worried about my doe after birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
last week my fuzzy lop delivered her first litter and struggled and the first one came DOA and the second one wasn't coming and the head was stuck so after about 20 mins or so I help pull it out and it was DOA also. Well I'm not sure if she delivered the placenta? She has been eating and acting fine but she has been soiling her butt area with urine. It seems like it pools around her area and is all wet and yellow. I noticed this just a couple days ago. She delivered her litter march 3 so it has been 6 days. I tried palpitating to feel to see if something was still there but I'm not feeling anything but not sure what to look for.

any suggestions before I bring her in?

I think if this is unusual behavior for her - I'd go ahead and bring her in. Better to check for an infection from a retained placenta than risk losing her.

I did this with a doe right before Jan. 1st - it looked like she'd retained a placenta. We wound up putting her on antibiotics and it was a big help and she recovered just fine (and her due date is tonight!)

Good luck!

The vet palpated her at first but couldn't find anything so they did x-rays and they also did an ultrasound (which the vet didn't charge me for because it was something she wanted to do herself to verify something).

They did put her on Baytril and I noticed a major difference in her in about 2 days.

At the time we couldn't be 100% sure she had an infection but we also couldn't be 100% sure she didn't have one - so we both felt it was better to treat her as if she had an infection since she really seemed to feel miserable and her milk wasn't coming in and stuff.

It's better safe than sorry. An ultrasound can show if anything is "left behind". She could have another fetus in there... or just started with pyometria (uterine infection). Better to get her checked, especially if you intend to breed her again.

Latest posts

Back