Unwanted pregnancy. Great

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixonsrabbitry

Reaction score
AAARRRRGGHHH. I could kill my two year oldnephew right about now. I keep two of my rabbits in the house. He letmy standard rex mix, and my SC breeding buck in with each other. Andyeah by the time I got to them it was too late! My nephew did get aspanking for it. I feel bad for it, but hes got to learn to leave therabbits alone. And he does know that he cant touch the bunnies or openthe cages. But what am i gonna do with a litter of mixed rabbits?? Imsure they'll be cute and all, but mixes are hard to place. And Idefinately wont letthese go as breeders. Nor as pets unlessits a spay nueter contract. Ive got oneother option, to cull as meat.Sorry. Not saying that to offend anyone on here.I know it isa touchy subject. But Ican't take the chance ofsomeone breeding them. And with me already having florida whites andstandard chins with a litter due, I cannot keep them. And I dont havethe money nor transportation to see a vet for an emergency spay.GRRRrrrrrrr.

Don't worry it was only a couple of pats. And Irealize he didn't know any better. And I felt pretty bad afterwards.But he does know to the leave the rabbits alone. And he's got to learn.But, dang, i walked into the back room, he had the doors and the tworabbits going at it.

I really don't believe in taking babies of anykind to a shelter or rescue like that. It would bea breederdump on my part. Which wouldn't be fair to the rescue workers, or therabbits. They see enough of that as it is. and the rabbits would justbe put down. The rescues and shelters that do take them around here arealready full with too many unwanted pet, and breeding rabbits. Theydon't need more. That and most already hate breeders enough for doingsomething like that.I don't need to fuel the fire. :)

I hope to god she misses.

I hope that she isn't pregnant. You have every right to be mad, but don't take it out on your nephew, he's only two.

I've often wondered -- if spanking is so darneffective, then why do parents have to keep doing it over and overagain? (It's obviously not working)

Pam :kiss:

I tottalysympathize Dixon truely I do , having just beenthere myself , I almost wish it was a 2 yrold who did mine up ,but unfortunately we think it was anadult . I agree as a breeder you cantjust take them to a shelter ,it just doesnt look right ,the spay neuter contract is avery good idea but be sureit gets noterized that way itsa legal binding contract without notary its just a paper .

I bet they are going to be beautiful babies rex/chin crosses and oh my thecoats are going to be somethingto behold , My fingers arecrossed for you Hon , lets hope and pray for a miss.

I dunno. i don't usually spank him unless he'sannoying the pets too much. But thats only after I tell him to 'noleave them alone' several times a day. It works for awhile. But eventhen its not done that hard. But then he's right back to annoying themthe next day. Favorite thing is to chase the cats, and terrorize thefish and the birds by yelling at them.

This kid sounds like quite the trouble maker.Two or not, he needs to learn. I'm sorry about what happened!Maybe you should keep him away from the rabbits completely, if that'spossible.

I'm so sorry that happened :?

Two year olds have no impulse control, and little retention. Nottheir fault, it's a stage in their development. I would recommend notleaving your nephew unattended and never allowing him to be nearthe animals when you are not around (better yet, lock the cages).

Fingers crossed that your doe doesn't take.

P.S. - Good Word, Pam. :highfive:

Well most of the time im with him, with theanimals in the house. But he just kinda slipped off on me for a fewjust to visit the bunnies in the backroom after he was told to leavethem alone. He didn't do it intentionally.

To tear away from the subject of the kid...

I would personally sell them as pets with the mandatory spay/neutercontract. Maybe, with you still being the caregiver, you could have therescue write up the paperwork or assist you with it. Possibly use theiradvertising methods.

As far as meat goes, it doesn't bother me, but I don't think I'd everbe able to do it. Truthfully, I'd love to take one of the buns formyself, but my boyfriend would kill me. :foreheadsmack:

Back