Zeke's Sudden Outbursts of Very Bad Behavior...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklyyy

Reaction score
Zeke, my male mini lop,used to be relatively well behaved, but in the past month, things have gone way, way downhill. He lives in a 3panel x 2panel two-story NIC cage that I built him. The door is always open, though, and he has free run of the guest bedroom in my house. Here's what he's been up to:

He's been jumping up onto the bed for the first time, ever (he was never much of a jumper). He chewed a hole in the bed spread, so I took the bed spread off. Then he chewed a hole in the mattress cover! He alsourinated on the mattress cover three times! He's been chewing the molding all over the room, and tearing up the carpet in every corner. He's chewed to pieces to Coroplast bottom I bought for his cage. He's also been leaving poops all over the room.

I don't understand what's going on. He was always perfectly litter trained, and now the pooping, and more troublesome, the urinating, all over! I bought a chew deterrant spray and he licks the stuff like it's a treat! The only thing that's worked is rubbing red pepper on the edges of the Coroplast, but that's not practical to do all over the room. He's quite a spoiled bunny and has TONS of chew toys in his cage. He leaves those alone and opts to be destructive to furniture, etc. Also, as I type this, I'm laying on the floor with my laptop, and he's clawing at my pants! I'm really clueless as to why he's exhibiting such behavior. He's a little over a year-old and was neutered back in January. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to get him back on track with litter training and to stop his chewing and clawing?

Erin

My rabbit also has a thing for bed and baseboard destruction. She has the run of our living room but if the bedroom door is left open she rushes in and napalms the bed. She's very well behaved but seems to revel is the befoulment of a bed. My suggestion would be to keep her away from the bed entirely. It may be a territory thing.

As for the chewing, we solved that by making our bunny a cardboard condo; it's made from large cardboard boxed, it's two level, has a million doors is and jam packed with chewable cardboard things. She seems content to chew on her condo (which is on the other side of the room from her hutch) rather than the trim. If you rabbit is feeling the need to re-decorate give him a space of his own to do it in.

Just some suggestions,

-Kwe

Sorry! Didn't read all the way to the end of your post. He'll be way past puberty then! Maybe he's bored. Try rotating his toys each week so he doesn't see them all, all the time. Maybe a companion is needed?

mummybunny

I appreciate the suggestions!Buying Zeke a friend right now is out of the question. It's hard for me to think that he's lonely or bored. He has a whole room to himself full of hiding spots, places where he can jump, run, etc., and tons of toys, including cardboard,recycled egg cartons, and other things to chew on.Rotating toys couldn't hurt, though.

He's also been chewing a bit on people! I was just playing with him and he head butts me a lot, then goes to chew on my clothes! I'll clap my hands and say 'no' loudly. This startles him. Still, he goes back for more. The head butting, chewing, and clawing, is out of control! I don't know what's up with him. He's never acted like this. I don't think it's seasonal or hormonal since he was neutered. Help???

Erin

sparklyyy wrote:
He's also been chewing a bit on people! I was just playing with him and he head butts me a lot, then goes to chew on my clothes! I'll clap my hands and say 'no' loudly. This startles him. Still, he goes back for more. The head butting, chewing, and clawing, is out of control!
this may sound stupid, but what does 'head butting' mean? thx!

Sounds like he might be bored?...

The rotating toys thing is definately one thing to do. I find my buns get bored of their toys very quickly, but if I let them have a toy for a couple days, then put it away and give them something else - it keeps them more entertained.

Also try to come up with new things forhim to do daily - projects to work on in his cage. A phone book one day, a box full of shredder paper the next... I filled a water bottle with oats and cut holes in the bottle(someone's suggestion here on the forum) - Misty spent all day working on getting the oats out... Lots of good ideas around the forum for new creative toys.

Good luck.

Don't know how to help with the bed thing - Misty would consistently pee on our bed because she really wanted it to be hers and it smelled like us - so I think the peeing was her way of marking it... over and over until after the 3rd time wejust raised our bed higher so she could not jump onto it.

Latest posts

Back