Worst Vacation Ever :-)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score

Im going to be gone from December 13-18 (wed-mon). Im going to visit mybest friend who lives in Oklahoma (she just got married, her husband isin Iraq and shes lonely).

I definitely dont have the money for this, but I felt bad seeing as howshe's lived there for a year and Ive yet to visit.

Anyway, I'll try to log on at least once a day to check on things :).

Haley

Oh man...I wish I was going to OKC. We loveMyraid Gardens .... and the Kirkpatrick Center...and man...now I've gotto go find some cheese to go with my whine...

Peg

are you serious? I didnt think there wasanything cool there. I was all pouty because what little money I haveis going to this trip and Id rather be going anywhere else (actually Idrather be coming to Texas for that matter. Texas is great!)

How far are you from OKC Peg?

Now I'm about 10-12 hours from OklahomaCity...but we lived in Altus for about 10 years I think...8 years thefirst time and then we went back there when Art retired from the AirForce. For us, OKC was the "big city" and we tried to make it up thereat least 2-3 times per year.

Depending upon how cold it is, you may want to see the memorial for thebuilding that blew up there in OKC back in the 90's. We went there thelast time we were in OKC...very touching. (Also free).

Myraid Gardens is awesome - an indoor botanical place with Geckosrunning around. One side is rainforest (complete with waterfall) andthe other side is desert. I want to say it is like $5 or so for avisit...

Ok so it is $6 for adults. http://www.myriadgardens.com/index.html

OKC also has an underground concourse that is free. http://www.superpages.com/cities/mtg/46299/

Here is the description:

A downtown "city beneath the city," the underground tunnel systemconnects nearly all the downtown buildings in a 20-square-block area.It is one of the most extensive all-enclosed pedestrian systems in thecountry. Offices, shops, and restaurants line the concourse system.(Monday-Friday)

Make sure to wear comfortable shoes for walking. It was neat if youdon't already live in a city. There were banks under there and cornerdrugstores and cigar stores and places to eat. For us "hicks" it wasfascinating.

Here is another link for information about OKC:

http://www.okccvb.org/thingstosee.html

I don't know how broke you'll be but a lot of places will be like $5 - $10.

The Omniplex (Kirkpatrick Center) is $9.50

http://www.omniplex.org/visi.htm

We love science so it was one of our favorite places to go.

You can also see the planetarium show for $8.25 or something like that.

The water taxi is $6.50 for an all day pass. http://www.watertaxi.com/WaterTaxiHome/WTHome.Asp

Those are just some ideas....

Peg

Thanks for the tips!

My frienddoesPRfor Oklahoma Parks andRec, so she can get us into most things free. Im just never sure whereshes gonna take me though, so thanks for the advice. I told her if shestaking me away from my bunnies there better at least be a trip to thezoo planned (if its warm enough). But I'll be sure to check out theMyriad Gardens!

Too bad youre so far away. I would love to come out and meet Tiny andthe whole crew :DBut then again, Id probably end up smugglinga bunny home with me so maybe its better that youre not closer:ponder:

It will be nice to get away for a few days, regardless.

One of our really favorite things in OKC was theunderground concourse. I know - sounds silly...but Art & I hadread about it in a book and mentioned it to a volunteer at Myraid andshe said, "Oh...there really is a concourse". Since we were in the cityfor the day w/ the kids anyway....we said, "tell us more" and off wewent, map in hand to see all the different things we could see.

I was exhausted and we didn't walk nearly as much of it was we could have. We got lost a time or two also.

But it was a blast to come up into some of the lobbies and see them andthen to go back into the concourse and see guards standing in banks aspeople walked by them.

It was such a new "culture" type thing for us.

Years later when we moved to Andrews AFB and used the DC metro system -it was like, "Oh...wow..this reminds us of the concourse in OKC"

Peg

I just talked to my friend in OKC and I said"hey, a friend on mine said I should check out the myriad gardens". Shewas about ready to reach through the phone and slap me..thats actuallywho she mainly works for. I guess shes been going on about the placethis whole past year and I never paid attention. hehe.

So were going there for sure. Oh, and the concourse is closed forrenovation. She said its pretty cool and should be really nice once itsdone!

Im actually getting excited to blow out of here for a few days. Nervousabout all my bunnies though! How does anyone (who doesnt have sas as asitter) manage to get away?!

Haley wrote:
Ijust talked to my friend in OKC and I said "hey, a friend on mine saidI should check out the myriad gardens". She was about ready to reachthrough the phone and slap me..thats actually who she mainly works for.I guess shes been going on about the place this whole past year and Inever paid attention. hehe.

:lol

I do have a laptop, but Im gonna leave it at home. Im too much of a klutz ;)

I'll have internet access though, so I'll be checking in. Im just soworried about Max, but he will be in good hands with my boyfriend..

:pray:

Latest posts

Back