baby bunnies visiting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyusa

Reaction score
My sister-in-law is coming to visit, and she hastwo baby wild rabbits. Their mom was killed by a neighborhooddog but she was able to save the two little ones. Their eyes haven'teven opened yet and Nikki is feeding them with milk bottles, as the vetsaid. I'm worried about them traveling an hour's car ride to come here,but there is no one to care for them if she leaves them at home. One ofthe babies was attacked and is hanging on for life but the other ishealthy.

Since I have my own rabbit, I have all the bunny items. Are they tooyoung for pineshavings or would blankets in their cage bebest?

Sorry I'm not sure about wild rabbits. They onlything I have heard is that in some places keeping a wild rabbit isillegal and I think that the vet might be in trouble - Well done to herfor rescuing them though:). Maybe it would be better for someone whoknows more about this to comment.

Vickie

hmm....oh well if its illegal,I'dratherdo the right thing! Especially when it comes to thelife of an animal. ;)

I just hope they won't get stressed out from the car ride.

I know around her it is illegal to have wild buns.I think it is great she is doing so well with them but in all honestyshe should call the shelter to see if there are wildlife rescue peoplein the area. Cottontails were not meant to live as house buns. Thisowuld be the kindest thing to do for them if willing to help you out

Yeah sorry bunnyusa I didn't want to come accrossas arrogant here:)! It's just a post I read before about wild rabbits -I'm trying to find it but not succeeding :(.

I would have thought that car journey would have been ok for themthough if they are in some sort of carrier. Perhaps try using timothyhay in the carrier as a bed. What is Nikkiusingasbedding now?

Vickie

oh its ok you didn't sound arrogant at all. Idon't know what she's using for bedding right now..I'll have to checkback on that. thanks for all your replies!

Vickie if anyone is concerned about animals andtheir lives being one of good health and love, it's you.You're absolutely correct in it being illegal to harbor them, that'swhy we have wildlife rehabbers here--to take care of such situations.

Don't sweat it. The last thing you are is arrogant!

Bunnyusa,

If you do wish to try it on your own rather than call the wildliferehabber, you should get KMR from your local pet store (Kitten MilkReplacer) and a bit of cream. I understand that cow's milkwillwork too.Give them aneyedropper fulleach day. The exact amount has to begiven or overfeeding will kill them. They like itlukewarm.

Put them in a small cardboard box with high sides and somehay.Eyes usually open 10-11 days after birth. Theywill start eating hay and some pellets after about 2 weeks.

Don't keep them together after 2 months or they're rip each otherapart. Please realize that the probability ofthemsurviving in captivity is very low.

-Carolyn

Bunnyusa,

Make sure you have enough of hay so that they can stay warm. They can get a chill quickly.

Please keep us posted.

-Carolyn

I regret to inform everyone that the one that gotattacked died. :(But the other one is doing great, and issnuggled with her duckie and warm towels. The vet is keeping an eye onher.

I was afraid that was going to happen, bunnyusa.

At least the little one was loved before it passed on. You sure tried hard!

Thank you so much for getting back to us.

Keep us posted how things go with the other little one.

I'm so sorry. I know how badly you wanted it to workout.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back