Yoga

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBug

Reaction score
any body else on here do yoga? i decided to try doing 20-30 minutes a day, five days a week and see if it helps at all. it's supposed to help with blood sugar control, too. and it's supposed to be as good for you as running or something. we have some DVDs from walmart. i tried to find a yoga forum, but i couldn't find anything that wasn't really 'spiritual' if you know what i mean. like connecting with your past, present and future lives. a bit too freaky for me, LOL! so i thought i'd see if there were any 'sane' bunny people on here who do yoga too:biggrin2:

that was a bit ramble-y, sorry! hopefully y'all get my gist:?:shock:

I LOVE yoga! I was in the same "boat" as you when I started. Didn't want to get into the spiritual/meditation aspects. A friend of mine got me to try out a Power Yoga class. It was fabulous! It was an hour long and a true workout. Power Yoga is a bit different than Hatha or many of the other types out there. Our instructor was patient, good at explaining postures, and (though there was a relaxation time at the end) never pushed meditation or any spiritual message.

Since that time our instructor has retired and I have yet to find a class quite as awesome. I do have quite a few tapes, though. Rodney Yee is fabulous, if you can find some of his tapes. He will move you through postures quite rapidly, so you will want to watch the tapes a few times first.

When to do yoga? Morning tends to be the right time mentally...but be careful not to push your cold muscles too much. Evening is generally when you will find yourself most flexible and limber...but your mind may be tired and filled with the events of the day, making it difficult to concentrate. I enjoy mixing my yoga times to take advantage of both my mind and body's peak moments.

Yoga really helped me with some digestive issues I was facing a few years back. Balancing postures are some of my favorites...real challenges at times.

So glad to find another yoga fan here on RO!

~Mary Ellen

I've been interested in starting Yoga. I remember i did the 'warm-up' of a yoga video and it was really good, made me so relaxed. Although sadly, it doesn't burn many carbs (i don't think?)

I really should do it again. I'm so unfit and unflexable its unreal. Can't touch my toes.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

pinksalamander wrote:
I've been interested in starting Yoga. I remember i did the 'warm-up' of a yoga video and it was really good, made me so relaxed. Although sadly, it doesn't burn many carbs (i don't think?)

I really should do it again. I'm so unfit and unflexable its unreal. Can't touch my toes.

just the warm up or yoga in general? i have the advantage(i guess:p)of going to a doctor every three months(Endo, diabetes doctor) and he has wanted me to exercise for a really long time. last time we were in i asked if yoga counted. i got a very enthusiastic yes. it is very much exercise and i believe it does burn carbs. my muscles were 'humming' after a 30 minute session a few days ago; you get warm. so i think it does count and burn carbs:cool:

and body else want to chime in here? i'm just parroting my doctor:D

I was always under the impression that it was more about toning the body rather than burning fat. I did enjoy it but i saw it a little pointless to ton up muscles when they are hidden beneath a layer of podge :p

EDIT: Looekd it up, i found this calculator. For me, an hour gentle yoga would burn 234 calories. Thats 2/3 of a packet of my favourite type of sweets, its not great but i guess its better than nothin! I reckon 234 calories is like a basic sandwhich, chicken or tuna or something.

Again, it depends on the type of yoga you are practicing. Trust me when I say that power yoga is a workout that burns calories. Is it aerobic like running, swimming, or biking? No... But it will burn calories and increase your flexibility. The extra flexibility and improved muscle tone should make aerobic activity easier and make you less injury-prone.

I think that aerobic exercise, yoga (or some type of core muscle improvement/flexibility training), and weight training are an awesome trio for overall fitness. Now if I could just find the time to work it all into my schedule. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back