xpen height?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburgi

Reaction score
We have a new bunny and I'd like to get an xpen for him to be able to run around in. I'd prefer a plastic one since it'll be for indoor use. I found a few plastic ones that are actually expandable to make an even bigger floor space, which is great, but their height is 26". Is that too short? He's a dwarf so he won't get huge. He's got fairly long ears though which I read is an indicator of adult size?

Thanks!

It really depends on the rabbit, size isn't a good indication of jumping ability. Some rabbits won't try to jump out of an 18" pen, while others will try to clean a 48" pen. A larger breed would need a taller one just because they can stand up taller, but smaller breeds tend to be able to get more height.
You could try the 26" pen and see how it goes, but you may need something taller later on.

Ear size isn't always an indication that a rabbit will be bigger. While larger breeds to tend to have big ears, it is about proportion to the body. A dwarf can have long ears for the breed, but not really get much bigger than average for that breed. Weight is more of an indicator of adult size. A rabbit that is 4 pounds at 10 weeks old is apt to be 8 or 9 pounds full grown, a rabbit that is 2 pounds at 10 weeks might only be 4 pounds as an adult.

OK I just weighed him and he is 1lb 7oz and he is 7.5 weeks old, so I'm guessing he'll be around the 4 lb mark, which is what we kind of thought anyways. Although I don't know the weight of his mama, she looked and felt to be around that size.

OK, maybe I'll go with the 26" for now and see how it goes.

I did find this one, which looks nice, and it's 34" tall, but I'm not sure about that door? It seems like it would be super awkward to get him out if he does not come hopping up to the door lol:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Iris-8-Panel-Indoor-Outdoor-Pet-Pen-63-Wx63-Lx34H-White-Dogs/15603594

That door does look awkward. You might be able to set it up so you can just open the whole panel. There are some x-pens with a walk through door, which is quite helpful when you need to get into the pen.

A walk through door is really helpful. :)
As for height, I'd go for the highest you can get, in case your bunny turns out to be a jumper, haha!

Latest posts

Back