Help with Revolution

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a free replacement for the tube that got wasted. and I got a new syringe with needle.
2 days ago I only had little medicine left that was enough for 1 rabbit so I treated the one who obviously had fleas. Today I saw strange stuff in his ears, like some kind of mass that I didn't see before. I haven't tried to clean it (not even sure if I should... ears are sensitive, don't want to mess something up) . Could it be that something comes out, like maybe mites escaping and dying? I wanted to take a picture but he ran away. What do you guys think? the mass is rather massive...
Treating my 2 other rabbits today

I will try tomorrow.
Does anyone have the insert for Revolution? What does it say about keeping unused tube content? Can it be done or not (if tightly closed) ?

I dont think it says. You can access it on their website actually.
They do intend you to use the entire tube on your animal.
I cant remember if its light sensitive. But i would just cap the tube then tabe it shut nice and snug to avoid evaporation.

Looks like possibly ear mites to me, however I don't have expirence/ a lot of knowledge about them, so hopefully someone who knows a bit more can elaborate/give more info!

thanks!
as I said before, I noticed this stuff soon after I treated him with Revolution.
The main question is if anything needs to be done with it?

So is it safe to give the second dose in just one week (18 mg/kg) or should I wait a month?

It does look like it could be ear mites.
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm
If so the revolution should take care of it. It's possible the one dose will be enough, or you could do a second dose to be safe. Most sources say if a second dose is needed, to do it after 30 days. To interrupt the mites life cycle, ivermectin is given every two weeks, so reapplying the revolution after one week seems like it would be too soon. I wouldn't reapply it any sooner than two weeks if you do reapply it. Sorry, there's just not a ton of dosing research for rabbits when it comes to this med. Most everything says one dose is enough, but I think this is mostly based on cat and dog dosing.

You should start seeing improvement in the first two weeks. If not you may need to take him to the vet in case there is a secondary infection going on as well.

You should start seeing improvement in the first two weeks. If not you may need to take him to the vet in case there is a secondary infection going on as well.
thank you.
The problem is that there is nothing to improve -- they haven't shown any sign of distress except for sometimes scratching their ears while shaking their head (not too much) which I thought was normal.
2 out of 3 bunnies recently went to the vet (one of them even to two different vets) and the 3rd bunny seems to be really healthy, and none of the vets told me they had mites or fleas. The reason why I treated is to prevent, and also I spread out fur on this white rabbit and saw small specs like fleas poop. Stuff in his ears appeared about 2 days after he was treated.

The improvement that you will see will be that crusting in the ear should start to go away and heal, as well as seeing less flea dirt in the fur and hopefully no fleas. Maybe that stuff in the ears appeared after treatment because it was deep in the ear and now the crusting from the mites is starting to work it's way out of the ear now the mites have been killed off. If you can take a look at the ear, see if the crusting is loose and if you can remove it. If it's not completely loose, don't try and pull it off.

It also may just be ear wax, and if so you can use a cotton bud to remove it. I can't really tell for sure in the pictures. It just appears like it could be mites, but only you can see it close up and will be able to make the best determination.

that's right.
Could someone describe how mites in ears would be different from the wax?
I don't see anything alive there, to me it looks like wax.
My main concern: if crust falls off, it would certainly end up inside the ear; could it block something for him?

I used Revolution twice during summer months. Is there any need to keep treating my buns in the winter? They spend their time between back yard and garage.

If they go outside to the back yard still that means your winter is not drastic enouh to kill the bad things so yes you need to still treat. Perhaps if you lived in alaska or saskatchewan and got 40 below.... but when your winters are... pathetic like mine.... you still need to keep up all year long.

If they go outside to the back yard still that means your winter is not drastic enouh to kill the bad things so yes you need to still treat. Perhaps if you lived in alaska or saskatchewan and got 40 below.... but when your winters are... pathetic like mine.... you still need to keep up all year long.
you guys use Celsius in Canada, correct? did you mean -40C? (I am well familiar with C, just wondered))

you guys use Celsius in Canada, correct? did you mean -40C? (I am well familiar with C, just wondered))
-40 celcius is actually the exact same as -40 Fahrenheit.

I just meant if youre letting your rabbits outside. Its probably not cold enough to kill fleas and ticks enough to go with out using protection. Otherwise it would be too cold for buns to be outside.

-40 celcius is actually the exact same as -40 Fahrenheit.

I just meant if youre letting your rabbits outside. Its probably not cold enough to kill fleas and ticks enough to go with out using protection. Otherwise it would be too cold for buns to be outside.
it depends on the point of view. As I said, my rabbits go outside every day except for the days when the rain is pouring that hard that the yard is flooded (or yard full of snow but even then we clean a path for them). I do take them inside for the night. But a lot of people here keep rabbits outside year around.
It was 15F high yesterday with wind making it worse. I give them a choice - to stay inside or go out. Females went in and out, the male preferred to stay inside (he is kinda lazy)

The idea is that freezing temperatures (0c or 32f) are supposed to kill fleas (as well as ticks and mites, but im just going to use the word flea).
This is not always true. Fleas find ways to survive. Otherwise those who live in spots where it goes below freezing wouldn't have fleas in the summer either.
It frequently drops below freezing here (32f), and we have fleas all year long.
If its raining that means temps are warmer and it's not freezing (otherwise you would have snow)

http://animals.mom.me/fleas-die-freezes-2838.html
http://www.1800petmeds.com/education/faq-fleas-dog-cat-7.htm#winter

I treat my animals with flea prevention all year long, and recommend anyone who doesn't live in feet of snow all winter long continue to treat their pets during the winter.

Back