Jones once said),"The Kahuna Rabbit".

I'm wondering if your rabbit is coming to you for affection and gettingto know you when he jumps up onto you. It sort of sounds to me like thelittle one is trying to get acquainted.

Sit on the floor, and don't allow him to get in your face. When heapproaches you, let him smell you and check you out. You'll know whenhe allows you to pet him.

There are times in the care of a rabbit, such as cutting their nails,or giving them medication, or grooming them that they have to behandled. It's for their own good. That's where the "Kahuna Rabbit"attitude steps in.

Check out the post that everyone directed you to. It really is helpful.

If you're nervous, so will be the rabbit. They are so keen on vibes andemotions that I have to keep mine in check all the time or else one ofmine will go into GI Stasis.

At 9 years old, who knows where the little mon has been - or what he's been through - before you graciously adopted him.

I hope and pray that you and he can meet in the middle. It almost seemslike Fate that this little mon is now in your care. He certainly pickeda most loving and willing Mom in you.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

P.S.

By the way, Bethany, you should change your username. I'd be happy tohelp. Private Message me and tell me what new username you wish to beand it'll change it across the board.

The "&" in the username as it is now disables people from sending you Private Messages.

You're entirely right, Carolyn.... please allow me to explain...

I have a tendency to think in rather animated forms. I envisioned asomeome literally laying down in a comfy bed with a football helmet onwith a psycho bun perched on her chest. I forgot the human element. Andthe fact that Bethany was talking about some very real concerns.

And I also forgot to give her the much deserved respect she has earned by not abandoning this critter, in spite of her fears.

Bygones, Cheetos' Mom.

:bambiandthumper:

-Carolyn

Bethany,

Please let us know of any progress. I am very much hoping that you're miss reading him, like I did.

I've begun going through the recemended site,theres a lot of info there! But I hope to be able to figure out whatBuster is trying to tell me.

I think your right, Carolyn, that he may just be trying to come up andget to know me. When I first got him he used to come on my bed and I'dpet him. But then one day I was petting him and for some reason he bitme on the wrist, it hurt pretty bad. And then a couple more times whilepetting him, he bit me. So I just sort of asumed he'd rather be leftalone, and thats fine by me. I'm very much a live and let live kind ofperson. If thats what he wants, then so be it. But I never thaught thatmabey he was trying to get to know me or be friendly.

I usualy just take him to the vet to get his nails done. Hes the onlyone of all my pets who's nails I wont mess with. He also seems to bemissing a couple of toes. So I think hes extra sensative about them.

His history is a huge mystery to me. He was surrendered to the Humanesociety when he was probably about 8. After being there for almost ayear, my friend adopted him and kept him for about 6 months. Shestarted having issues w/ apartments and such so I took him. So I haveno idea where he was for his first 8yrs of life. Although he will bewith me till the end.

And I'll have a PM on thw way for you, carolyn. Thanks!

Hi Bethany,

I know that my Flemish used to give me "nibbles" when I first gother. Some rabbits do that not realizing that ithurts. Believe it or not, they're often referred to as 'lovenibbles'. We've got some members going through that rightnow. When your little one does that, say "OWW!"andpull away. Then go back to petting him. If he doesit again and is seeming to be aggressive, but if he's doing it whilehe's calm, then I would take it as a nibble. Some rabbitsdon't know that nibbles aren't kisses. They can be broken ofthat habit. It takes a few times to do it, but they get themessage.

I'm so gladBuster is Finally Home. What a great story of love to have you rescue him at 9 years old.

:sunshine:

-Carolyn

Thanks for switching my username, carolyn!

And tonight I am going to sleep in my bedroom for the first time inmonths and see how it goes. After all the suggestions from the peopleon this site and from reading the language of lagomorphs I am confidentthat me and Buster can work some sort of living together arangmentsout. :)

Latest posts

Back