Young Bunny from pet store humping my show rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larzy

Reaction score
Sorry if this is common knowledge of rabbit behavior or answered anywhere else in this forum. However, I just rescued a new holland lop from the pet store and he seems to be very young. I just introduced him briefly to my mature show bunny which has never been mated before. He instantly started humping her within a few minutes. I did not know he was a male until now. Is this normal? He seems much smaller than her. She did not seem to mind however, I split them up asap. Being I don't know his actual age does this necessarily mean he is fertile? Please forgive me but I am new to raising rabbits.

Just cause the bunny is humping doesn't necessarily mean it's a boy. Females will do it to. You have to check them to know for sure. A young rabbit may be a little harder to tell for sure what it is yet. If it is a boy, they can be fertile pretty young, and could actually get your doe pregnant. So unless that is something you are wanting, if it is a boy bunny, you should keep them separated.

you'll need to figure out the gender on that young rabbit.

and keeping them separated for a month is a really good idea until you know if new bunny is carrying any diseases.

Humping is not always a breeding thing, but more of a "who's in charge" type of behaviour.

Back