A Rabbit Scream

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I LuV MaH BuNs

Reaction score
Why does it sound like a pigglet squealing? Dothey do it just to scream or are there reasons that they scream? If youtouch your bunny and it screams is it a sign of pain or is it justscared?

I was just wondering becuase Zee and I were talking about it.

Thanks!

-Danielle

Danielle , Itcould be one or both reasons forthem screaming . Fear isusually the main reason tho. I have kits thatdo that IF they think Yourgoing to pick them up . All you have to do is lift the lidand stick your hands in andthey scream like somthing is after them ,kinda unnerving to say theleast :shock:. I never recond it to a pigletscreaming it always soundeddifferent to me . A whole differentsound on its own . I do knowonce you hear it its a sound your notlikely to forget anytime soon . andIts imediately recognizable as arabbit scream nothing less .

I did a search and it came up with "Rabbitscreaming in trap" and i played it, it sounded a lot like a pigglet! Isthere a clip somewhere on the internet that I can find it and play itso I know what I am hearing if i ever hear it?

I've only ever heard that sound twice before,and found it to be bloodcurdling. The first time was after a girl hadgiven me a rabbit she no longer wanted, and I had let it run around thebasement while I prepared a cage for it. When I went to catch it, thepoor thing was so scared...she startled and ran. I finally managed tocorner her and pick her up, and that's when she let loose this ungodlyscream, and I promptly dropped her. The second time I heard it was whenmy cat was loose at my dad's cottage. He was outdoors and caught ayoung kit...maybe 8 weeks old...and it screamed. I ran outdoors but thelittle thing died of fright before I could do anything to help it. :(To me the sound is similar to a baby screaming at a highpitch....extremely unsettling (which is it's purpose...a rabbit willscream if a predator has it trapped in the hopes the scream willunnerve them enough to loosen their grip for a moment, givinig thebunny a slim chance of escape).

I swear, that sound stops my heart....

I have never ever heard a rabbit scream before.

Although, I have read somewhere on the internet that rabbit screams aremore likely because your rabbit is in pain, OR it is very frighten.

~ Katy

Oh, you'll know when a rabbit screams!It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! And Gypsyis right, I have a 4 week old Mini Rex that screams for no reason atall that I can find. Every time momma stands up and moves,this baby screams! Most vocal little thing I've everheard!
I have a "baby minder" in the barn, can hear every little sound...after 8 days of running out there every hour, I gave up! Lether scream all she wants. Her mother even ignores her!

BlueGiants wrote:
Oh, you'll know when a rabbit screams! It makesthe hair on the back of my neck stand up! And Gypsy is right,I have a 4 week old Mini Rex that screams for no reason at all that Ican find. Every time momma stands up and moves, this babyscreams! Most vocal little thing I've ever heard!
I have a "baby minder" in the barn, can hear every little sound...after 8 days of running out there every hour, I gave up! Lether scream all she wants. Her mother even ignores her!
:laugh:

Oh that is just too funny! Seems like the little stinker wants attention. lols. Sign him up for vocal lesssons!

LOLS.

Katy

Ive heard a rabbit scream. As I said to Danielle.

It was the worse sound I have heard in my life.

It sounds very similar to a child screaming.

For all that have not heard one, be thankful. I does made your hair stand on end.

Any sound from an animal in pain is something excrutiating to listen to, especially if you have a heart for animals.

It doesn't seem fair that something so innocent has to suffer like the rest of us in this messed up world.

Okay, that's enough philosophy. Back to work editing for me.

~Amanda

*****did a search and it came up with"Rabbit screaming in trap" and i played it, it sounded a lot like apigglet! Is there a clip somewhere on the internet that I can find itand play it so I know what I am hearing if i ever hear it? ***

Dont believe everything you hear over theInternet , its always a bitdistorted or just plain wrong .A real scream really doesnt soundmuch like a piglet trustme the first time youhearit you will knowit imediately , Your knees go weak , thelittle hairs all stand at attention , andwe wont mention what thebladder just might do .its an awfull soundto say the least .

************Oh, you'll know when a rabbit screams! It makesthe hair on the back of my neck stand up! And Gypsy is right,I have a 4 week old Mini Rex that screams for no reason at all that Ican find. Every time momma stands up and moves, this babyscreams! Most vocal little thing I've ever heard!
I have a "baby minder" in the barn, can hear every little sound...after 8 days of running out there every hour, I gave up! Lether scream all she wants. Her mother even ignoresher!******************

:laugh:I can so see medoing something like that , They are so cute atthat age lmao .

Buster does this too, whenever you go to pick him up....

It's actually getting quite old! :disgust:

So needless to say I only pick him up when I have to cut his nails, or any other grooming "ordeal" LOL!

:monkey::monkey::monkey::mrsthumper:

Some of you may remember when Bub was a youngsquirt, and freaked me out by screaming. He did it several times for noreason other than that I was paying attention to someone else.:X

Linz, grunting can be anger, dominance, curiosity, love (males!), conversation, you name it!;)

Rose

Just got done feeding everyone in thebarn. The little bugger did it again! I'm on theother side of the barn, "talking" to one of my Flemmie girls, andsomeone starts screaming! No, it does not sound like apiglet... I run around to the other side and she's sitting in themiddle of the cage, momma's on one side, siblings in the back,asleep... and her, screaming for no good reason! I picked herup, checked her over. No injuries, no broken nails, no nipsor bites. Put her back down, she screams again!Mouth open, little teeth showing, really screaming. I haven'tgot a clue! I'm open to suggestion... someone is going tothink I'm doing something bad to my bunnies!:dunno:

OH! She got my attentionalright! She sure did! :foreheadsmack: Myheart can't take too much more of this! Everytime shescreams, it stops!

Some of our Himalayans were triggered intoscreaming jags by certain sounds (water running or pouring feed intothe bin). They would just sit there and very calmly begin acontinual stream of squealing, then stop when the noiseceased. Very weird -- they wouldn't act afraid at all -- theywould just squeal.

Pam

Thanks Pam, now I just have to figure out what'striggering her, and never do it again! LOL! She is SOloud! (And your right, she's not showing any fear and doesn'tappear to be in pain.) :?

Latest posts

Back