young bunnies and fresh forage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
We just got 2 very young dwarf bunnies (6-8weeks) a few days ago. I don't have any hay but some should be here by the end of the week. How much grass or forage is safe? How slowly do I have to introduce it? I used to feed guinea pigs a pelletless diet and know plenty of safe forages that exist on the property (80 acres set aside for wildlife) as well as an herb garden I planted for them. We can easily make up for the lack of hay for awhile if they can have unlimited amounts of grass and other things but I don't know how slowly rabbits have to be adjusted to greens when they were only eating pellets and hay before or if young bunnies should be restricted.

Were they raised with fresh veggies? If not, I would wait until at least 12 weeks if not longer until you slowly begin introducing veggies (one at a time over the course of a week). Fresh foods like that can be very very hard on little tummies that aren't used to them.

They really need to have hay at all times. Is it possible to pick up a small bag at a petstore to get them by until the shipment arrives?

We're an hour drive from anything in the middle of corn fields. The bunnies were from a local feedstore which doesn't sell hay although they feed it. I ordered from kmshayloft for now and will find someone to get a bale from i the future. Just not today... or tomorrow... I ordered on Monday so I'm hoping by Friday we have hay.

If you live in a rural area it shouldn't be too hard to find hay. Funny the feed store doesn't sell it. In general, cow hay is not high enough quality, but if there are any horse farms around they might be willing to sell you a flake of hay or something for a few dollars.

If you live in a rural area it shouldn't be too hard to find hay. Funny the feed store doesn't sell it. In general, cow hay is not high enough quality, but if there are any horse farms around they might be willing to sell you a flake of hay or something for a few dollars.

I got numbers for 2 people with square baled grass hay and we found some alfalfa cubes for now. The hay I ordered isn't suppose to be here until Monday.

I would not suggest introducing greens until maturity in any case, but definitely not if they've been raised on dry food. Maturity of smaller breeds is around 6-8 months.

Young bunnies are very sensitive to diet changes so you need to start with the same diet as they grew up on then make any changes you want gradually. If you can't feed the same dry food etc. then plain hay is best (least likely to cause upset) then gradually introduce anything else beginning with small quantities.

Back