Young Bunnies - Any Advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyKisses

Reaction score
I am currently fostering 2 young bunnies, about 7weeks old. (Though, they are so cute, sweet, fun, etc. that I caneasily see myself keeping them!) I was just wondering if anyone has anyadvice for me, training wise, as well as any other fun tips. I have hadbunnies before, so I know the basics. One thing that I have had troublewith in the past was chewing (mainly the floor boards, carpet, etc.). Ihad one bunny that was especially troublesome in this area and shewould not respond to loud "NO!" and clapping noises. I've heard that asquirt with a water bottle can be useful... She was so bad thateventually I had to give her back to the rescue organization becauseshe was tearing up my apartment. On the other hand, I had another bunnythat was perfectly well behaved - no issues at all other than that hegot extremely sick at the end and had to be given back as well. I gotboth of those bunnies when they were about a year old. I am hoping thatin getting these two new bunnies at such a young age that with time andpatience they will grow to be well behaved, "free-range" and friendlyhouse rabbits. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows at what age theears completely flop over if they're going to at all. I ask thisbecause one of the bunnies has one floppy ear and one straight ear(which I think is absolutely adorable!). Anyways...thanks in advance!

I've heard about the squirt with the waterbottle. For some reason, I am a big baby and I don't wanna dothat to my sweeties. I've also heard that stomping your foot(like rabbits do when scared) might be a good way to get theirattention in discipline. My mom used to show rabbits and todiscipline them she would cut their "house time" short. Whenthey acted up in the house, she would take them to theircages. If it was biting or chewing, as soon as they did it,she would clap loud, tell them "NO!" And playtime wasover. She said that worked, slowly, but surely.I've been doing that with my new buns and I think it'sworking. (I've only had them for 5 weeks.)

OH! By the way, my mom's rabbits were so nice.Kinda like dogs. They were very friendly andwell-behaved.

Good luck, keep us posted :)

Hello and Welcome.

I truly do not mean to offend you. It seems as though you arelooking for the pefect rabbit and that bunny has not beenborn yet. I found it so sad that both of your bunns were returned. Thatsaid I will do what I can to help.

The best resource I can send you to is right here on thisforum. It is a thread called Rabbit Care Cheat Sheet. You will most ofyour questions answered there. There are also awesome llinks to moretopics. It really helps.

I hope it works out and Good Luck.

Tina

The reason that my second one was returned was along story. After him being sick for quite awhile, the vet went in toremove what they thought was infected tissue. Instead, I was told thathe had cancer, and that they would have to remove half of his face toget it all. I was also told that he was suffering greatly and thatputting him down would be the best thing for him. When I called theRabbit Organization to let them know what was going on, they offered totake him back because they had a feeling that it was an abcess ratherthan cancer. I had exhausted all of my resources (monetarily,emotionally, etc.) and I wasn't as knowledgeable as they were, so Ifelt that was truly the best thing for him. If he gets better, then Iwill get him back. Meanwhile, they are letting me foster these twodelightful babies.

I really didn't want to or mean to offendyou. It was actually the first bunn I was refering to. But Idon't know the full story and have no right judging anybody oranything. I just am ired by some people's attitudes. That if the rabbitdoesn't act just right then get rid of it. That is obviously not thecase with you.
I am sorry to hear about your second bunn. How awful for you and for him.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
I just am ired by some people's attitudes. That ifthe rabbit doesn't act just right then get rid of it.

It is frustrating to see perfectly good rabbits "dumped", neglected,and/or abused(not talking about this post, but my personalexperience :)). I rescued one of those. (ok, she did have some majoremotional issues:p)

On the other hand, I once gave away a gorgeous healthy broken castorpurebred Mini-Rex buck, about 4 yrs. old, because we didn't get alongtoo well. Looong story. :pI knew the new owners (small-timebreeders and rabbit lovers) and thought it would be a great fit. Itwas. He was their favorite, and was treated like the prince he alwaysthought he was. They even brought him back to see me once.

There is one rabbit that I sent to a new home, that I still feel guiltyabout, years later. But I was young, and made a mistake. I hope he didall right.:?

My babies went to great homes (except for the breeder's choice for theloan of the doe :(), and almost all of my adults live with me for theirentire natural lives, regardless of problems.

So one person's "problem" can be another person's perfect fit!

Welcome BunnyKisses! Good luck!

Rose

Latest posts

Back