Worried about my bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks my rabbit's behaviour has changed almost completely, she must be about 4-5 months old now (can't remember exactly but had her since birth). She started making odd noises (almost like growling) when taking her out of her hutch and making noises like she was distressed (now does this even when i hold her after taking her out). She stamps her foot a lot now + scratches (like she's trying to dig)
Recently she's been hiding her head a lot more, she'll make the noises when i put my hand in her hutch... until i hold her head in my hand, after that she'll start clicking her teeth a bit.. i think that's good? She still licks me quite a lot, especially after the head holding. She'll sit happily on my lap for a bit.. then start stamping / scratching and if i put her on the floor, she'll still stamp. She doesn't seem to do that running jumpy thing anymore.
She just seems generally unhappy at the moment :(, i was wondering whether this is a phase to do with her maturing and i should just wait for it to be over, or whether i should get her spayed asap or maybe this is just her personality? Thanks in advance for any responses.

That sounds very much like a teenage bun. I would suggest getting her spayed because that should sort out the grunting and the territorial issues and hopefully leave you with a content bun, not a hormonal bun.

Great, thanks for the replies and that thread you posted really puts me at ease. I can't get her spayed for another month and a half i think (because she's only 4.5 months old and i heard girls have to be over 6). Thank you very much, i was very worried.

I would talk to your rabbit savvy vet because different vets have different ways of working, some might wait until 4, 5, 6 months, some might wait for a specific weight, etc, so it's worth giving them a call.

I'm not sure whether my local vet is very good with rabbits... not sure how to find out and i checked the list of rabbit savvy vets in england and couldn't see any particularly close to me.

My vet actually suggested spaying at 5 months because as rabbits age, they develop a fat padding around their uterus (which serves as extra protection for the babies) but makes it more difficult to spay and increases the bleeding risk. My bunny, Toot, was spayed at 5 months and did great...

Latest posts

Back