BABY BUNNIES!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kookookachoo221

Reaction score
Hey everyone!!! Yesterday my rabbit had about 4baby bunnies! I am soo happy that this time they were not still bornlike the other time:X:?:(But now i know i willnever do this again(breeding) well i just wanted to share the goodnews! And one of my friends was wondering if you could keep a bunnywith a guinea pig? i didnt know so i told her i would get back bout it!well i think i am going to try to send pic. a littlelatur!:)im soo happy now that they are healthy!

kookookachoo

Congratulations!!!! That's just wonderful news!

I think you can room a bunny and piggy together as long as they get along and you use appropriate materials for both in the cage :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Congratulations!!!! That's just wonderful news!

I think you can room a bunny and piggy together as long as they get along and you use appropriate materials for both in the cage :)
Remember guinea pigs need Vitamin C to keep healthy so that could make it harder to keep them in the same cage. ;)

Thanks for the information! I know thatI am not aloud to touch the babies yet, but how am i suppose to know ifthe moms feeding the babies withought touching?!? Becuase the babiesare moving and everything but i cant tell if there bellies are biggerbecause they are under all the nesting! Please help!:)

kookookachoo

kookookachoo221 wrote:
Thanks for the information! I know that I am notaloud to touch the babies yet, but how am i suppose to know if the momsfeeding the babies withought touching?!? Becuase the babies are movingand everything but i cant tell if there bellies are bigger because theyare under all the nesting! Please help!:)

kookookachoo

Firstly congratulations on the new kits.

This is what I thought at first, but don't be afraid to handle thebabies gently. You need to make sure that all the babies are well andare being fed. If any of the babies have died then you need to removethem from the nest. As you have said all of them must have fullbellies. If there are any kits that are thin looking and the skinshriveled then she may not be feeding them and they may need your help.Make sure that Mummy has a treat and you should be fine. Don't worryabout your scent on them.

Have you got a nest box just in case the little ones wander out and get lost?

Make sure that Mummy has plenty of pellets, hay and water, very obvious I know.

I'm am not a breeder and have only had two litters, so any advice from a breederis welcome!

Good Luck keep us posted :)!!!

Vickie

PS - As for the guinea pigs and Rabbits. I havehad friends that have successfully housed a rabbit with a piggie, but Iknow some people don't recommend it. If it is a baby rabbit then thereshould be no problems, but some people say that a rabbit may injure apiggie if they hop onto him. Before housing together I would recommendintroducing them on neutral territory.

I have done a google search for you and a couple of links came up:

http://www.rspcareadingguineapigs.co.uk/rabbits&pigs.html
http://cavycages.com/rabbits.htm
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/gpfriends.shtml

Of course the decision is up to your friend. Like I said some recommend some don't.

Vickie

So yo are saying that its okay to touch thebabies?:?becuase one of my friends was a vetrinarian and shesaid that if you touch the babies the mother will kill them!:?

please reply

kookookachoo

I have never had baby bunnies, so i dontpersonally know. but ive followed the adventures of breeders and"accidental babies" here, and i know for a fact that the scent of youon the babies will not make the mommy kill them. i know its that waywith some other rodents, but bunnies wont.

Oh thanks so much becuase my mom just went outand made sure the bunnies were being fed. How big are thebellies suppoise to be? Becuase the babies were all huddled near eachother keeping warm but i dont know if they are being fed like they aresuppose to! We have 6 baby bunnies that i am thinking are all healthy!

kookookachoo221

http://www.rabbit.org/care/newborn.html

Take a look at this link. It should give you some useful information onany questions you may have. I know when you have your first litterthere is so much to worry about and you have so many questions.

If all the babies are pink and nice and warm then there should be no problems.

It sounds like you and your Mum are doing a great job in making sure that the kits are ok

Vickie

Rabbits and guinea pigs together may or may notwork, it takes a lot of consideration as they are two totally differenttypes of critters. Their nutritional requirements are totallydifferent, so a rabbit eating g.p. food would recieve waaay too muchvitamin C, and bunny food may also contain antibiotics that preventcoccidiosis, which can be fatal to g.p's.

Because they are so different they often will not understand eachother's body language, resulting in stress or frustration for bothanimals. Piggies are relatively fragile, and rabbits have been known toinjure or even kill g.p's with their leaps and kicks. G.p's areespecially at risk if the bunny is a larger breed.

I'm not saying it doesn't sometimes work, but there are risks,and you'd have to be prepared to seperate them if the need arises (andthen your piggie would be lonely, and you'd have to get another one -it's a vicious cycle :p)

Here's a good article on it: http://cavycages.com/rabbits.htm

One last note, Daddy isn't in with the babies is he? If he is I would put him in another cage/hutch.

Vickie

No way!!!!! The daddy is in another cage next to the mum.

kookookachoo

Me and my mom just went out and it didntlook like the babies were being fed enough so we held the mommy upsidedown and one at a time put the babies on the mommys bellie! The babiesdrank a whole lot so I think now that that might encourage the mommy tofeed them! How often do the kits need to befed?

kookookachoo

Baby bunnies should eat twice a day...once in theearly moring and in the evening. If their bellies are warm and notsuper wrinkled than they are getting enough to eat. Good luck with thelittle ones...there is a lot of good info on kits in past post if youhave the time to search them.

Fergi's mom

Back