2011 Texan Tales & Tails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY mom leaves the computer alone!!

Its been a long couple of days and I have so many updates I want to share.

First of all - Thunder has been reinstated as Assitant Matron. She has "reduced" duties due to her "condition". She and I had a talk....well....let me start at the beginning.

Mom came outside the other night and sat on the porch with me. We were going to have a "mom & matron" conference and she brought an apple for us to share as we discussed the current situation.

By the time we were done with the apple - there were five flemish and one holland lop trying to eat off the apple (everyone got some). I got the most - of course...and I was feeling much better between the apple in my stomach and the pets mom had given me.

Thunder started grooming me (I still had apple juice on my chin - it was a VERY juicy apple) and as she groomed me - she apologized for her attitude the other day. She said that its horrible lately how she'll feel ok for a while and then suddenly feel a rage come over her for a bit and she wants to bite everyone and thump them off. She said she can't get over it - she'll be fine one minute- angry the next and an hour or so later - its like shes over it. She said she wants to hide all the time too because she feels big ... and grumpy...and she's tired of hearing the girls whisper behind her back.

By the time she apologized to me, mom had already helped me realize that part of the reason I was so upset with Thunder - was because I didn't know how I was going to tell my mom and dad that my daughter was having e-lop mixes! I also explained to her that it is hard enough in this world to be a purebred bunny....but to be a mixed breed bunny (or couple) makes things so much harder.

Anyway - the talk was good for us (mom later said that was why she brought the apple over) and we worked out a few things. Until she goes on "maternal leave" she will act as assistant matron but with no flirting duties. Instead, she will do quality control checks to see if the bucks are happy with the does and she'll do food patrol to make sure the food gets out to everyone (after she's had a chance to eat).

I also pulled the other flemish does aside and had a chat with them. I explained that sometimes a doe will make a mistake and hook up with the wrong guy or for the wrong reasons. I explained that no matter whether the babies had ears that lop or ears that are up ears...we will LOVE those babies and accept them and love on them once they get playtime. The girls complained some and griped that I wouldn't take the same attitude if THEY were the ones who got pregnant - but I reminded them that we are a herd and we stay together and support one another and that Thunder needs our support during this time.

Once the does had scattered - I talked to the bucks and explained the situation to them. Needless to say - the flemish bucks were VERY VERY upset that they did not get to breed with Thunder and they offered to take Brady Hawkes out back and beat him up. But I explained that Brady wasn't totally at fault...and reminded them that we are a herd....so we will support Thunder and not laugh at her or the babies.

I still heard snickers after I hopped away. I suspect it was because dad was saying "Flemmie X e-lop cross = flee-lop" or "flea-lop".

In addition - when I talked to the bucks - both Rudy and Dukey made a recommendation for an assistant to the assistant herd matron. They recommend Cindy's daughter "Dotty".

I explained that I wasn't prepared to give a lop the responsibilities of a herd matron and that it should be the role of a flemish giant because we are more gentle and patient.

But Dukey was quite insistent - to the point that he sat up and periscoped for over 10 minutes while he argued his point.

It seems like Dotty has been spending several hours per day between their two cages. She chins one cage for 10 minutes and then chins the other cage for 10 minutes. She lays by Dukey a lot - but will also lay by Rudy if he says he'd like some attention. Both boys said she gives good groomings too....and is very patient with them as they try to tell her where to groom on their noses and cheeks.

I had a talk with Dotty. She has no desire for power...she just likes those two boys. She said she would consider being "lop herd matron" if I wanted to give her that role....but the holland lop bucks are up too high for her to flirt with right now. We decided to table the discussion for now and come back to it later.

Dukey is quite excited though - it is the first time one of his suggestions has come up for SERIOUS consideration.

Finally - everyone here is all excited and I'm trying to help them see reason. It seems like next weekend mom is going to have a "tattoo and weighing" party. Those bunnies that are in show condition will get weighed and if they weigh enough - they'll get tattooed for the state show in April. (Mom has to send in the registration by March 22nd).

Harmony is definitely going and I think Athena is too. I've already told mom - don't expect to tatto ANYTHING in my ear....I will kick and fight. I've tried telling the girls that it hurts to get a tattoo.

But Harmony's girls are bound and determined that they want to go see what a "show" is. Cindy keeps talking about how she got to talk to all these cute bucks from all over Texas....and how much fun it was (that's where she met mom). She also brags a lot that she has two "best of breeds" for the holland lop from another show she went to.

So the girls are scarfing down all the food and hay that they can so they'll weigh enough to be able to go. One of Harmony's girls wants to beat out her mama - but honestly - there is NO WAY she can do that. Let's face it - Harmony is almost 17 pounds....and if I do say so myself...she is in very nice shape.

Of course -it didn't help that mama said that the show rabbits were gonna be having their food supplemented with other stuff...like wheat germ (to make their fur shiny) and other stuff.

I don't care. My fur is just fine for me.

Besides....my grandbabies will be almost a month old by then...a good age to get to know them and watch them play.

So that is an update here from the rabbitry.

Oh - and rumor has it that we have a new rabbit coming in tomorrow...but he (yep - a buck) might live in the office. We'll have pictures once he gets here...if all works out. I understand he's....white. (Like Zeus - my nemesis).

One last thing - why is it that when a gal is starting to show that she's having babies - humans keep wanting to pat her tummy?

Sheesh...its enough to drive Thunder crazy.

No wonder she keeps digging in the bathtub and threatening to have her kids in there!

In March of 2008, Zin (GoinBacktoCali) went to the TSC in her area after Easter and found a rabbit that she HAD to take home. The rabbit had a broken leg and she took him home and got him back to health. She wound up naming him Ske-doosh and he became a heart bunny.

The problem was...I fell in love with him too. In her thread about him - I joked about him coming here....but as it turns out - I was right.....He WAS destined to come here...just now - not way back then.

Here are pictures of Ske-doosh the day she brought him home from TSC...

[align=center]
DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

[/align]
And here are some photos of him after he healed up and was playing outside one day a couple of months later.

[align=center]
DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

[align=left]I can't share current photos because he is currently somewhere between San Antonio and here....in the van with Art & Robin.

But I'm so excited...I just HAD to share!

[align=center]
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY SKE-DOOSH!!!!!
[/align] [/align] [/align]

I've had some folks mention that they would love to see a current photo of Ske-doosh and I promise I'll take one later this week. While he's very social - he's also a bit skittish and had a LONG day yesterday and I'd like to give him some time to feel better so I can capture his personality better.

We did have something funny happen today though that I have to share.

Angel has many nicknames. Angel-cakes, Angel patty-cakes, Angel pudding pie, Angel bumpkins, etc. etc. etc.

Art said today that he always thought the name Angel was for "Angel of Mercy" but after having to break up another session of her attacking and chasing the dogs...he says her name is for "Avenging Angel".

So he decided to pick her up and put her in her cage.

Mind you - Angel has a VERY nice and pretty darn expensive (for us) cage. Here is what I bought her last year shortly after we got her...

[align=center]
24911.jpg

[/align][align=left]Other than the fact she loves to be out and play sometimes and get cuddles (yes - she loves it when I chin her and hold her) - she likes her cage.

But Art thought he'd leave the door open so that when she calmed down - she could get back out.

I don't think he expected this to happen...

[/align][align=center]
IMG_0165.jpg

[/align][align=left]At first she wouldn't even look at me when she saw the camera (and she is usually great for the camera).

I did finally get her to look at me...sorta

[/align][align=center]
IMG_0168.jpg

and her response when I asked her how she was feeling about sharing her cage???

IMG_0158-1.jpg

I think if she wouldn't have been so embarrassed at the photo - she probably would have stuck out her tongue.
[/align]

Although I did not sleep at all last night (sour stomach) - this morning was a really good morning and while I don't have any pictures - I want to blog about it so I will remember it.

It was a gorgeous morning out and I took three of my bucks (one at a time) outside to play in the front porch area which also has a section of dirt/plants, etc. for them to play on. You can sorta understand it from these two photos:

[align=center]
acec235d.jpg

ef44fad5.jpg

[/align][align=left]Jar Jar has been fighting bad abscesses in his dewlap for weeks now - and he's so often used to me picking him up to treat him - that I wanted him to have some fun times too....so he was the first one to go out. He's already had playtimes there three times - so he knew a bit about what to expect. Much of his time was spent flicking me off as he hopped around (boy he has HUGE feet). He'd go near the fence and I'd say "No Jar Jar" and he'd come hopping back. He was so good - I was so proud of him. After about half an hour or so - he settled down and I could see he was done playing - so I petted him for a bit and then brought him back in.

Brady Hawkes (my tort e-lop buck) was next. He'd never been in the front porch area and he really had fun exploring for the first time. It was fun to watch him hop around and play. He chinned lots of things and checked out the fence - but I'd say "No Brady" and he'd come back to me after thinking about it for a bit. (Now if my dogs would learn to be as obedient...and the cat? HA!!!).

Finally - I brought out "Mercury" aka "Merc-puppy". For those who don't know - when Mercury was young and would have his playtimes (with the does locked up) - he'd follow us around like a little puppy. (Once he followed Art into the office where some girls were having playtime and Art didn't notice it .... till about 5 minutes later (which was too late for Meatloaf!)). He just loves people. I think watching him was almost the most fun - partly because he's been so special to me for so long now and because I am realizing that he's not my "little boy" anymore. He was the youngest of my first four flemish giants that I bought for breeding....and he's just matured into an awesome rabbit that I can't imagine ever sharing with anyone else. I am thinking that tomorrow I may take him out again and get some photos with him. He was chinning individual pieces of grass - and he even started digging (something the other two didn't do). Shortly before he went outside - I weighed him. I was somewhat disappointed because he is 14.9 pounds and I've been toying with going to the state show in April. I knew he was looking so much better and had grown - but I honestly thought he weighed more. Yet - as I watched him play - I realized a couple of things.

I realized I'd rather have him slightly smaller because it might mean he will live longer and have less stress on his heart. I also realized.....I don't know that I really WANT to go to the show (at least not to show).

I've come to realize that for me - breeding isn't about the showing and it isn't about the "getting them to breed standard". Breeding for me - is about being able to provide people with a rabbit that will enhance their life in some way.

I really do miss breeding - a lot. I didn't realize how much until I talked to a fellow breeder who also "retired" from breeding. Last week she mentioned she was trying to decide who to breed and I was like "but you're out of breeding". She said, "Yes and no. I breed just enough to have fun with it - three or four litters at a time a couple of times per year. But I don't breed to sell show rabbits or to sell to breeders....".

I realized...she's doing what I would want to do if I was going to go back into breeding.

I've been thinking about that a lot - and I've been thinking about mistakes I've made as a breeder. Having these foster babies here has really REALLY helped me a lot. You probably think it is because I have babies around to play with - right? Well...that's nice. But you'd be wrong.

You see - these three little ones are adorable. I love watching them...right now one is binkying in the cage. BUT....I will probably take them back to the feed store next week (I thought about doing it this week but decided to wait one more week). They're now old enough and big enough and socialized enough that they should be ok for whoever gets them. (We even think #1's eye is healing).

The reason they've been so good for me - is that they've taught me that I can love on them and love them...but not have them be "mine". I realize that is something I've done wrong - I've always looked on our litters as "mine" and that is part of why its been so hard to let them go. Also - there were other things I would do differently so it would be easier to let them go.

What I'm sharing here - I haven't even shared with Art yet - mainly because I'm mulling it over - praying about it - thinking about it - trying to decide what is best for me and for my family. (In the last 6 weeks or so my numbers have dropped by about 10% due to older does that passed).

I have had two calls in the last week from people who got my name from the feed store and they were looking for rabbits. I've also had a few emails about flemish giants as pets from people who saw an old ad on hoobly.

I guess what I'm saying/thinking is....I would like to go back into limited breeding....but there are some things I would change.

For one thing - I would like to work with FOUR breeds....but only a trio in three of the breeds. One breed that I already have is hollands - and I would not need to add any rabbits to this. I have enough flemish.

I would like to bring in two e-lops girls (Ellie Mae has wry neck and even if she recovered...she has already had her body compromised...I'd never breed her).

I also would like to bring in a trio of Polish. I must admit - I am so in love with this breed - the more I read about them and the more I experience Angel...all I can say is "wow".

(Ok - it would be nice to add in mini-rex...but hey...I have to be careful here).

So why these four breeds and why so many breeds?

Both of the lops are high-energy breeds and they're a lot of fun and mischievous. In addition - you can't get either breed within 150 miles of here.

The flemish - well - they're just big babys...like puppies.

In the rabbitry area - I was posting in a thread about lionheads and I kept wanting to say, "Don't get a lionhead for your first rabbit. If you want a 'starter' rabbit...get a Polish". I didn't say it - but I found myself thinking it a lot.

I've also been thinking, "what if I wasn't breeding for show...what if I could just decide to breed Nyx and Dukey together because they're personalities are so hilarious and the babies would probably try to take over the world...". Could you imagine what those babies would be like? (I almost don't dare to think about it).

So I'm asking myself some very hard questions right now....how much do I want to go back into breeding? Can we afford it (you should see our feed bill now)? What would my breeding schedule be like? Could I distance myself enough from the kits to let them go?

I would love it if instead of selling rabbits to just anyone...the feed store would say, "Here is our contact and you can talk to her about buying a rabbit." It would allow me to talk to people and educate them before they get a rabbit...

I don't know - it is a lot to think about.

But my life right now is...in a different place than it was before. I'm not working outside the home - I'm able to focus on the rabbits and my health and my home. I find the rabbits just bring me so much joy and I'm enjoying taking turns with the bucks and taking them outside and watching them enjoy nature.

On a different note - we could use prayers as we have a LOT of mice and even though we're using catch and release traps - I just saw baby mice today (well - old enough to be getting food on their own). Great!

Art & I already decided this morning that we're going to take all of the flooring out of the cages this weekend and spray them down with the power washer and stuff...and the litterboxes, etc. (We use dog cages and litter boxes for the flemish).

Then in a couple of weeks we'll probably take all the cages out and really clean the room too - but for now - we're gonna focus on the cages. (18 months ago we lost something like 20 or more rabbits due to a virus and while most of our lionheads should be immune to it - the flemish weren't really here at that time).

Well - I guess that is it for now.

Lots to think about - pray about - talk to Art about. I think that when/if Thunder delivers...it will help me make up my mind about some things.

[/align]

Well - I wound up doing a breeding tonight. I had to break up one doe from fighting three times - she was attacking all the other does (and she's normally pretty good natured when she doesn't want to breed) - plus she was chasing after the holland lop girls (and one cried).

Now let's hope she doesn't have 13 babies again...

The breeding? Nyx and Dukey.

I am going to do two more breedings tomorrow with other does I think so I'll have back-ups.

[align=center]
IMG_0216.jpg

[/align][align=center]Jar Jar Binks
[/align]
[align=left]Tonight was cage cleaning night for some bunnies - they weren't happy...
[/align]

[align=center]
IMG_0213.jpg

[/align] [align=center]Big Jake
[/align]
[align=center]
IMG_0210.jpg

[/align] [align=center]Harmony
[/align]
[align=center]
IMG_0208.jpg

[/align] [align=center]C J "You're NOT getting MY litterbox"
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align][align=center]
IMG_0203.jpg

Mercury aka "Puppy"
[/align]

I've been hesitant to share photos of Jar Jar Binks because he has a number of abscesses in his dewlap. However, I took him outside today and he was so cute that I HAD to take photos.

As you look at these photos - understand - he is on antibiotics to have the abscesses go away....none of them are in the bone or anything and he doesn't seem to be in any pain as he binkies and plays like normal.

[align=center]
IMG_0273.jpg

This grass makes my ears itch...

IMG_0269.jpg

A cute pose? What's that?

IMG_0263.jpg

Aw come on....no one wants to see my big ears...

IMG_0260.jpg

A CLOSE-UP?????
[/align][align=center]As long as I don't have to wear makeup!
IMG_0255.jpg

Oooh - whats that? A birdie?

IMG_0253.jpg

I'm really pretty sure the grass is greener out there...

IMG_0248.jpg

JUMP for joy...

IMG_0242.jpg
[/align][align=center]TIME TO GO IN ALREADY?????
[/align]

O.k. Peg just to be fair I am giving you this warning. When Josh gets his own place, that will open his room for more cages. Now if you here some bumping around one night ignore it, it will only beme stealing your Flemmies.;)

Sounds like you have decided on a breeding strategy similiar to mine. I wouldn't worry about the increase cost of feed, Art doesn't need to eat everyday!

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Sounds like you have decided on a breeding strategy similiar to mine. I wouldn't worry about the increase cost of feed, Art doesn't need to eat everyday!
With friends like you - he doesn't need a mother in law!

Sometimes trying to feed the rabbitry is a challenge because the girls all try to trip me up so the food goes on the floor and they get it.

So I get desperate....I put food down in the strangest of places.

Here's one example of what I mean....

[align=center]
IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Her brother Rudy is looking on to see what she's got...
IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

By the way - this is one of Harmony's daughters. I love what she is developing into and I love what Rudy is developing into - but he seems to have taken a vow of celibacy....or he decided to give up breeding for Lent or something....
[/align]

I was going through old videos and I found this one - many of you have already seen it - some have not.

Millie is the dog that Angel loves to terrorize.

Hello everybunny and slave. It has come to my attention that mom has already told you about my date with Dukey. However - she obviously did not give you ALL of the information because she did not know it at the time.

So here is the truth.

First of all - I admit it- I had been a bit touchy and grumpy lately. I mean .. its springtime...when a girl dreams of dating and having fun.

But I didn't want any babies.

The does would keep suggesting that I tell mom I needed a date - and since I'm herd matron - I would get my choice of bucks.

But we don't need more kids.

Then Cindy (bless her sweet heart) came up with an idea.

First of all - Cindy is our librarian. She finds all the best books for us to shred but some of them she keeps for herself as "food for thought" so she can share things with us.

It turned out that she learned in one book that when the temperature goes up - bucks can go sterile for up to three days or so.

Well...it HAD been getting warmer,....

I asked her what we needed to do and she said that in another book it talked about sterilizing things and they gave them really good cleanings.

So we talked to Dukey and he agreed to be sterile. He spent two hours grooming himself all over so he'd be clean (we even made him do behind his ears twice). Once we were satisfied that he was clean enough to be sterile....I got into action and of course - you know the rest - mom allowed us to have a date.

Now I'm not a doe to breed and tell...but um....yeah....maybe young bucks are better. I mean - we had quite an active romp for a bit and after a while we settled down to snuggle. Sometimes snuggling is such fun after a date. We talked about getting the girls to bring us some alfalfa so we could lay on our backs and have a smoke....but then we thought maybe we'd get a little more exercise.

Only .... we got into a bit of an argument and mom got upset. She opened the door to make me come out and I hid in the back of the cage. I didn't wanna leave Dukey...I just wanted him to agree to try things MY way.

Mom pulled me out.

We never got to smoke our alfalfa.

I never got to go back in.

After I got taken out - Dotty chased me around for a bit and the girls told me later that although they tried to distract Dotty - she kept watching us from just out of our sight - and crying. She's been sitting by Dukey's cage for days trying to get him to have a date with her - even though he keeps telling her that she's too small.

So a word to all of you does out there reading this .... if you're really wanting a date - wait till the temperatures start going up and then have your buck do a really thorough grooming. He'll be sterile and you can have fun without any babies.

Now what else did I want to share???

Oh....Cindy has been driving Thunder up the wall. She keeps asking her IF she's really pregnant and when she's having babies. Thunder came to me about it - and I told her to ask Cindy WHY she was asking ... and I'd lay somewhere and listen in.

Here is how the talk went.

"So....are you pregnant?"

"Why do you have to know?"

"Cause I need time"

"Time for what?"

"I need time to prepare your bunny shower...there is just so much to do"

"BUNNY WHAT?"

"It was in a human etiquette book. I found chapters fascinating and pulled them out for reference before I turned it over to the herd.

Humans give other humans a shower when they're gonna have a baby. But its not a shower like a bath...its a shower like a party."

"So why would I want a bunny shower?"

"Because it would be fun! There would be food and games and presents and all sorts of stuff..."

"What in the world do you mean?"

"Well - you start out by inviting your "frenemies..."

"HUH??"

"You want to invite your friends - but also your enemies."

"Why would I want to invite you?"

"Oh you silly. Enemies have to come if they're invited and bring the bestest presents so that no one knows they're really an enemy. Its simply really."

"Ok....so what happens?"

"Well, we get together and we play games. I thought we'd play 'Pin the Tail on the Doggy' and blindfold Angel for that one. Then we'd play 'Guess the Number of Babies' and 'Name the babies after famous bunny rabbits' and then we'd have the food."

"Food sounds good"

"Yeah. I've got a list started already - 1/4 cup of crunchies per guest, plus 3 lettuce leaves, 2 baby carrots, and a craisin and a whole banana for everyone too."

"What then?"

"Then you get the presents. You see - we need time to hunt presents for you...things like choicest hay for your nest....and pieces of fabric - and a stinky sock of dad's from under his desk....stuff like that. Maybe even a McDonald's sack. Definitely a phone book for you to shred during labor..."

"And then?"

"Then its over....you get your presents and we're done."

"Why would you want to do this for me? We've never had bunny showers before...and we still make good nests and stuff."

"Yeah....but mom is gonna breed me next month and I WANT A BUNNY SHOWER! So I gotta show you girls how its done. Look - here's the food list for my bunny shower. Plus I'm stealing from the bridal shower and gonna have Dukey do a strip tease with one of the santa costumes....and look at this gift list....its ONLY five pages long!!! I want a Schleich toy bunny (but I'll settle for a chicken if I have to) and I want a Gund stuffed bunny and I want these three books from Robin's room because they're 'collector's editions'. But I gotta show you girls how to do a shower up right!"

NYX HERE AGAIN.....I'm so glad that I raised Thunder right and she won't fall for stuff like that. I went ahead and fell asleep and the girls just woke me up to tell me mom was finally off the computer.

Now...what else was I gonna share?

Oh wait...there seems to be a bit of a scuffle going on - let me check.

GRRRRR! I'm back but I have to head back to my herd matron duties.

All the girls are running around with pieces of paper hanging out of their mouths and trying to find the best gifts. Seems like Cindy is going from girl to girl with an invitation in her mouth and if they're coming - they pull off a piece and go start looking for gifts and supplies.

Mom is so gonna kill us when she wakes up in the morning...

Man....the dogs bark.....I wake up to find pieces of paper all over the floor....the does all hiding......Nyx practically stalking back and forth across the living room.

Do I dare sleep?

I meant to share these photos of Dukey and Dotty - who will NOT be breeding with him - no matter what she says.

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

I have to share a short funny story before I head to bed.

A few minutes ago - I was standing in the rabbitry....talking to a rabbit when suddenly - I am like "OWWW!"

Adam Michael - who had always been afraid of me - reached through the bars and BIT MY ELBOW to get my attention.

I called him Adam Michael and several other names (that are used in Supernatural for describing villains).

He was in shock.

Me too.

This is Cindy, mom's FAVORITE holland lop. I don't have my own account so I had to wait for mom to go to bed so I could get on here and talk to y'all.

Thunder won't tell me for sure if she's pregnant - but I'm sure she HAS to be pregnant. Mom did a "palpate" exam tonight and then took these pictures while Thunder got her snack.

Since they were really dark - she wasn't gonna share them on here.....but I read her photo manuals before I hid them on her...so I worked the pictures so you humans can see what us bunnies see.

[align=center]
IMG_0314-1.jpg

IMG_0317-1.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

[/align][align=left]See - she IS pregnant.....isn't she??? I knew it!!!

Now I gotta go find all sorts of stuff so we can give her a shower before she gets caged tomorrow.

Just don't tell Nyx....ok?

:big wink:
[/align]

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
O.k. Peg just to be fair I am giving you this warning. When Josh gets his own place, that will open his room for more cages. Now if you here some bumping around one night ignore it, it will only beme stealing your Flemmies.;)

Well, I'd been wanting a backup doe for Nyx...but its been a few days (I've been fighting the flu - and losing).

Sometimes breeders choose the timing of the breeding based on their plans.

Sometimes - a breeder gets "lucky" and a doe makes it SOOOO obvious that she wants to breed NOW...that they might change their plans.

I kept hearing noises in the rabbitry. Harmony was running around in her cage - teasing Mercury - trying to not only chin his cage but rub her whole body up against his cage - and running against her cage to the point I think she was trying to move it closer to him.

Guess what I decided?

Here they are after the first breeding...

[align=center]
IMG_0331.jpg

Harmony in the front - she may look upset..but she's really waiting for him to breed again. She was very very VERY willing to breed - I'm not sure I've ever seen a doe that willing.
IMG_0326.jpg

She was NOT happy with me being nearby so she sat in the litterbox till I left.[/align][align=center]I know his cage is dirty- he's one of my filthiest bunnies and she was so desperate to breed - I didn't want to take time to clean it first and get him upset with me.
IMG_0321.jpg

I think they have such beautiful faces....I'm so psyched!!!!
[/align][align=left]Since they weren't happy about the camera - I put it away.

But these are two GORGEOUS rabbits out of two very nice lines. I know I bred them once and there are two from her earlier litter that I'm just super duper impressed with....a doe and a buck.

So I'm pretty excited.

(I'm actually starting to think about maybe holding onto a few of these breedings to go to ARBA Nationals and sell there....not sure. Part of the reason for that is - Dave & Karen (wabbitdad & wabbitmom) live just a few hours away...).

[/align]

I CANNOT wait! I so look forward to reading about the new arrivals :biggrin: Can I have a big grey baby? :biggrin:

[ame=http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1605260179420&comments]Tsunami video- from Japan[/ame]

I don't know if y'all can access this video from facebook - but WOW....pretty scary and not as tame as what CNN, etc are showing....

Hmm the forum is acting really oddly for me so I missed a ton of your posts...

Poor Jar Jar! Man, I knew you were dealing with abscesses but that looks so bad. It must be painful. :( I'm glad he's in your capable hands and I wish him a very speedy recovery. I wonder what makes some more susceptible to them... Jen's Chalk is very prone to them as well...:?

Thank you for sharing that video. I have seen many but I had not seen that one. That really brings things home and puts it into perspective. I simply cannot imagine... My heart aches for them.

Latest posts

Back