Young Doe not growing--need ideals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABBUNNY

Reaction score
She was born May 2 and only weighs 7 lbs my other 2 around the same age weigh 8 & 8 1/2 pounds . Need some help please

A rabbit's growth is part genetics and part environment. If she has been in a clean, healthy environment with adequate nutrition, she must just be genetically smaller than the others.

The only way to "fix" this is to cull (as in remove- not suggesting any particular methods) smaller rabbits from your herd and just work with the larger rabbits who meet the weight requirements for your breed. This assuming you're a breeder? Since you said you wanted to show. If not, it's probably best to sell Nora as (or keep her as) a pet and invest in a larger doe who you'll be able to show.

Thank you I know this I just really like this lil Doe other than weight she is very pretty. Thank you very much for your time:(

Annette i have no idea what shes suppose to weigh..maybe u can find somebody on here who breeds NZ's maybe they can give u more info...or repost a dif question in the breeders section asking what her appropriate weight should be at her age...they are very helpful in that section..:)

Well, take into account that I've not worked with NZ's, so I'm not exactly sure what their weight/age ratio generally looks like.

But most commercial breeds do a lot of their growing in the first couple weeks of their life. So by her age, your rabbit has done a majority of her growing. I don't know what the show weight of this breed is off hand? But I wouldn't expect her to gain more than 1-2 lbs. before final maturity. It never hurts to grow her out though just to see, since she seems special to you. :)

Back