Any ideas on my new baby's breed and coloring?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
This is my new little girl. My mom brought her home from the pet store today (Pet Supplies Plus). She's adorable, but I don't know what breed and/or color she is. I was thinking she might be the Tan breed, but I thought they had a finer bone structure. But, aside from that, I've never seen one in person so I haven't the slightest idea. I think they may be a rare breed anyway. According to my mom the cages were just marked with "dwarf rabbit." And we all know how truthful that is...

So, any ideas? Name suggestions welcome as well.

Girly.jpg

Girly5.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Yep - a black Tan. Any tattoo in the ear?

Let's home she doesn't have that Tan attitude! Shame on them for selling Tans in pet stores :X

Pam

So she is a Tan...I was right :). I'm pretty proud of that - he he ;).

She doesn't have a tattoo in her ear. I've looked her over pretty well and she looks to be in good condition though she's quite small and I'd suspect her to be somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks. Maybe closer to 10 or 12. I don't know, but she does look younger than my babies who are just over 15 weeks old.

I'm certainly not a fan of pet stores, but I'm glad she was rescued from there. Our Pet Supplies Plus stores are pretty good and they do take relatively good care of the animals as best I can tell. My mom said that she was in pretty good conditions, but looked really scared and that's why she brought her home to me. She said that they said she had only been there for a couple of days and she was the only bunny they had. I think I've swayed my mom because now she's the one asking tons of questions and bringing bunnies and other small animals home.

I know nothing about the Tan breed. Anything I should watch out for since you said you hoped she didn't have the typical Tan attitude? And why should pet stores not sell Tans? I know that seems ignorant as I don't think pet stores should sell any animals - especially rabbits - but I'm just curious based on what you shared. I'm a curious girl with a very cute bunny - what can I say?!

:biggrin2:.

Tans are what is called a running breed. They tend to have a lot of energy and need plenty of space to run. I've never had one, but I've heard they can be a little snotty. I think they are absolutly gorgeous, good luck with your little one!

Alexah wrote:
I know nothing about the Tan breed. Anything I should watch out for since you said you hoped she didn't have the typical Tan attitude? And why should pet stores not sell Tans? I know that seems ignorant as I don't think pet stores should sell any animals - especially rabbits - but I'm just curious based on what you shared. I'm a curious girl with a very cute bunny - what can I say?!

:biggrin2:.

I like Gentle Giant's personality description of Tans as "snotty". That certainly describes Tans! We used to breed them, but currently only have one little lady - a chocolate Tan.

Tans are hyper, prone to bite and are nasty scratchers. However, they are one of the most intelligent breeds.

Pam

Her ears look too Big and she looks too lean and racy for a Tan, She looks more like a Black and Tan Belgian Hare to me, My B&T Belgian looked Just like your little Bunny when she was little..

DSCF2163.jpg

DSCF2167.jpg

I have seen quite a few baby tans in my day lol that is a black tan. that would be awesome if you started showing! Lol but thats a whole nother conversation.

I have been pretty lazy in updating my baby tan thread and website with updated pictures of my babies but here are some pictures for comparison. These are my latest babies now 4 weeks old. Yours looks more developed in her head and ears so I would say 5-7 weeks old.

100_0573.jpg

100_0574.jpg

100_0575.jpg

I would highly recommend looking at my baby tan thread and also the Terrific Tans Photo Thread Here are links to both. We describe the tan breed in there

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=58708&forum_id=8&highlight=baby+tans

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=66843&forum_id=21

Also I highly recommend reading this made by a nationally known breeder and one of my friends Kelly Flynn
http://www.blueribbonrabbitry.com/Pet Tan Care Sheet.pdf

Mollyrose: I wanted to comment I do agree that tans can get confused with black and tan belgians and wanted to add that you can see a HUGE difference in the marking between a belgian and a true tan. The chest for one is going to be much fuller in a purebred tan than a black and tan belgian. Tans have developed to be more racy nowadays because the tan calls for a graceful rabbit to run the tables. Being smaller helps this look very eye appealing. Most nationally competitive tans are around 4-4.5 lbs. The ears and back feet of a tan are truly bigger than their body especially when younger.

I also wanted to say tans do have a reputation for being nasty but I will say that when they love it is most rewarding. At shows tans are very stressed and high strung because all they want to do is run. They are used to being in their big cages at home then we stuff them in carrying cages for days at a time sometimes and the last thing they want to do is cooperate with a judge lol. If given enough exercise, attention, and handling they can be a great pet rabbit that I personally think is much more fun than a more lazy one or one that will just sit there looking like it's about to have a heart attack if you touch it. If you need anything send me a pm. Tans usually relax around 1.5-2 years of age and become great cuddlers

She is definitely cute! And I think the Tans are a gorgeous breed, and love to watch them on the table. However, I don't think my personality would mesh well with their high-maintenance personalities. LOL Congrats on a cute baby, and I can't wait to hear what you name her!

Latest posts

Back