Worms in bunny fresh poop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alybrooke

Reaction score
Please help is this worms in my bunny’s poop? This is fresh she just did this. our carpet is close to this color, she has been digging at it and eating it lately and I’ve been having to put her in only one room rather than free range - she has been having mushy poop and normal poop but this is fresh just now! Should I be worried?!

Attachments

• 3D6D2182-FE62-4116-8464-B91A6E552653.jpeg
    3D6D2182-FE62-4116-8464-B91A6E552653.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 0A99E71B-4351-4CF4-8826-8E84ECF54279.jpeg
    0A99E71B-4351-4CF4-8826-8E84ECF54279.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
It does look like pinworms. The treatment is fenbendazole(Panacur, Safeguard liquid) at 20mg/kg. I prefer to do a minimum 5 day course, then repeat in 10 days, or give a straight 10 day course. If you aren't familiar with giving deworming treatments I would suggest consulting with your knowledgeable rabbit vet.

Medirabbit: pinworms

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

It does look like pinworms. The treatment is fenbendazole(Panacur, Safeguard liquid) at 20mg/kg. I prefer to do a minimum 5 day course, then repeat in 10 days, or give a straight 10 day course. If you aren't familiar with giving deworming treatments I would suggest consulting with your knowledgeable rabbit vet.

Thank you for the response, where would I get this medication? I have an emergency appointment tomorrow morning at 8am with the vet. I have 2 bunnies both with these worms I’m very worried about them!

As long as they're eating normally, acting normally, and at a healthy weight, pinworms isn't usually a serious problem, just more gross than anything. It's when it's a heavy worm load that starts to affect their eating, causing stasis issues, and/or weight loss, that it's a more serious concern. So as long as none of that is going on, I would think you would be ok having them seen anytime this next week. Though if you feel you need to get them into the emergency appoitment, then certainly do that. The vet will likely give you Panacur liquid for them.

I'm used to deworming animals, so I usually just buy the Safeguard goat dewormer liquid, and do it myself. But if you're not used to doing such things, it's probably best to have your vet help you out.

Took my baby to the vet this morning for the emergency appointment just to be sure, I found out that she is actually a HE… interesting! Lol and they shaved pumpkins bottom because of the poopy butt and clipped him. They have pumpkin this medication! Does that look safe?
As long as they're eating normally, acting normally, and at a healthy weight, pinworms isn't usually a serious problem, just more gross than anything. It's when it's a heavy worm load that starts to affect their eating, causing stasis issues, and/or weight loss, that it's a more serious concern. So as long as none of that is going on, I would think you would be ok having them seen anytime this next week. Though if you feel you need to get them into the emergency appoitment, then certainly do that. The vet will likely give you Panacur liquid for them.

I'm used to deworming animals, so I usually just buy the Safeguard goat dewormer liquid, and do it myself. But if you're not used to doing such things, it's probably best to have your vet help you out.
lengthy reply, but I took them both to the vet yesterday one at 8 one at 5:30 come to find out my pumpkin is a BOY, not a girl. (Which I had suspected as he got older) cinnamon however is a girl, meaning she is pregnant, pet store said they were both females when I got them at 8 weeks old. Cinnamon is pregnant they couldn’t tell how many or how far but could definitely see spines developed in the ultrasound, they can’t treat her for pinworms because it could harm the babies. Pumpkin is being treated she was given a topical cream on her neck and something she takes in her mouth daily .02 ml of it. I’ll attach a picture. Pumpkin was 3.8 pounds, cinnamon was 3.6 is that healthy? They are lop bunnies both 6 months, they are also from the same litter, which concerns me for the babies.

Attachments

• 2DFE0C9D-EA35-442C-BC48-D92391989F41.jpeg
    2DFE0C9D-EA35-442C-BC48-D92391989F41.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Yes, the panacur is used to treat pinworms, though the dosage is less than I've usually seen recommended(20mg/ml). You're bun is about 1.75kg and is getting 0.2ml, or 20mg total, if that's the 100mg/ml suspension. 35mg(0.35ml) would be the usual dose for a rabbit that size, but maybe it's enough for treating pinworms. If you're concerned about the dose being too low, I would ask your vet about it.

It's good the vet is doing 5 days straight, then a dose 2 weeks later. Not all vets know to do the 5 days minimum. Also, if all the doses are combined in one syringe, you'll need to be careful about only syringing the correct amount. If you think that might be too difficult, you could squirt it all into a small dish or cup(I use the small medicine cups), then just draw up the needed 0.2ml into the syringe to administer each time, making sure to stir a bit to mix, before drawing it up.

I'm not sure why the Revolution is needed, unless your vet is just trying to cover all bases of parasite treatment. Revolution is usually used more for external parasites with rabbits (eg. mites, fleas).

It's not usually a concern for related rabbits to reproduce together unless they have obvious genetic health problems, so it's not something I would be overly concerned about if they don't appear to have any problems. Mis-sexing baby rabbits is fairly common, as it can sometimes be very difficult to determine their sex until they're more mature, at around 4 months old.

Their weight is in the normal range for Holland lops, if that's their breed. Though if it's a good weight for them, is best determined by checking body condition, as it will vary with each rabbit.

Monitoring your rabbits weight

Back